: gas tank rust

creeker
12-10-06, 08:05 PM
I'm not having any problems(80 cdv). but you hear of gas tanks rusting out,is there anything that can be done to prevent this,is the rust usually on outside or inside of tank?. tnx.

codewize
12-10-06, 10:27 PM
They rust from the inside. Get yourself some POR15

http://www.por15.com/

I had the tank on my STS rust out, I was fortunate enough to find a girl on eBay parting out an Eldo of the same year. She lived in the Mojave desert so the car never saw winter.

creeker
12-10-06, 11:14 PM
Tnx for reply,this looks like paint,how do you paint inside of tank?.

brougham
12-10-06, 11:25 PM
They rust on the outside more. I just replaced mine a couple months ago because of that and it looked like new on the inside of it.

90Brougham350
12-11-06, 07:56 AM
They can rust in both places, but if you live where Winter rears its ugly head, it'll rust from the outside. Straps are often the first to go. My tank didn't look bad at all when I got it, only one large dent in the bottom and no real rust, but that didn't stop me from sanding it anyways and coating it with POR-15. Almost 2 years later it still looks like the day I painted it.

codewize
12-11-06, 03:49 PM
Don't be fooled, it's much more than that. The original POR15 is a paint like substance, they also make a fuel tank sealer. You pour the etching primer into the tank, slosh it around and drain it.

Then you poor the sealer into the tank and slosh it around, when you're done the tank won't leak for 100 years. I'm telling you this is good shit. If the rust IS on the outside then you're in luck and it's easy.

Tnx for reply,this looks like paint,how do you paint inside of tank?.

creeker
12-11-06, 10:13 PM
Tnx., 100 years should do it,is it a big job to drop the tank?.

codewize
12-11-06, 11:46 PM
That I don't know. My 89 was pretty easy. I bought new straps so the guy didn't have to worry about saving the old ones or fighting with the rust. They were like $12 ea or something.