: Why does this Brougham have a stretched roof?

My_favorite_Brougham
12-12-06, 09:41 PM
I've seen a few of these floating around on the market, and always wondered about them. Is it some kind of "presidential" package - some have rear window curatains? Looks like it should be bullet-proof. Is this a factory car or a modified coach? Just wondering, because it seems rather pointless to modify a car and only stretch the roof up a little. Besides, it kinda screws up the look of these classy Broughams, don't you think? Hmm?

http://photos.ebizautos.com/4914/1357353_6.jpg

http://photos.ebizautos.com/4914/1357353_26.jpg
ebay: 190062442143

Also, I saw one of these "streched up" Broughams and it had rear vanities. Were those available for... // Can I get those for... a 90-92 Brougham?

77CDV
12-12-06, 09:52 PM
Looks like some kind of professional car conversion, possilby aftermarket. Rear seat vanity mirrors were not a factory option on these cars.

Craig

codewize
12-12-06, 10:17 PM
I thought the rear vanities were on all Broughams? No?

N0DIH
12-12-06, 10:41 PM
Run it by Sandy

caddycruiser
12-13-06, 12:41 PM
I thought the rear vanities were on all Broughams? No?

No, only '93-96 Broughams.

These special roofs are part of a custom job, I believe, done by one of the many coach builders/converters. It's a very weird change, and not really beneficial, but there are quite a few of them.

Benzilla
12-13-06, 04:25 PM
That's fugly, it throws off the whole car.

brougham
12-13-06, 05:42 PM
Those cars are ugly. Its not even really stretched. It looks like the only thing different is that the roof is all flat.

caddycruiser
12-13-06, 07:23 PM
Those cars are ugly. Its not even really stretched. It looks like the only thing different is that the roof is all flat.

Exactly. Just the back "wall" where the back window is is pushed out a bit...so strange of a change, I've never understood even the point of it. Some have curtains in there too.

JRau
12-13-06, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I doesn't make sense to do such a minor modification that doesn't gain anything for the car.

JRau in central Iowa

My_favorite_Brougham
12-13-06, 08:59 PM
Could it be for more head room? I know sometimes I feel a little cramped in mine (but that's in the driver seat raised up a bit). Nonetheless, I think the rear seats have more room than the front.

N0DIH
12-13-06, 09:50 PM
It is even crummy workmanship. I could probably do better myself! And I don't do bodywork....

brougham_geezer
12-13-06, 11:02 PM
I wondered about these cars as well. Many limos I've seen seem to have this roof treatment. Often reffered to as "presidential." The roof doesn't slope down at all, making the car kinda rembled the commercial glass, high-topish/bulletproof looking limo that the president rides in. I hate how it looks on these sedans, and, although it looks better on the limos, I'd still prefer one without it. My guess is that it is to make the car have that "presidential" style and to increase rear headroom, as that sort of thing would be a unique selling point when looking to buy a limo. Looks better on paper than in real-life though.

Cadillac_Fan
12-13-06, 11:02 PM
My bet is that it's been armored by one of the coachworks; however, the glass doesn't appear to be ballistic-grade, hard to say. Have to agree with the forum's consensus that it's not appealing to the Brougham's lines.

brougham
12-14-06, 05:56 PM
Exactly. Just the back "wall" where the back window is is pushed out a bit...so strange of a change, I've never understood even the point of it. Some have curtains in there too.

Its not even that. The back part of the roof where the window is looks the same as a normal one its only the top thats different.

SIPLOWGUY
12-14-06, 10:24 PM
Could it be for handicapped use?

sizanjdf
12-17-06, 04:43 PM
I think they call this a Presidential car. I cant remember what all was different about them, but I agree they are ugly

caddieboy
12-23-06, 12:07 PM
This is just a stab in the dark, but since someone mentioned Limos got this treatment, maybe it used to be a limo and someone for some strange reason decided to convert it to a sedan.

Just a thought. Considering it's black, I don't think it's that much of a stretch.

Edit: Oh man, I just punned.

Crzynickratkllr
01-15-07, 05:22 PM
I inquired about the same thing to a sales person on the East coast who was selling one. He said it was a Presidential option. Does that sound right? I think it makes the car look dorky. Look at the trim under the back quarter pannel also. Bad gap.

KaddyKat
01-15-07, 07:26 PM
If Herman Munster were a car it might look like that.