: New suspension on the '91

Destroyer
12-11-06, 05:08 PM
Finally put on new springs/shocks and had the front end rebuilt on the '91. I used Intrax lowering springs designed for a 94-96 Impala SS and KYB shocks. With the exception of a few, you guys have no idea how this thing takes turns and handles now!. When the mechanic called to tell me it was ready he said "dude I'm floored at how this thing handles/rides and goes". When I went there he kept on ranting about how it drove (guess he got a little comfortable with me) and then he says he "took pretty much a hair pin turn at 60 and not a squeal from the tires", I must have had a weird look on my face cause I was thinking WTF 60!!!!!!. Anyway he said he just wanted to make sure all was ok before I picked it up. For the most part it handles much like 3rd or 4rth gen fbody cars I had in the past except it still rides nice but a bit bumpier and lot more firm and controlled (nice!). Cant wait to put some meatier sway bars in there. Here is the major problem though: it looks ridiculous IMO. The rear end went down like 5 inches!!! Bumper is almost scraping the ground! It was only supposed to be a 1.8" drop out back, guess I'll put some spacers to raise it a bit; hopefully at least an inch and a half. Kinda looks like its accelerating hard when its parked. Front looks great as it really needed to sit a bit lower, I'd say it dropped 2" in the front. Once I raise the back a little it'll have a great stance. I knew it would handle better but I was not expecting sports car handling. I'll post some pics when I take them (ahem; after I raise the back a bit).

caddycruiser
12-11-06, 05:53 PM
Sounds great, and if I remember right, lowering springs for an Impala sometimes do cause issues on other B/D bodies of normal height.

I really want to get a similar feel from mine, cutting out the float and slosh, but I still want to keep the stock height it has now--doesn't look lifted, fits with my large wheels & tires perfectly, and I don't have bottom out issues. That's why I've been thinking of using Tow Package/Sport springs, either Caddy FE2 or the Sport/Tow that was used on a Caprice. Problem is, I know either would likely give me the right height, but I have no idea what they would do as far as the performance I'm looking for.

Destroyer
12-11-06, 08:30 PM
Got some pics (bad ones). I definately am not liking this look and I found out the hard way that Impala rear springs do not fit an older Fleetwood properly. The Impalas must have longer trailing arms. I'll decide what to make of this mess tomorrow. Crazy thing as previously stated is that it rides and handles so damn good. I'll figure out what to do with the back. Car used to be as high as my Mercedes in the backround, not anymore. You gotta see it person to understand how low the back of it is. Any suggestions? I'm thinking maybe I'll put the stock springs back on the rear but have them slightly shortened, the front is perfect.

Destroyer
12-11-06, 08:41 PM
Here is a before shot

caddycruiser
12-11-06, 08:42 PM
Yep, definately low. Looks good in the front, but the back does look saggish rather than nicely lowered. All depends on how it drives, though, and that it seems to do very well now. Is the height a bother for you still?

I still prefer stock height--just wish I knew what pieces could give me that level with tight ride & handling.

90Brougham350
12-11-06, 09:01 PM
Wow! That really is low, I can only imagine how many times you've dragged the tail already.

Destroyer
12-11-06, 09:02 PM
Is the height a bother for you still?
Not yet but I'm sure it will be if I ever try backing out of a semi-steep driveway.

I still prefer stock height--just wish I knew what pieces could give me that level with tight ride & handling.In the daylight the front end IS the look I wanted but the stock ride height would be nice in the back. I just dont think it could possibly handle this good with the stock height. I'll put the stock springs back in the rear and see what difference it makes.

Destroyer
12-11-06, 09:11 PM
Wow! That really is low, I can only imagine how many times you've dragged the tail already.
Not yet but I only put 10 miles on it thus far:rolleyes:

Benzilla
12-11-06, 09:41 PM
Good to hear it rides nice and still handles good. About the ride height, yes it looks bad now, but Don't put the rear back up to stock unless you do the same to the front. I hate hate hate it when the front of a Brougham is lower than the back. To me caddys just look bad with a rake, their too long or something, I don't know. It would look awesome if it was low and level all the way around, maybe even the rear about a half inch lowerthan the front, just to give it a nice cruising stance without looking saggy, hmm?

brougham
12-11-06, 09:52 PM
Good to hear it rides nice and still handles good. About the ride height, yes it looks bad now, but Don't put the rear back up to stock unless you do the same to the front. I hate hate hate it when the front of a Brougham is lower than the back. To me caddys just look bad with a rake, their too long or something, I don't know. It would look awesome if it was low and level all the way around, maybe even the rear about a half inch lowerthan the front, just to give it a nice cruising stance without looking saggy, hmm?

I guess you missed this part:
I'll put the stock springs back on the rear but have them slightly shortened, the front is perfect.

Destroyer
12-11-06, 09:55 PM
I was thinking about getting stock springs but having them shortened to match the height of the front. I agree about a rake and about it being level all the way around. I dont like feeling like I'm pulling a damn wheelie when I'm driving it around now though. Right now it looks like the air suspension out back took a dump........you know, like all the Lincolns do.

Benzilla
12-11-06, 10:04 PM
I'm glad we're on the same page, as I was reading your post I was thinking "just like a towncar" then you said it haha. The wheels really are growing on me though.

BCs71
12-12-06, 04:54 PM
I'm not 100%, but I think the Intrax springs are lower than stock height Impala SS springs, which are already an 1.25 - 1.5" lower than stock height.

In your shoes I would try the stock Impala SS springs in the rear and then the Intrax up front. Good news is that the rear springs are easy to swap.

caddycruiser
12-12-06, 05:04 PM
I'm not 100%, but I think the Intrax springs are lower than stock height Impala SS springs, which are already an 1.25 - 1.5" lower than stock height.

In your shoes I would try the stock Impala SS springs in the rear and then the Intrax up front. Good news is that the rear springs are easy to swap.

Yep, which is why you have to be careful putting lowering springs for an already lower Impala SS on any other B/D car--the drop is going to be a lot more than expected, like this.

Impala SS springs seem like a good idea, or at least the popular one. Elias (96Fleetwood) has SS's all around his '96, and it looks great, but I think he was just discussing a bit ago that they might not be too well suited for the rear of a heavier Fleetwood, as he thought it was starting to droop a bit more, but I can't be sure. Everyone else who has them on a Fleetwood loves the setup, so it might just be a one car oddity.

Either way, they'd probably be great for this '91--stiffer, like the Intraxes, and shorter, but also just enough height to get rid of the blown airbags Lincoln look.

Destroyer
12-12-06, 07:01 PM
Yep, which is why you have to be careful putting lowering springs for an already lower Impala SS on any other B/D car--the drop is going to be a lot more than expected, like this.

Impala SS springs seem like a good idea, or at least the popular one. Elias (96Fleetwood) has SS's all around his '96, and it looks great, but I think he was just discussing a bit ago that they might not be too well suited for the rear of a heavier Fleetwood, as he thought it was starting to droop a bit more, but I can't be sure. Everyone else who has them on a Fleetwood loves the setup, so it might just be a one car oddity.

Either way, they'd probably be great for this '91--stiffer, like the Intraxes, and shorter, but also just enough height to get rid of the blown airbags Lincoln look.The Intrax are a 1.8" drop out back for an Impala SS. Thing is I didn't know the Impala was already lower. Havent looked it up but I'm betting the older Fleetwoods are lighter than the '96 models. I think I will go ahead and get the Impala SS rear springs, should bring it level with the front.

Destroyer
12-12-06, 07:02 PM
Good news is that the rear springs are easy to swap.You have no idea how easy. If I jack the car up they will just fall out.:histeric:

caddycruiser
12-12-06, 07:07 PM
You have no idea how easy. If I jack the car up they will just fall out.:histeric:

Well then it won't be too hard. I think the SS rear springs on a Fleetwood was just a one-time odd issue (no one else has had anything but good comments), so they should definately help you out with your too low situation, and not give much of a different feel.

Benzilla
12-12-06, 07:22 PM
So, if I put stock SS springs on the back of my '79 CDV it will lower it about 1.5"?

Rick186
12-12-06, 08:58 PM
That's a damn fine looking vehicle!
Can hardly wait to see your "after" pix when you level off the rear.

Destroyer
12-12-06, 10:01 PM
Just bought a pair of used but "excellent condition" Impala SS rear springs from ebay. Lets see how it works out. Only cost me $8.00 for the springs and $20 for the shipping. :bouncy:

Destroyer
12-14-06, 12:33 AM
That's a damn fine looking vehicle!
Can hardly wait to see your "after" pix when you level off the rear.Thanks man. I'll put up the "after" pix when its done. :cool:

BCs71
12-14-06, 01:56 PM
You have no idea how easy. If I jack the car up they will just fall out.:histeric:

Actually, I do know how easy! I put em' in my FW myself! :thumbsup:
I actually barely have to get the jack under it and pump a few times before the spring is all loosey-goosey.

davesdeville
12-15-06, 09:40 PM
I don't think I've ever seen your car before destroyer.. I love the color.

Destroyer
12-17-06, 11:29 AM
I don't think I've ever seen your car before destroyer.. I love the color.The color is what drew me to the car. I had a tenant that had one just like it in this color and I loved it. When I saw this one parked by a corner close to my old house with a for sale sign I had to have it. Real easy to keep clean too.

96Fleetwood
12-17-06, 06:16 PM
I bet it handles great :cool2:

I had a similar experience with my car. The Impala SS rear springs make the car too low. I have a set of brand new 9C1 springs I *might* throw in to see if it makes a difference.

Destroyer
12-20-06, 02:24 PM
Just put in stock Impala SS rear springs and it leveled the car right out.:cool2: Looks just like I originally planned.

Benzilla
12-20-06, 08:13 PM
96Fleetwood, I LOVE how your car sits in your sig, whatever setup that is, keep it. It's badass, the first pics of it with the new wheels looked like it had a rake (hate it) did anything change or is it the pic?

96Fleetwood
12-20-06, 08:23 PM
96Fleetwood, I LOVE how your car sits in your sig, whatever setup that is, keep it. It's badass, the first pics of it with the new wheels looked like it had a rake (hate it) did anything change or is it the pic?

Yep, I put the Impala SS rear springs after that picture. I might keep them, but I just have to be extra careful lately. I found myself scraping the Borla exhaust on certain speed bumps :(

Benzilla
12-21-06, 09:32 PM
You mean the back is even lower now? woah, do you have pics? What setup are you running in the sig pic?

caddycruiser
12-22-06, 04:39 PM
Yeah--or I thought you just got new 9C1 springs to raise the rear a bit?

96Fleetwood
12-22-06, 06:33 PM
Sorry for the confusion. In the sig picture, I have the Impala SS springs, but now it has settled even more. I have a reverse rake now :annoyed:

caddycruiser
12-22-06, 11:42 PM
Sorry for the confusion. In the sig picture, I have the Impala SS springs, but now it has settled even more. I have a reverse rake now :annoyed:

Ah, okay. So with the 9C1 springs, should it again rake to the front or be "level" with the front SS's? I can't recall what the natural 9C1 spring height is like.

96Fleetwood
12-23-06, 06:50 AM
I am hoping it will even out with the 9C1 rear springs. I have a full size 18 inch spare with tire and a toolbox in my trunk. That does not help with the weight issue and is probably what is causing the Impala SS springs to sink so low. Don't get me wrong, the car looks great with the rear SS springs.. however if I get any rear seat passengers, I am afraid it will destroy the Borla :eek:

N0DIH
12-23-06, 12:40 PM
Can you tweak the level ride to bring up some of the height in back? It is not hard to adjust. I did that on my 91 Deville and it did fine, ride was not affected.

You can also get the coil spring spacers, the one that is a 2in thick chunk of rubber with a spring groove in it that you wind up into the spring. This will make it a little stiffer but won't let it compress when it is settled. I have run them with good results in the past. It won't come up a major amount, but might be just enough to fix it without pulling the springs again.

caddycruiser
12-23-06, 01:26 PM
Can you tweak the level ride to bring up some of the height in back? It is not hard to adjust. I did that on my 91 Deville and it did fine, ride was not affected.

You can also get the coil spring spacers, the one that is a 2in thick chunk of rubber with a spring groove in it that you wind up into the spring. This will make it a little stiffer but won't let it compress when it is settled. I have run them with good results in the past. It won't come up a major amount, but might be just enough to fix it without pulling the springs again.

His level ride went bye-bye when he made the rest of his suspension mods. Now it's partially worn (well, at least mileage wise) SS springs, coupled with Bilsteins and Hotchkis bars all around along with UMI arms.

Others seem to have done SS's & Bilsteins all around on a Fleetwood with no issue, so it's an interesting issue nonetheless.