: Moisture in fog light

Viking88
12-12-06, 10:45 AM
When ever it rains, I notice some moisture inside my drivers side fog light. I looked at the seal where the bulb locks in and it seems OK. Anyone else had this issue and how did you resolve it? 04 EXT

jrs05caddyext
12-12-06, 10:47 AM
Got one replaced by dealership

EXTadic
12-12-06, 12:09 PM
When ever it rains, I notice some moisture inside my drivers side fog light. I looked at the seal where the bulb locks in and it seems OK. Anyone else had this issue and how did you resolve it? 04 EXT
Had that once, just got some anti-fog spray from a local Dive shop, problem solved

ewill3rd
12-12-06, 01:08 PM
Look carefully at the lens, sometimes the lens is separating from the housing.
Usually a gentle tug on one edge will make the whole thing come off so be careful.

dkozloski
12-12-06, 01:35 PM
There's a lengthy TSB on this subject.

Hotdawg
12-12-06, 07:59 PM
I had moisture in one as well and the dealer replaced it while under warranty.

ewill3rd
12-12-06, 09:35 PM
koz,

The TSB I think you are referring to basically says this.
If there are small droplets of water inside the housing that go away with the lights on for an hour or two, it's normal. The lamp housings are vented basically to keep them from exploding when they get hot. If they were sealed the temperature would cause them to expand and pop like balloons. The vents let pressure in and out along with moisture so on some days you'll see some condensate inside the housings.

If there is standing water inside the housings then there is likely a source of water intrusion. If there is actual water entering the housing we replace them. You didn't hear this from me, but I see a lot of Escalade fogs that are not sealed properly around the entire length of the lens and they can let water in. I usually run my nail around the edge and give it a tug to see if it's loose. If it is, you get a new lamp housing.
It comes with a bulb.
I like to collect any non-warranty housings, especially with an intact bulb because I use them for test lamps. I have one off of a '99 Silverado that I have used for years. It has helped me diagnose hundreds of cars, literally!

HTH