: Test drove the 07, differences????

wcs1993
12-11-06, 10:59 PM
I will be buying a CTS-V in the near future. I test drove an 07 a few hours ago and I would have to say I am hooked. I was debating between a few cars, not anymore. I have been watching this sight for several months, and now have questions. What are the major differences between the LS6 and the LS2? Is it worth waiting for a used LS2 or just go for the LS6? I was very impressed by the power and just want to make sure that the money I spend is spent the best way possible. Thanks for the help.

heavymetals
12-11-06, 11:01 PM
You have it backwards.

You can only get an LS6 in an 05 or 04.

verbs
12-11-06, 11:05 PM
2007 CTS-V suspension is revised, and has provisions for VVT (although not an option on 2007s). All the BMR stuff doesn't work on the 07s so I'm told.

wcs1993
12-11-06, 11:39 PM
Looking at my post, it does seem that I had it backwards. I was asking in general not in any order. Thanks for the reply. Is it worth the extra money for an 06-07 verses an 05? Is it better to wait for the 08? After the test drive, I don't think I could wait.

kueh
12-12-06, 01:43 AM
If it was me, I would buy a used 05 V for around 32-35K, since 2 years of the depreciation will be paid already. Then I would see the 08 model when it comes out. Seeing all the buzz around the 08 model, you probably will want to get that one. Which then you're car will still be worth about 28K, which then you can trade in for the 08.

As for the LS2 and the LS6, personally all I see it's both 400HP. Not much difference.

If you DO decide to get a 05 V, try to get one after Feb 05 production year. Then you'll at least get the option of subscribing XM's NAVTraffic, but if you don't care about it or live in a place where there's no NavTraffic available, then don't worry about it.

NEW77GUY
12-12-06, 02:11 AM
If you DO decide to get a 05 V, try to get one after Feb 05 production year. Then you'll at least get the option of subscribing XM's NAVTraffic, but if you don't care about it or live in a place where there's no NavTraffic available, then don't worry about it.

Wish i had known that little bit of info when i pulled the trigger on my '05.

japx
12-12-06, 07:11 AM
In the debate over the LS6 vs the LS2. Both are excellent power plants, but the LS2 has more potential in that it already has a larger induction intake, slightly larger displaement, and has been the Corvette's standard power plant since 05. On the down side the sftermarket folks have been slow to develop aftermarket mods for the LS2which is a bit strange since its been on the market since 05 and can be aquired on everything from a Corvette to Cadilac to SSR to Trailblazer....

On the 08 it appears to be a nice package, but the data on the V Model is strange and mostly guess work. everything from no V in 08 to LS7 or unfortunetaly the 4.4 superchagred Northstar which will be an automatic only.

trukk
12-12-06, 12:40 PM
If you can I'd wait untill after the NAIAS in January. They are going to release info about the next CTS (and I assume about the CTS-V, also). If the next CTS-V turns out to be something really special, then it may make you want to wait. Also, if it is something cool, it may significanty affect the resale value of the current gen, and you might get a real 'deal'. I don't really see a scenario, where the current gen spikes in value, based on the next gen specs (but you never know. I'll be pissed if the next version has an SC N*, and auto only :vomit: )

If you want to do any mods, I'd go with an '06. You get the nav/traffic, and the LS2, which will eventually be more mod friendly, than the LS6.

If you want a sunday driver that your going to hang onto forever, and/or keep mostly stock, I'd grab an '04.

-Chris

Late BrakeU2
12-12-06, 05:09 PM
If the next CTS-V turns out to be something really special, then it may make you want to wait. Also, if it is something cool, it may significanty affect the resale value of the current gen, and you might get a real 'deal'. I don't really see a scenario, where the current gen spikes in value, based on the next gen specs (but you never know. I'll be pissed if the next version has an SC N*, and auto only :vomit: )

-Chris

Have you seen the 08? looks like every other soft import.Quite possibly the reverse might happen and the first gens become en vouge from an aesthetic viewpoint..I bought my 05 because it's edgy lines are like no other car made.On the whole LS6/LS2 debate yes, the 2 has a tad more grunt,but this car was designed to carry momentum through corners and the LS6's power band is perfectly suited for that.Like stated the LS2 is the generals new utility smallblock that comes in many platforms,where as the 05 V had the last of the LS6's exclusively.I think every one who owns one now might just be happy when the new one's powerteam and styling are revealed-remember this was a bad year for gas prices..jmo

wcs1993
12-12-06, 08:52 PM
I appreciate all the advise. It is tough due to the fact that the car was a blast to test drive. My wife drove it harder than I did. I have owned Mustangs forever, and currently drive the 2000 Contour SVT (fun car!). I miss the V8 power! I have a 93 ex-CHP Coupe in the garage, that is being modded. Back to the topic. Everyone makes a lot of sense. I agree that it would be good to buy an 05 or 06 at the right price, and wait for the 08. I haven't seen much on the 08 so I don't know what to expect, however it sounds like not much is out on it anyway. I will probably wait about six month and try to find an 06 in Silver (not sure of proper name). Are there different option packages or are they pretty standard (loaded!). Reading a lot of posts the V's have their problems, but what car doesn't. I can't wait to post that the V has arrived! Thanks