: '82 Diesel Fleetwood Starting Question...

tedasaurus
12-10-06, 10:12 PM
Well I got a '82 Diesel Fleewood DeElegance with 22k orig miles, astroroof, and in mint condition. The only problem mechanically is that it is hard to start. Takes alot of engine turning to get it going, but then it runs perfectly and idles great. But sometimes it takes up to eight tries to get her going. Whether it has been sitting for months, or just for a few hours, it is hard to start. The only time it is not hard to start is if you restart it within say 30 minutes of kill. Any advice?

90Brougham350
12-10-06, 10:22 PM
Holy shit! Post some pics of this thing! I wish I could help you with the diesel question.

davidrap
12-11-06, 02:50 PM
I am not too familiar with GM diesels, but I have owned a ton of Mercedes diesels. It would guess on of four things:

1. Glow Plugs. How long does the Glow Plug light stay on? Do you know how old the glow plugs are?

2. Glow Plug Relay: The sends the signal to the Glow Plugs to heat up. If this is not functioning properly plugs may not get hot or stay as hot as they need to.

3. Injection Pump: Not likely since the car is running well once started.

4. Battery: Too obvious...But does it have the proper battery in it and is it charging? Diesels require more cranking amps specifically in colder weather.

I hope this helps.

-David

www.blackandwhitecookies.com

bicentennialcadillac
12-11-06, 04:00 PM
http://www.gminsidenews.com/naias/smilies/needpics.gif

I'd love to get a look at her. One of these days I'm going to pick up a nice kero Caddy to fill out the fleet.

The Ape Man
12-11-06, 06:06 PM
I second the glow plug suspicion. A shop manual would tell you exactly how to check them. Anyone owning a car like yours needs a tool set and a shop manual. The gremlins will be scared to death with those 2 things around.

N0DIH
12-13-06, 10:25 PM
Got a clean air filter and fuel filter? No water in the fuel? With it getting cold, run the better diesel and see if that helps. Amsoil has Cetane boost which is supposed to help a lot. What oil are you running? 30W in this weather is not cool. I would recommend Rotella T 5W40 and an AC Delco filter. Is the injector timing correct? This is key to a diesel.

Check with C66Racing here, he is an Amsoil dealer and send you the datasheets on the diesel products. I have seen some tests on them and they do show some good results.

I have a 85 Cadillac Fleetwood FSM, I will look into diesel diagnosis this weekend. PM me to remind me...

DaveSmed
12-14-06, 11:21 PM
I'd agree to the glow plugs.....

But is this your first experience with a diesel by any chance? They have a slightly different start procedure than you may be used to...

elk9300`
12-15-06, 02:29 PM
Check the glow plug/relay system first.

For the battery, both the cold cranking amps rating and the reserve capacity of the battery are equally important in diesel fired engines. Simply put, your glow plugs rely on energy from the battery to heat up, then the battery has to crank the motor over.

The Jeep Liberty CRDs use an Optima Red top as standard equipment for this very reason.