: New 1999 Owner

camaro0991
12-12-06, 10:27 AM
Hey guys i just joined the forum upon purchasing my 1999 escalade last month. Im tying to find out if its possible to install an aftermarket in dash navigation system in it im looking at he pioneer avic-z1. does anyone know if that unit will fit in a 1999, ive heard GM uses a smaller DIN size then everyone else. Thanks

XLR8R
12-12-06, 11:29 AM
Welcome! I am kind of a newbie myself. :) As I recall, the 99 is a din and a half, versus the later double din size. One of the things you may look at is putting in a fold out type din sized touchscreen nav unit. There is also a chance that companies like Metra have a mounting solution, I am not sure. Good luck! :)

caddycruiser
12-12-06, 01:21 PM
Your '99, as well as the first model year of the newer style, '02, have a 1.5 din stock unit--so a double din Pioneer Avic-Z1 won't fit, at least without modification.

Your best bet is something with a flip out screen, and mounted with a mounting kit proper for the whole.

Here's a good link (not nearly all the products on the market, but usually pretty accurate with what fits and will work with your vehicle):

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-FQcoxgnk3gC/app/car/mycar.aspx

camaro0991
12-12-06, 07:50 PM
well then my next question would be, has anyone done any custom work to make it fit. for example i have the usless cd player under the climate control, so if i move that....do some dremeling(properly though,) and relocate the climate control downward do it seem possible it would fit? or am i just insane:cookoo: lol. i just dont like the way the flip out units look, like im looking for something that looks like it came with it.