: Curbed Wheel

capt. dan
12-10-06, 10:59 AM
Bad day yesterday. The family (wife and kids to be exact) wanted to go to the mall and ride the merry go round and see Santa. Against my better judgement I had to drive the V. I had been out of town all week and was just itching to drive it. Anyways, after a half hour of traffic to get into the parking lot and another 20 minutes looking for a spot the kids(I am hungry amd thirsty over and over), wife (dont go so fast, watch out for people, that hurts my neck when you step on the gas), and traffic were getting to me a little. I went to take a turn and then another car coming the other way was there and didn't even see the curb. Got one of my four perfect wheels. Sounded worse than it looked, but instantly was sick to my stomach. I will try to bring myself and take some pictures and post but should I just file down and dab some touch up paint on it?

Thanks

Dan

HushH
12-10-06, 11:13 AM
I did the exact same thing coming out of a restaurant about a month after I had my V. Was paying too much attention to the kids in the back and not enough to where I was going. I feel your pain.

zozmanCTS-V
12-10-06, 12:52 PM
Bad day yesterday. The family (wife and kids to be exact) wanted to go to the mall and ride the merry go round and see Santa. Against my better judgement I had to drive the V. I had been out of town all week and was just itching to drive it. Anyways, after a half hour of traffic to get into the parking lot and another 20 minutes looking for a spot the kids(I am hungry amd thirsty over and over), wife (dont go so fast, watch out for people, that hurts my neck when you step on the gas), and traffic were getting to me a little. I went to take a turn and then another car coming the other way was there and didn't even see the curb. Got one of my four perfect wheels. Sounded worse than it looked, but instantly was sick to my stomach. I will try to bring myself and take some pictures and post but should I just file down and dab some touch up paint on it?

Thanks

Dan

Another reason to keep them garaged this festive holiday season. :helpless: If it isn't car doors banging against you, it's shopping carts. Drive a beater to the mall. Forget the touch-up paint for the wheel. They are aluminum. Either send it out to one of those professional wheel refinishers or find yourself a nice used or new replacement wheel on ebay and change it out so you don't have to be reminded of it all year.

Randy

heavymetals
12-10-06, 01:04 PM
You can use it as an opportunity to equip your car with a full size spare.

Forget the paint.

"All ships are safe in the harbor, but that is not what ships are built for".

TNT V
12-10-06, 04:24 PM
Does anyone know where to get exact touch up paint for our wheels? Does GM sell it in the touch up bottles?

ahahnu
12-10-06, 04:35 PM
I work at a mall, I love the holidays, 10 hours of christmas music and people bitching. I scratched mine the first night. I couldn't keep a good set of wheels nice, steel rims and hub caps no problem. Just get some new jewelry for the V.

capt. dan
12-10-06, 11:11 PM
I looked at it today and it is not as bad as it was yesterday. Guess I can live with ot for a while.:confused:

matty-matt
12-11-06, 08:46 PM
heck, just think how good it will look by the weekend, then!

BadCad
12-11-06, 08:57 PM
touch up paint for our wheels
We've all put curb rash on our wheels. Having driven a SUV before the V, I've botched mine before I became aware if the low profile of the stock setup.
Reed's FAQ has a post on the replacement paint code for the stock wheels.

MSJ
12-11-06, 11:06 PM
I've had curb rash on a rim twice, once by me and once by a friend. I used a professional wheel repair service. Came to my office, took wheel off, sanded it, painted it, cleared it. Can't find it to save my life. Asked a buddy a the caddy dealer to find it, he couldn't either. The charge was $85.00

Of course, there are good and bad out there as a dealership scratched one of the rims on my wife's car and called a different service. Needless to say, it wasn't the same quality of repair I had received...buyer beware.

RobertCTS
12-12-06, 05:06 AM
I have never gotten near a curb. There are shops that can straighten and refinish steel rims but not chrome.

capt. dan
12-12-06, 06:31 AM
I have never gotten near a curb.

Hope you didn't jinx yourself. This is what I drove before so I never worried about the curbs. I will go through the winter and make a decision in the summer. Maybe get the maggie and curb the other three...

JamesRocco
12-18-06, 10:18 AM
I feel for you. I watched my father do the same thing to my Caddy when i let him take it for a test drive. I shouldve known he had a few cocktails in him :crybaby: