: 1996 Fleetwood Coolant smell when air is on?

RobDeville
12-10-06, 08:23 AM
I have a coolant smell when the air is on. I do not see it gathering on the passenger side anywhere. Levels seem consistent although I have had it less than 2wks. Any ideas? thanks.

509Rider
12-10-06, 02:16 PM
Look on your firewall close to your heatercore lines there is a little hole were the coolant will leak out, so it dosent get on your floor, I just replaced my heater core a few weeks ago for the same reason.

JRau
12-10-06, 06:01 PM
Yeah, sounds like you've got a heater core issue. That's a pretty penny to replace, too....

Good luck.

JRau in central Iowa

BCs71
12-11-06, 12:48 PM
Your other post read that you have a coolant leak under the hood.
I am guessing that your incoming air into the HVAC system is picking up the smell from the leak in the engine compartment.

cadillac king
12-11-06, 04:12 PM
I have a coolant smell when the air is on. I do not see it gathering on the passenger side anywhere. Levels seem consistent although I have had it less than 2wks. Any ideas? thanks.
Check your heater core, mine was doing the same thing.

RobDeville
12-13-06, 06:01 AM
Thanks guys. I will start at the heater core. BCs71 posted that I stated I had a leak under the hood. I never stated that and I do not. I have no noticeable leaks. I may have not been clear in another post. Thanks for the responses.

I will post back with my progress.

caddieboy
12-13-06, 10:26 AM
Thanks guys. I will start at the heater core. BCs71 posted that I stated I had a leak under the hood. I never stated that and I do not. I have no noticeable leaks. I may have not been clear in another post. Thanks for the responses.

I will post back with my progress.

If there are no noticable leaks, I would try some stop leak in the rad first.

BCs71
12-14-06, 12:45 PM
oops, sorry. I guess I had you confused with someone else! My apologies...

I would also suspect the heater core in your situation.

RobDeville
12-14-06, 05:03 PM
Dont worry about it BCS71. I appreciate you taking the time to respond at all!! Even if you are trying to confuse me.:bonkers: You had me double guessing what I posted!!:p But really thanks to you and everyone else.

I have the weekend off and hopefully will make some lead way as to what is going on. I will hopefully have some good news.

caddieboy
12-17-06, 12:39 AM
Dont worry about it BCS71. I appreciate you taking the time to respond at all!! Even if you are trying to confuse me.:bonkers: You had me double guessing what I posted!!:p But really thanks to you and everyone else.

I have the weekend off and hopefully will make some lead way as to what is going on. I will hopefully have some good news.

I just discovered a similar problem with my '82 Cutlass Supreme. A friend said it likely just needs some clamps tightened. He said it could be the heater core, but to tighten the clamps first and see how it goes.