: Water Pump Drive Pulley

boostedfbody
03-06-04, 03:48 PM
This is my first post on this site, I do have to commend everyone on this board for the very informative and friendly threads here. I have tried a search on this topic with no results that i need. I am hoping someone out there knows the part number of the tool to remove/install the water pump drive pulley on the camshaft. I have the factory service manual for the 1994 Eldorado i'm working on but the tool number the book gives is no longer used. I went to gmtools.com and found something with a similar description but the picture does not work so i don't know if it's the tool i'm looking for. The tool number on that site is KM-J-38816-A, can anyone tell me if this is the proper tool for the job? Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

El Dobro
03-06-04, 04:38 PM
The removal tool is J-38825 and the installation tool is J-38823. Unless you're going to be doing a lot of them, you may be better off going to an auto parts store that rents out tools.

Lawrence
03-06-04, 05:21 PM
I bought a pulley remover install set at Harbour Freight Tools for $9.99 which worked great. I don't know if you have one local but you can get it online too.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40749

boostedfbody
03-06-04, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the replies, I went with the harbor freight kit. Unfortunately i couldn't find a local parts store with those two factory tools.

Lawrence
03-06-04, 06:20 PM
No matter, the HF tool works nearly as well and... at $10............

Lawrence
03-06-04, 06:43 PM
boostedfbody, why do you have that pulley off anyway?

BeelzeBob
03-07-04, 12:12 AM
The puller for the water pump drive pulley (on the end of the intake camshaft) is very common as it is the exact same puller as is commonly used for power steering pulleys on GM cars. The pulley was specifically designed to use the power steering pulley puller so as to make it common.

You can pull the pulley back on with a long bolt and a stack of washers.... Just start pulling the pulley on the end of the cam with a long bolt into the end of the cam (that is why it is threaded). You can usually get 5 or 6 threads of rotation and then the bolt will bottom. Take it out, put on several washers and do it again. When it bottoms, remove the bolt and add more washers. Back yard but it works fine. Pull the pulley onto the cam until it is flush with the end of the cam.

Lawrence
03-07-04, 04:52 AM
This $10.00 tool from HF will install too!

boostedfbody
03-11-04, 02:53 PM
boostedfbody, why do you have that pulley off anyway?sorry for the delayed response, internet has been down for a while. anyway, i am taking it off is so i can get the valve cover off so i can remove the heads to replace the head gaskets. i just got my kit from HF yesterday and it worked perfectly, and you definitely can't beat the price.

i wish i could have read your post bbobynski, the parts store said the only puller they had was for the power steering pump. thanks for all the help, i definitely need it!

Brian

Lawrence
03-11-04, 03:22 PM
jeeesh.....seems to be an epidemic lately. You are going to Time-Sert, right?

dloch
03-11-04, 06:51 PM

I don't think it's an epidemic.... it's the internet and these forums. They are a wealth of information where we all share..... information. Heck 5 - 10 - 15 years ago when we pucked a head gasket on a motor because we were over boosting it, or grenaded a trans or rear end.....there was no one to share the misery with....... except ourselves, or close personal friends & neighbors.

GM, Ford, heck any of the auto manufactures relied on the dealer networks to help find problem or reoccuring problem area's. Now I think they rely on the internet and forums like these to help them in there manufacturing and design.

JMO

Lawrence
03-11-04, 09:55 PM
I don't think it's an epidemic.... it's the internet and these forums. They are a wealth of information where we all share..... information. Heck 5 - 10 - 15 years ago when we pucked a head gasket on a motor because we were over boosting it, or grenaded a trans or rear end.....there was no one to share the misery with....... except ourselves, or close personal friends & neighbors.

Yea, I hear ya. I have thought about that. I know bbob says the same thing. I am new to this forum so I don't have any real idea how often this happens. As even the forum itself is pretty new. But since I have been watching it seems like a large percentage of the posts are for the head gasket/oil leak issue. And not because mine has the problem too. I am trying to be objective.

I am not new to forums, having followed others for four or five years. Two boat forums, a Honda forum and a Suburban forum (actually a different section of the one of the outdoor forums). On any of these other forums have I seen any issue that recurred like this NS head gasket & oil leak thing, outside of a MotorGuide trolling motor issue and the Honda rust issue. No big deal. In fact, on those other forums it actually surprises me most of those guys don't have more problems than they do considering some of the bonehead things they do, or don't do, to their "equipment".

I suppose only time will tell. I sure hope I'm wrong as I really like these cars.

Regards,
Lawrence

zonie77
03-11-04, 10:29 PM
If the headgasket repair wasn't so involved there wouldn't be as many people looking for info on it. People get excited when quoted $3000-5000. They know it's not cheap but that's more than they expect.

I came here for tips on doing headgaskets. It turned out to be a lot easier than I thought.

We are doing the headgaskets on a 97 STS. Got the engine out in 6 hours. It's easier than a 94. That's with no power tools and me going home for my floor jack that I forgot! It would be even faster with an air compressor/power tools.

Lawrence
03-11-04, 11:49 PM
It turned out to be a lot easier than I thought.

Yes, I thought so too. I'm glad Cadillac allowed for top removal. Everything went very smooth. The engine is very easy to work on. My only complaint the wiring harness. If only they would have added two disconnects......

We are doing the headgaskets on a 97 STS. Got the engine out in 6 hours. It's easier than a 94. That's with no power tools and me going home for my floor jack that I forgot! It would be even faster with an air compressor/power tools.

You're doing another one? Are you going into business? :)
Yes I have heard they fixed the wiring harness on the newer ones. Is that what made it easier? Or is it you know what to do know? Both I suppose.

zonie77
03-12-04, 12:04 AM
Wiring harness easier. There is still a bulkhead connector but much easier to deal with and experience. I will be looking for one with bad headgaskets later this year.

dloch
03-12-04, 11:23 AM
Think in terms of people who don't have headgasket problems... There are more of those people than ones who do. Like bbob says most of these cars have 100K plus miles have in most cases weren't taken care of for the most part..... sooooo we take our chances. I bought mine knowing it had some sort of cooling leak issue, but the price was very right and I figured I'd just deal with, which I will. Pull it, fix it add a converter put it back in and whip on it..... If I break it, I start the process over again.

zonie77
03-12-04, 08:36 PM
We dropped the engine out the bottom. Easy.

boostedfbody
03-13-04, 12:53 PM
it sure seems like an epidemic. this is the first of 4 caddy's with blown headgaskets i will be repairing. i will be doing the time serts, i don't want any of these cars coming back and me having to fix them for free. i can't wait until i can go back to working on small block chevy's! thanks again for all the info.

Brian

tommyj
12-25-08, 02:11 AM
hi i have a 2000 deville an im trying to put the water pump pulley back on the cam shaft and im having a very hard time hopefully you guiys have an easy way for me to do this
thanks

Submariner409
12-25-08, 02:58 PM
It will be difficult to get a reply to a 4 1/2 year old thread......most of the posters haven't been heard from in a while....You'll have better luck with your other two threads on the same subject.