: Onstar Hands Free & Verizon

ejholt
12-11-06, 10:48 PM
Does anyone know how this works in relation to minutes? I've called both Verizon & Onstar and each has requested that I call the other. What I'm curious to know is whether or not you can utilize the benefits of your Verizon plan, i.e. free nights & weekends, unlimited calls to other Verizon customers, etc., without having to purchase Onstar Hands Free minutes. If this is the case, I don't see the benefit in usinf Version other then you can get the billing on 1 single invoice?

My understanding is that you add the car's hands free to your Verizon account as a 2nd number on the account, but do you get the benfits you would if you were adding another line with a handheld cell phone?

I currently have Cingular, mostly because I do a lot of International travel and Cingular runs on GSM and most of the world outside the States do as well and Verizon utilizes CDMA, which is limited at best outside of this country. Are their any 3rd part products that allows you to link your phone, i.e. bluetooth, etc. to utilize the handsfree in the car? I have an Infiniti as well and it gives me this ability.
Thanks!

Levand16
12-11-06, 10:54 PM
I don't have verizon but Onstar tols me that I would have to get the plan I want through Verizon and then call Onstar to set it up with the car! Onstar charges an extra 10 dollars (from what they told me), and the way I understand it is you can use any Verizon plan you want!

I haven't set it up cus I get a free nextel from work, but Onstar said other than buying pre-paid minutes from them Verizon is the only way!

LLT
12-11-06, 11:38 PM
I wish! gm_geek, I believe, is working on a bluetooth module that would allow you to use any bluetooth enabled phone. Maybe he can share more details.

claykehrer
12-12-06, 01:58 AM
I have the OnStar Verizon plan, and it works great. I just added the line to an existing account and share the minutes.

ewill3rd
12-12-06, 05:56 AM
Yep, if you have a verizon account for your regular cell phone you just "add a line" and use your OnStar system as that line. If you have a pool of minutes then personal calling uses that pool and you just pay the fee to verizon for the line. OnStar doesn't take any off the top because they already have a deal with Verizon.
It's my understanding that this is a verizon only deal.
Even I was thinking about it, I have Cingular too but I just upped for a new contract because I needed new phones so I might wait a while.
You have to pay your OnStar subscription fees, and then an extra 10 a month or whatever Verizon's current plan is for extra lines.

See this link: http://www.vzwshop.com/onstar/

Oh, problem number 2 is that you MUST have the digital hardware upgrade in your vehicle.
What year is your Escalade?

ejholt
12-28-06, 12:19 AM
I have an 07 EXT, so it is digital. I think I have found a bluetooth kit from GM Lockpicks that will allow me to use my phone and intergrate into my EXT, so you can use the phone via Onstar to make & receive phone calls. They are out on holiday, so I will need to wait till they return to get more info on their products.

I've also noticed that I get better reception with my Cingular mobile vs. the Onstar, even though they stated it puts out more watts. What has your experience been?

LLT
12-28-06, 01:58 AM
I have an 07 EXT, so it is digital. I think I have found a bluetooth kit from GM Lockpicks that will allow me to use my phone and intergrate into my EXT, so you can use the phone via Onstar to make & receive phone calls. They are out on holiday, so I will need to wait till they return to get more info on their products.

I've also noticed that I get better reception with my Cingular mobile vs. the Onstar, even though they stated it puts out more watts. What has your experience been?

That onstar lockpick thing allows you to integrate your bluetooth phone with a bluetooth handsfree device like the parrot and then integrate THAT into the EXT. You wouldn't be able to use your radio to control it or view incoming/outgoing calls... it merely takes over the speakers. I could be wrong and if so, I hope someone would correct me as true bluetooth integration would be fantastic... I'd pay good money for such a module!

TMW597
12-30-06, 06:28 PM
LLT,

You are correct. The Onstar LockPick does not allow you to use your radio head-unit to see the incoming or outgoing calls.

RANGER 66
12-30-06, 07:30 PM
I have the verizon onstar combo and it uses the minutes from your cell phone plan as well as the free mobile to mobile and free nights and weekends. I am anxious about the bluetooth kit myself.

RLTW

TMW597
12-30-06, 07:39 PM
Yeah, it'd be great if OnStar wasn't in bed with Verizon. It may be their Achilles’ heel, as it may make it difficult for them to start partnerships with other wireless carriers. I'll tell you right now, if they had a partnership with Nextel/Sprint it would be a no brainier for me.

But since that's not the case (ha, ha) I have a few posts on the forum trying to get more information for us all on this hopefully OEM bluetooth solution.

Tdar
12-31-06, 04:17 PM
I have the OnStar Verizon combo and it's great....the only thing I wish was different is that they do not support Caller ID, so in the Car you do not know who is calling you.

benamaster
12-31-06, 04:53 PM
I have the OnStar Verizon combo and it's great....the only thing I wish was different is that they do not support Caller ID, so in the Car you do not know who is calling you.

I wonder if any GM vehicles show the Caller ID info? That would be an excellent idea.

flyboy767
01-01-07, 09:38 AM
Yes--the 2005 and newer STS's with bluetooth show caller id on the nav screen.

benamaster
01-01-07, 04:02 PM
Yes--the 2005 and newer STS's with bluetooth show caller id on the nav screen.

I wonder if the 2007 Escalade's show the OnStar caller id on either the Nav or the Driver Information Center?

RANGER 66
01-01-07, 04:23 PM
No caller ID on the nav screen or the DIC. The only thing you see is the incoming call message and it asks you if you want to accept. I wish there was a caller ID.

RLTW

benamaster
01-01-07, 05:20 PM
No caller ID on the nav screen or the DIC. The only thing you see is the incoming call message and it asks you if you want to accept. I wish there was a caller ID.

RLTW

Sounds like they really missed the boat with that one.

ejholt
01-03-07, 10:48 PM
I don't get a lot of calls to my EXT number, but I would think if you had the number in your address book, that it would display that on an incoming call. I know when I call my house from the EXT my name comes up on my home caller id to identify the truck.

Jackalope Eye
01-04-07, 07:58 PM
I hate not having Caller ID but it also sucks that there is no voicemail or missed call notification. If you're not actually in your truck driving around, you're SOL.