: Sport shift problems

drdingo21
12-10-06, 07:52 PM
I recently purchased an 04 v8 SRX.

There are a few minor issues with it but overall I am happy with it.

I did some searching but couldn't find anything about the problems I'm experiencing.
The sport shift mode won't allow me to shift up. I can shift down just fine but when I push towards the little +, nothing happens. My local caddy dealer is charging $150 for "diagnostics" and will need it all day. Is there something I can do to check this?

Another issue, is the passenger out side mirror supposed to auto dim? My rear view and my driverís side does but not the passenger. It seemed strange they would do two of the three...

sgilbert
12-10-06, 09:58 PM
Obviously your SRX is out of warranty (4/50) or the dealer & GM would cover it. At current labor rates, $150 is only 2 hours labor. If they need it all day, then I'd say you're getting a bargain!

Nope---only the driver's side & rear view are auto dim. That's the way most all brands are set up.

drdingo21
12-10-06, 10:17 PM
That 150 covers just finding out what is wrong with it. He said then they will charge for parts and disassembling the console. He also mention I would probly get out there for $500. Doesn't seem like much of a bargin to me.

He mentioned fuses or relay that they would check, I was wondering if maybe someone knew what he was talking about or if this was an easy fix.

*edit* South bend? I use to live there before moving to Indy. None of the dealers down here give loaner cars. They instead offer rent a car service in house.

sgilbert
12-10-06, 10:57 PM
If it's fuses or relay, you'll get off cheap---you can check fuses yourself!

I suspect that you're stuck with a dealer (maybe not this one) as this is a quite complicated tranny---made in France, I believe.

My dealer doesn't give loaners either. If covered by warranty, I get an Enterprise Rent-a-Car at GM's expense.

When did you move? I noticed my tax bill went up recently! :)

robhersch
12-11-06, 12:02 PM
I agree that your car should still be under warranty- if within the 48 month, 50,000 miles - or under extended warranty (GM or other) for this problem.
If not, suggest a second opinion from an independent before paying $500.

You may also wish to consider buying a "ScanGuage" (www.scanguage.com) diagnostic tool for about the same cost as one (1) dealer test; it also reads both ODBII codes and (SRX) CAN codes++ (ref: cadillac-sts-forum-2005-beyond, "Turning self diagnostic on, ~ 03-26-06") many other data stored in the auto computers.

My questions & suggest you "self-test your 'sport shift' problem" :
1) if you stop, shift to 'sport', does the odometer display (from 1 to 5), does it go down when shifting [-]?, does it go up when shifting to [+] ?;
2) when starting to move, does the trans shift up at all but no more than to the gear indicated at 'normal speed/ RPM' ?;
3) my understanding: the 'sportshift' is NOT a MANUAL shift, it merely changes the 'shift points' of the automatic trans, ie at 60 MPH in top 5th gear, shift to 'sport' (5 displayed), shift [-], see RPM increase by downshift to 4th (4 displayed), then shift [+], should return to 5th (5 displayed)
4) my 05 N*V8 SRX appears to shift this way, but even in 'sport' (with 5 displayed) cannot get into top gear at speeds below ~ 40 - 45 MPH.

Good luck, hope you do not have a problem, keep us posted.

TSS
12-11-06, 04:37 PM
I have tried my sport shift and NEVER use it or the "sport" mode. If the vehicle were not under warrantee, I personally would not pay to fix - anybody use theirs a lot and disagree?

MortnCyn
12-11-06, 04:53 PM
I have tried my sport shift and NEVER use it or the "sport" mode. If the vehicle were not under warrantee, I personally would not pay to fix - anybody use theirs a lot and disagree?
Use mine with regularity. Great to down shift on downhill approaching traffic signals, exiting off interstate etc. Use it all the time through a series of traffic signals with several turns and never touch the brake. From stop at signal -1st to 2nd to 3rd down to 2nd through a left turn up to 3rd around another turn and if I make the next light on to 4th on uphill and then back to Drive.

TSS
12-11-06, 08:35 PM
Great to down shift on downhill approaching traffic signals, exiting off interstate etc.

I admittedly do also occasionally use it for these purposes, but any auto transmission can do that by shifting from Overdrive to 3rd or to 2nd. The SRX auto stick is convenient for that, but again not worth any significant money to fix IMO. Other than for the two above purposes, I do not use it.

MortnCyn
12-12-06, 05:48 PM
I admittedly do also occasionally use it for these purposes, but any auto transmission can do that by shifting from Overdrive to 3rd or to 2nd. The SRX auto stick is convenient for that, but again not worth any significant money to fix IMO. Other than for the two above purposes, I do not use it.But not at the proper time.

donjumpsuit
12-14-06, 01:25 AM
I am a big sportshift guy,

In traffic on the highway (lifesaver, no brakes)
Down a large hill going 25-30, (1st gear all the way)
When its raining (i like to have rpms at 3k so i can feel the road, know when i am hydroplaning, know when i am slipping)

And anytime I feel I need to be doing 25, but would like to hustle up to 45 in a matter of seconds to pass someone, or enter a lane in traffic. It also applies to the highway but I feel 3rd gear is a bit to low to do 70mph for an extended period of time.

my 2c