: Rear Distortion Revisited

stevebuick23
12-11-06, 04:33 PM
To recap my other thread, I get massive distortion from my rear speaks when even the slightest bass hits. I had boughten a set of amps from CadillacETC1997, and I tried them today. No dice. If anything it sounds worse. :banghead: So, no hard feelings, aside from the unexpected shipping on top of shipping included charges, but I still want to get down to what the heck my problem is.

I had tried a brand new set of speakers, and they distort just as much as my old ones. So, what is left? I've tried everything there is to try other than a new headunit. Could there be a ground somewhere that is shorting out? I have no idea.

Please someone help me. (CadillacETC1997, no hard feelings, even if I did sound like a prick in my PM's).

CadillacSTS42005
12-11-06, 04:57 PM
its kewl
well there are 4 parts of the bose system
the hu the amps the speaks and then the cdx transponder box...
i highly doubt its the hu
we know now its not the speaks or amps
so that leaves the transponder box
the unusual thing is usually if that goes, all speaks sound like shyt....
you could try two things
one replace the speaks with a set of higher independence speaks like 2 ohm kappas the added resistance will cut the power sent to them down and thereby lower distortion...
or continue to throw money and try the transponder box in which case a vette or lac are the only ones that use it....

stevebuick23
12-11-06, 06:37 PM
its kewl
you could try two things
one replace the speaks with a set of higher independence speaks like 2 ohm kappas the added resistance will cut the power sent to them down and thereby lower distortion...
or continue to throw money and try the transponder box in which case a vette or lac are the only ones that use it....
Do you have any idea where and what the transponder box looks like? I can go search some junk yards and see what I can find. Appreciate it. Thanks

stevebuick23
12-11-06, 06:45 PM
its kewl
you could try two things

Also, I hooked up the speakers from my buick (2 ohm monsoon speakers, which btw, pound the **** out of these caddy speakers), and they distort just the same, but a little less because the speaker is obviously designed a lot better.

CadillacSTS42005
12-11-06, 06:56 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-Cadillac-Eldorado-Bose-stero-system_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33649QQihZ017QQi temZ270052421259QQrdZ1
its that massive black box in the center
yours will be located behind the upper part of the rear seat
for the 92-95 bose system they are quite common and could be had in vettes and any lac but for the 96+ they are only in the 96+ Eldorado and only the 96-97 Seville...
you have to remove the seat to get to it...
you can try unplugging and replugging the connection but i doubt that the fix is that simple...

stevebuick23
12-11-06, 07:20 PM
What exactly does this thing do?

CadillacSTS42005
12-11-06, 07:26 PM
heres a more recent thing about the CDM box
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-audio-video-security-systems/83917-bose-head-unit-cdm-connections.html?highlight=bose+cdx
to be honest im not 100% on its use
i think its the interface where all the sound signals come together and then are sent to the mini amps, it works as the remote adjustment for the sound signal kinda like a brain for the actual system
with the addition of the DSPs in 96 the box got bigger so this is why i believe this...

dp102288
12-11-06, 08:13 PM
^^ Damn I was going to say crappy wires! :p