: Need help with 1988 Brougham D'elegance.

johnvosh
12-10-06, 10:55 AM
Hello I am new on here and I was wondering if you could give me some advice/help. I just purchased a '88 Brougham D'elegance from pick n pull in Calgary for $700. It seems to be running pretty good except for a few minor problems. IT even passed inspection with flying colours!

The cruise control doesn't seem to kick in. You can turn the switch on and press the set button but it never engages. Second, the power locks don't work. Sometimes they will lock the locks, but never open them. Third, the secondary ports on the carb don't seem to ever open. When I am doing 110 KM/H on the highway and go to pass someone and I floor it, it doesn't downshift like it is suppose to.

And finally, I have a small vacuum hose that has a screw in it, but I can't figure out where it goes. Then there is this other thing that has a spot for a hose, but nothing is connected to it. I have included a couple of pictures so you can see. I don't know how to check for vacuum leaks. I have done the short A/B and the only code is gives me is 12, no other codes. I was also checking out the opera lights and seem to work, but not very good. They seem to be very dim, but do light up. How would I fix these or do I need to go and find some new ones.

Thanks in advance for all of your help! Hopefully the pictures show up as I am not sure how to post pics.

caddydude10000
12-10-06, 11:38 AM
ok first nice car.

the small vacuum hose that has a screw in it, probly goes to the cruise control, and if u have no vacuum going to the cruise unit, it will not work.

Power door locks - the siliniods are worn out.

Then there is this other thing that has a spot for a hose, but nothing is connected to it, looks like the charcoal can, leave it off.

The carb secondaries might just be stuck, with car not running - open the throttle and see if u can move the secondaries.

brougham
12-10-06, 02:48 PM
That vacuum hose isnt for the cruise control its on the wrong side of the car. Usually that kind of problem youre having with the power locks is because a wire is worn out between the door and the car but it could also be a switch thats broken thats making it not unlock. You have to take the door panel off and figure out whats wrong. Did you look at the opera lights at night? You cant see them too good during the day, But they do get dim when they die. If you want to fix them you need to get new ones. Theres a lot of posts about it and when youre looking for that look at some of the other posts too some of them might be interesting to read to find out more about your car :)

johnvosh
12-10-06, 04:29 PM
I did check the cruise control and there is 2 hoses going to it. I had to connect one because it was disconnected, but it didn't help.

As for the power locks, on the driver door switch it works sometimes. Usually when the door is closed, but the switch on the passenger door doesn't work at all. Very strange.

To caddydude10000, thanks. I wouldn't mind get a power buffer and was it, make it shine again. I also have to find an emblem for the trunk as it is no longer there. As for the second picture, there is one hose going into it from the carburetor and then the other hose goes to a delco reny unit??

90Brougham350
12-10-06, 05:01 PM
The windows might have been left down during rain at one time, so the terminals on the switch might be covered or corroded. That would explain the working sometimes.

My_favorite_Brougham
12-15-06, 11:25 PM
I had the same problem with my cruise control and it turned out everything was fine, except that the switch on the dash was loose. There should be a green light that comes on indicating that the cruise is 'on.' Then a yellow light comes on when it's engaged. If the green doesn't come on, then the unit isn't getting any power, and is essentially still 'off.' A simple junk yard replacement should do the trick, if that's the problem. If it is the case, try pushing the switch up to make a connection, or jiggle it. Then when the light comes on, try the cruise and it should engage, if all else is fine. Then you know the switch should be swapped (with one that's not loose).

I discovered that AFTER a six-hundred mile trip WITHOUT the cruise. I wish then I'd just stuck some gum in the switch to hold it. Best of luck!

lochenjons
12-24-06, 05:46 PM
i had the same problem with my cruise control... kind of. i still havn't fixed it. when i drove it back from east LA it worked fine and engaged and everything. but it hasn't worked since... it's on my list of things to fix... along with opera lights, broken antenna, and trunk light/pull down motor

FRANKO
12-30-06, 12:07 PM
The small line with the screw...most probably hooks up to the AIR switching valve directly beneath it. The port that it plugs IN to is not visible from topside...you have to feel around under its side to plug it in.

FRANKO

Gwokable
12-30-06, 07:48 PM
The Doohickey you've circled is the VRV or VDV: Vacuum relay valve or Vacuum Delay valve. it hooks into the Solenoid assembly which should be just right. You should have a image of the vacuum system on the front of your car that'll tell you how to route it.

The line is part of your cruise control/tps system. If it's malfunctioning, which it undoubtedly is because that hooks into the intake manifold and produces a negative pressure source for the cruise control to operate. It hooks into a 3-way connector which goes to a vacuum diaphram which is likely mounted on the front passangerside of the vehicle, above the charcoal canister. The other end of that 3-way hooks into the TPS (I believe it's the TPS) which is hooked onto the throttle above the alternator. That, in turn, hooks into a line which goes into the firewall (if memory serves). It's likely corqued because if it isn't the pressure in the rest of the vacuum lines decreases causing the engine to run crappy.

Here's a post I made in the 5.0 forum about this very subject.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/5-0-5-7/94176-efe-system-wierdness-88-brougham-307-a.html

You can probably rewire most of the emissions systems from those posts. I still have to fix my EFE system, however.

johnvosh
01-01-07, 02:43 PM
Gwokable, do you have any pictures of the hoses hooked up correctly? They would help me a bit more than the sticker that is on the car.

Thanks!

johnvosh
01-01-07, 02:43 PM
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2007 EVERYONE!!!!

Gwokable
01-01-07, 11:48 PM
Considering I just got done spending 3 weeks fixing my car and would have to pull the snorkel out with a finger that has a cut to the bone (not too bad, but it's numb), then dive through cords and get dirty to do it, no. I'm not going back into that engine compartment that extensivly for as long as humanly possible. Or at least before I get a good warm meal, a shower, and some sleep.

Waitaminute... *realizes he left the pizza in the oven, 3 hours ago, goes to check* hey, hrm, I didn't turn the oven on. Pizza looks good still...*turns oven on, cooks pizza*. Mmmm...extra crunchy We'll see if I can add food posioning to the list.

Just study the diagram. More than likely you're going to have to check all the lines anyway as some of them have been unhooked or are plugged in wrong. I just finished doing mine right, so if you've got any questions feel free to ask.

As a note, hit

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=1

Put in your vehicle info and start searching for parts. It has pretty pictures from which you can know what to look for.

johnvosh
01-07-07, 09:33 AM
Well I took and did some work on the car on Saturday. The cruise control still doesn't seem to work though. I was able to find out where and connect the two vacuum lines with the screws in them. Now the engine seems like it has a bit more power than before. You can also tell that when you floor it the secondary barrels are opening.

Now I need to find out what connects to the nipple in the second picture above. Also the timing seems like it is off a tiny bit. Where exactly do I shine the timing light to check the timing?

Thanks once again for all the help!

lochenjons
01-07-07, 12:49 PM
I was able to find out where and connect the two vacuum lines with the screws in them.

hey would you mind posting a pic of the lines and where they connect? before i make any hasty decisions on my car i want to find out if ive got the right lines.

thanks

johnvosh
01-07-07, 07:00 PM
I can probably post a couple of pics on Monday for you. In the first picture, the hose with the screw goes onto the nipple under the big short black hose. It is a upside down L shape, with 2 nipples. One hose goes to the air pump or there abouts and then this hose goes onto the other nipple. I still have to find out what connect to the one in the second pic.