: Have questions think about buying a used V

Nitro-C5
12-11-06, 09:28 PM
I've actually been a member of this forum for quite awhile, but never post as I have never actually owned a Caddie (although considered it many times) I think it is time to add one to the stable as I'm making longer and longer trips and would really like that comfortable yet sporty ride. I currently own a new Trailblazer SS, a custom supercharged '04 GTO and a very highly modified FR1 Supercharged Corvette that I use for road racing...so I'm very familiar with the LSx family of engines and modifications.

Questions as I'm really looking at either an '05 or an '06...

Am I correct that the '04 and '05 are identical just like the '06 and '07?

What are the major differences (besides the LS6 vrs. LS2 motor)?

What upgrades interior/exterior bettween these years?

What major issues to look out for?

Any factory recalls?

What are the most popular mods that are done?

Thanks for the help,

heavymetals
12-11-06, 09:52 PM
Am I correct that the '04 and '05 are identical (different antennas) just like the '06 and '07? No, the motor and diff are different

What are the major differences (besides the LS6 vrs. LS2 motor)?

What upgrades interior/exterior bettween these years?
Changed colors

What major issues to look out for? Idiot drivers :histeric: , cops, the mod bug...

Any factory recalls? TSB's but no recalls

What are the most popular mods that are done? exhaust, air intake.

Nitro-C5
12-11-06, 10:10 PM
[quote=heavymetals;898302]Am I correct that the '04 and '05 are identical (different antennas) just like the '06 and '07? No, the motor and diff are different

So the motor and the rear differential are different from the '06 to the '07? I thought they both used the LS2?? What is the rear diff in these cars from year to year....also is there a fix for the wheel hop?

dannystang
12-11-06, 10:21 PM
04 / 05 = ls6
06 /07 ls2

Mine doesnt hop :) and for sale

heavymetals
12-11-06, 10:40 PM
Motor is different from 05 to 06.

Diff was "updated" in 06.

keeksv
12-11-06, 10:45 PM
Wasn't the diff different for a lot of '05s versus the '04s? still a piece of crap, but different part number etc...and THEN the '06 diff came out...

heavymetals
12-11-06, 10:58 PM
Wasn't the diff different for a lot of '05s versus the '04s? still a piece of crap, but different part number etc...and THEN the '06 diff came out...

No. The diff was updated as a replacement part in 05 and standard issue in the 06 models.

Might have been used in late model 05's.

"An 05 is an 05 when we decide so." GM

keeksv
12-11-06, 11:03 PM
I had two different part number diffs in my car, and neither was the '06.

NEW77GUY
12-12-06, 02:25 AM
:welcome: Nitro...i recognize your name from the Vette forum, since i've been a member there since '01. I bought my used '05 V about 2 months ago. I'm lovin every mile so far. Everything's been pretty much mentioned as far as i can see as far as differences. 04-'05's both are LS-6's with the '04 having an extra little antenna-wire thingy on the back window. That's about the only way you can tell them apart...and there's a mod here i believe that teaches you how to do away with that now to make it look like an '05. :cool:

'05 was the first year for the "Redline" and "Stealth Grey" colors, i believe. Try to find one that already has the certified 100k waranty, or get one as cheaply as you can. Also, if you want to subsrcibe to XM Nav traffic (and you live in an area for it) get an '05 made after 2/05 i believe. I ended up with mine because i got a HELL of a deal on it, and there were already tastey mods that i wanted installed beforehand. Actually bought mine from a member here.

First mod you should do is either a UUC or B&M shifter. These are fun cars, and hopefully you'll have a mod-friendly dealer near you.

BTW...everyone be nice to this guy...he's a world-class strongman and is able to snap your neck through the keyboard even....or so i'm told. :duck: Just kiddin'....- get the V soon!

rand49er
12-12-06, 06:59 AM
:welcome:

The only thing I might add to the above comments is that depending upon how much modifying you intend to do, there may be more mods available for the LS6 compared to the LS2. The guys here pretty much summed things up, however.

Plus, there are many excellent Vs out there to be had for very good prices. There're members here with great cars (e.g. dannystang), and there's an '04 on ebay right now advertised as "mint" with 2,800 miles! Happy shopping!

trukk
12-12-06, 12:29 PM
The only additional thing I would add is that any mods that require V specific packaging (i.e. exhasut/headers, intakes, etc.) you should expect to pay a premium for, and have significantly less choice than in the Vette, and even GTO world. I think up through the expected '07 production run, we are looking at approximately 10K total cars, so the aftermarket is fairly small.

On a positive note, if you want to get a Magnuson supercharger, you don't need to swap out a hood, like you do with a Vette, so that significantly lowers the cost of this mod, and explains it's popularity.

Have fun,

Chris

Nitro-C5
12-12-06, 01:41 PM
:welcome: Nitro...i recognize your name from the Vette forum, since i've been a member there since '01. I bought my used '05 V about 2 months ago. I'm lovin every mile so far. Everything's been pretty much mentioned as far as i can see as far as differences. 04-'05's both are LS-6's with the '04 having an extra little antenna-wire thingy on the back window. That's about the only way you can tell them apart...and there's a mod here i believe that teaches you how to do away with that now to make it look like an '05. :cool:

First mod you should do is either a UUC or B&M shifter. These are fun cars, and hopefully you'll have a mod-friendly dealer near you.

BTW...everyone be nice to this guy...he's a world-class strongman and is able to snap your neck through the keyboard even....or so i'm told. :duck: Just kiddin'....- get the V soon!

Its funny it seems like every time I buy another car I keep running into my fellow Corvette Forum friends....GTO, TB SS and now the caddie...I guess the similar power plants make these desirable vehicles for like minded folks.

What is a UCC...type of shifter? I have the B&M Short Throw Ripper in the Vette and love the way it feels.

How does the clutch hold up in these cars?

Also how big wheel tire package can you put on without tubbing?

:thepan: No more neck snapping for me...I'm retired!:shhh: :cool2:

Nitro-C5
12-12-06, 01:42 PM
The only additional thing I would add is that any mods that require V specific packaging (i.e. exhasut/headers, intakes, etc.) you should expect to pay a premium for, and have significantly less choice than in the Vette, and even GTO world. I think up through the expected '07 production run, we are looking at approximately 10K total cars, so the aftermarket is fairly small.

On a positive note, if you want to get a Magnuson supercharger, you don't need to swap out a hood, like you do with a Vette, so that significantly lowers the cost of this mod, and explains it's popularity.

Have fun,

Chris

I like the instant TQ on the Maggie (this is what I did on the GTO), but the whine is way too much for me on a daily driver. Anyone make a Twin Turbo set-up for these yet? What about STS rear mount, available?

trukk
12-12-06, 03:11 PM
Anyone make a Twin Turbo set-up for these yet? What about STS rear mount, available?

Not to my knowledge. I seem to recall that LAPD was working on something, but that was about 9 months to a year ago, and haven't seen/heard anything since.

I think a lot of vendors take a look, and see that no one's done a kit yet, and think they can make a killing. They play around a while, and the very tight packaging in the CTS engine bay, ends up biting them in the @ss. They end up realizing that the cost & development time vs. miniscule market = no ROI, thus an abandoned project. I could be wrong though, WTF do I know :D

What about STS rear mount, available?

Nope.

As far as FI goes, the maggie has basically cornered the market due to ease of install & cost (approx 5-6k). There have been a handful of prochargers installed, but that's fairly involved due to the intercooler routing. I think those have been running approx 9k ish (give or take). EPP has a nice set of pictures that they did on Marc Bincs (?sp?) car (no owned by rad69). I'm sure he could anser some questions if that was your interest.

To my knowledge no one has tried a Kenne Bell yet. That might be worth taking a look at if you want something different. I'm not sure if it would fit under the hood or not. Composite works has a pretty nice looking aftermarket glass hood, that is modeled off of the STS-V hood, that I would assume would be spacious enough for a Kenne Bell. I'm not sure what a twin screw sounds like though.

My $0.02,

Chris

OldRoadDawg
12-12-06, 03:48 PM
Anyone make a Twin Turbo set-up for these yet?

Something like this? Predator (http://icpusa.icpusa.net:227/2005cadillac.htm) Performance

Nitro-C5
12-12-06, 07:44 PM
To my knowledge no one has tried a Kenne Bell yet. That might be worth taking a look at if you want something different. I'm not sure if it would fit under the hood or not. Composite works has a pretty nice looking aftermarket glass hood, that is modeled off of the STS-V hood, that I would assume would be spacious enough for a Kenne Bell. I'm not sure what a twin screw sounds like though.

My $0.02,

Chris

Does anyone on hear have a mild H/C package that they have a sound and video clip of? My main goal is that I want a daily driver ~500hp....BUT not change the stock sound that much...I absoulutely love my VETTE, but going anything farther than 50 miles is pretty much deafining:thepan:

Nitro-C5
12-12-06, 07:49 PM
Something like this? Predator (http://icpusa.icpusa.net:227/2005cadillac.htm) Performance

That set-up makes absoulutely NO SENSE whatsoever. Cool... but purely built for bragging rights I'm sure. I made over 750rwhp (once I got the car tied down) with only 10lbs of boost on my 383 F1R blower motor. Here is the clip:

http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r70/RickBelden/Corvette/?action=view&current=BlownVetteDynomed.flv

You could make over 1000hp on a 427 blower motor with only one SC easily....if you could keep the heads on the car that is...:bomb:

Nitro-C5
12-12-06, 07:52 PM
whoops repost...

NEW77GUY
12-12-06, 08:44 PM
That set-up makes absoulutely NO SENSE whatsoever. Cool... but purely built for bragging rights I'm sure. I made over 750rwhp (once I got the car tied down) with only 10lbs of boost on my 383 F1R blower motor. Here is the clip:

http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r70/RickBelden/Corvette/?action=view&current=BlownVetteDynomed.flv

:eek: :jawdrop: :worship:

atdeneve
12-13-06, 08:58 AM
I seem to recall that LAPD was working on something, but that was about 9 months to a year ago, and haven't seen/heard anything since.

I think a lot of vendors take a look, and see that no one's done a kit yet, and think they can make a killing. They play around a while, and the very tight packaging in the CTS engine bay, ends up biting them in the @ss. :D

Chris

In comparison to some other engine bays, there actually seems to be a whole lot of room to work with, that is, if you put some time and thought into it.

If anyone is familiar with the 32ZX TT (Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo), that engine bay was crammed to the brim with not much room left (low hood line made cooling a challenge). Even regular maintenance could get a bit involved.

Working under the hood on our car would be relatively easy. Don't know why someone has not yet released an appealling twin turbo kit.

That's a twin supercharger setup. If they were gonna really go all out like that, they should have gone with a turbo/supercharger combo setup. That would have at least had a functional purpose - on-tap, low-down, bottom end torque and crazy pull up top at higher rpms. That would have been sick.

trukk
12-13-06, 10:52 AM
In comparison to some other engine bays, there actually seems to be a whole lot of room to work with, that is, if you put some time and thought into it.

If anyone is familiar with the 32ZX TT (Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo), that engine bay was crammed to the brim with not much room left (low hood line made cooling a challenge). Even regular maintenance could get a bit involved.

Working under the hood on our car would be relatively easy. Don't know why someone has not yet released an appealling twin turbo kit.

I think we are good on the sides, it's up front that's cramped, which is why we have such a 'narrow' accessorie drive area.

Anyway, I think the main reason no ones come up with a kit yet is the ROI. Not enough V's out there to make some coin on a reasonably priced kit.

-Chris