: who has installed their own REMOTE START?

Nasty Black Lac
12-11-06, 08:53 PM
I want to buy a remote start and install it myself. Who here has done this? I am very handy and have done many vehical mods, but not a remote start. Do I have to buy an aftermarket alarm to get the starter, or does someone make just a remote start (without the alarm)? Thanks.

Synergetic
12-11-06, 09:16 PM
who has installed their own REMOTE START?

Not me.

yourgmsolutions
12-11-06, 09:25 PM
I have.
1. you can buy a complete remote start/alarm system
2 or just remote start system, no alarm
3. add on remote start module and reprogramm it to Your factory remote control (this one I haven't done it, but I know it's available )

tc3
12-12-06, 12:56 PM
I've done it too.
Pick up a pass lock moduale too. That'll take are of your alarm bypass, locks, factory security. The advanced one will even do heated seats, rear defrost etc...
There are alot of starter only systems out there too!! Autostart/ polarstart is a cheap BUT very reliable one. They never break down. But they might only be avail in Canada?

Nasty Black Lac
12-12-06, 02:34 PM
GM Geek - I think I would like to go with the module. Where can I find more info? Is it easy to do? Expensive? What would the dealer have to do for me?

Nasty Black Lac
12-12-06, 02:35 PM
tc3 - do you recommend the module or going with the autostart/polarstart? Give me an idea how much work is involved - an hour or 5 hours? Thanks.

tc3
12-13-06, 02:26 AM
An autostart, or combo, with the passlock moduale would give u alot more features. I can't remember all the features, but for example, if the temp drops below a certain degree, itll automaticlt turn on the seat heaters. I can't remember if it give u window control too? I had it on my 02 grand cherokee.
Believe it or not, the mod is only 1 wire!!! Plus power ground. It hooks up to the data wire on the obc. And talks to it in data. Depending on who u go to is what theyll charge. If u already know the facts on the install, they can't bullshit u on how long it would take to add the moduale. Also, driving a cadi doesn't help with getting a fair rice on an install!?!

Nasty Black Lac
12-13-06, 01:25 PM
still confused...

would I have to buy an aftermarket alarm (viper for instance) and the pass lock module (I have seen them for ~$30 - $35) for this to work? What is an approximate cost to add remote start without calling my dealer?

tc3
12-13-06, 03:38 PM
It would have to be an after market starter or combo. Either one. And then add the advanced pass lock moduale.
2-3 hours for labour for install of the starter and moduale. I'm not sure of the cost as it is cheaper nowadays to install it. Some places up here include instal when u purchase the starter, u would have to just pay extra for the mod add on.