: Dvd console question

wifescaddy
12-10-06, 11:49 AM
I want to add a dvd player ,but she really doesnt want the kind that hang from headrest.Can i add a factory console mounted one between the seats to it.I dont have nav. or bose,will it work or not.The skill part isnt the problem ,its will it play through the stock speakers or not,will it plug in or can i modify the wiring to work.

ewill3rd
12-10-06, 08:54 PM
GM has recently issued a bulletin telling us not to add factory options to vehicles that don't have them. You can really get into some crazy stuff.

I can tell you the factory system that vehicle uses can be obtained from a company called "model electronics". I don't know how to contact them, and whether or not they would do a retail sale. We only do warranty exchanges usually so I have never had to deal with it.
I can't speak to the harness thing either.
There might be some aftermarket alternatives that are console mounted.
Perhaps someone here can indicate a possible location to browse for such a system?

wifescaddy
12-11-06, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the reply.

wifescaddy
12-11-06, 09:42 AM
Could you get dvd with standard radio?

ewill3rd
12-11-06, 09:51 AM
Are you asking if you can get a rear seat DVD factory with the Base radio as a factory option?
(non-nav)

wifescaddy
12-11-06, 09:54 AM
yes thats it

ewill3rd
12-11-06, 11:12 AM
I am almost sure you CAN, I'd have to see one or do some research to know for sure.
People don't usually buy them that way, I can look at some schematics later and see how they show the options in the wiring diagrams.

wifescaddy
12-11-06, 11:25 AM
Yeah i was just looking at my shop key 5 here at work and it does show wiring diagrams for dvd with standard radio,so it could be done,ill have to look into it alittle farther.

TSS
12-11-06, 04:24 PM
Yes, rear DVD could be stand alone option without getting the NAV.

FarEast
12-11-06, 06:30 PM
Yes, rear DVD could be stand alone option without getting the NAV.

Ditto on above. I have exactly that - rear seat DVD, BOSE premium sound and 6 disc changer. No Navigation.
BTW does anyone know the model number for rear seat DVD player?

ewill3rd
12-11-06, 08:35 PM
Looks like that is your answer, if folks have the base radio with the rear seat DVD... looks like they make it that way. The harness SHOULD be the same but....

wifescaddy
12-12-06, 06:32 AM
yes your right its always that BUT ,you never know in the auto world.thanks everyone,got to decide if i should try it now.