: For those of you who've removed your front license plate........

bcholka
12-09-06, 08:25 PM
The V looks worlds better without the front plate. :thumbsup: I removed mine and thought that there was something for purchase to either "plug" or "fill" the 4 holes in the bumper. I can't imagine leaving these raw holes uncovered. :eek: Any help would be very appreciated :thumbsup:

zozmanCTS-V
12-09-06, 08:43 PM
Try Bumperplugs.com :thumbsup:

Randy

rgd
12-10-06, 01:49 AM
What color?
If black, for a short term fix you might try those push in type fastners. The simple one piece kind that have ribs (lack of better desc) that crush as you push them in.
Better than a sharp stick in the eye!
rgd
Only came to mind because I bought some last night.

CIWS
12-10-06, 07:11 AM
Looks better Yes, invites more trouble from law enforcement if illegal in your state Yes. I'm keeping mine on. The last thing I need is a 2nd ticket if I get pulled over.

svassh
12-10-06, 09:51 AM
Looks better Yes, invites more trouble from law enforcement if illegal in your state Yes. I'm keeping mine on. The last thing I need is a 2nd ticket if I get pulled over.

CIWS, I agree if mine was on I'd keep it on. Just can't bring myself to drill into the bumper since its not on. I'm sure my first ticket will change my mind. I sometimes watch for other cars without front plates while driving. Often suprised by how many there are in Texas.

mtbfamily
12-10-06, 10:06 AM
although i have had a ticket, the plate remains off. my v is black and the exposed holes quite small. i used a black silicon as filler and it looks fine.

heavy footed
12-10-06, 12:59 PM
My cts came with a front licence plate when I bought it,when I took off the front plate there were some color matched plugs holding it on to the bumper
i just took those plugs and put them in the holes and now it looks great!
I'm sure the dealer has some colored matched plugs I would try them first!

heavy footed
12-10-06, 01:02 PM
oh and by the way it is only a fix it ticket in cali
it costs you 10 dollars and you have to put your front plate back on
and get it signed off at the police station by an officer.
then you could go home and take it back off:lildevil:

heavymetals
12-10-06, 01:31 PM
oh and by the way it is only a fix it ticket in cali
it costs you 10 dollars and you have to put your front plate back on
and get it signed off at the police station by an officer.
then you could go home and take it back off:lildevil:

It also gives Johnny law "probable cause". :suspense:

Don't drill holes. :thepan:

bcholka
12-10-06, 02:16 PM
I purchased some plugs from bumperplugs.com--will post some pics once installed (unless one of you already has them installed and feels like posting your pic) :thumbsup:

heavy footed
12-10-06, 02:16 PM
if you got nothing to hide then there are no worrys! if you do then i know the perfect hiding spot in your car!
if they want probable cause they will do anything to get it anyway! have you ever watched cops? hahaha

svassh
12-10-06, 03:53 PM
It also gives Johnny law "probable cause". :suspense:

Don't drill holes. :thepan:

Heavy, thats pretty clever. Much better than drilling holes, did you make that yourself or purchase?

heavymetals
12-10-06, 05:18 PM
Heavy, thats pretty clever. Much better than drilling holes, did you make that yourself or purchase?

Designed and made by ME!

If you want pics and dimensions contact me.

12-10-06, 05:44 PM
What I don't understand is that if you don't want to drill holes and mount a front plate because it looks bad, then what is the point of making a temporary mounting that looks bad? (Not questioning your engineering or fabricating skills Mr. Metals, sir; quite to the contrary it looks like nice work).

I agree that having a front plate doesn't look as good as having no front plate, but every temporary mounting that I have seen looks horrible, places the grill at risk if anything comes in contact with the front plate, or risks paint scratches at contact points. So it seems to me if you are concerned about how your car "looks" then you either risk it with no front plate, move to a 1-plate state, or mount it the right way and fuggedaboudit.

Resale? I cannot and do not believe that a front plate has any effect on resale.....even many barrett-jackson cars have front plates.

The probably cause argument is valid only if you are carrying something or someone you shouldn't, or you've ingested something you shouldn't, or otherwise have something to hide; otherwise, I trust Mr. Law and if I earn myself a front plate ticket I'll accept it with a smile and a thank you. (I could also make the argument that if I wanted to lay low on the road, a 400 hp caddy wouldn't be my first choice of vehicles).

Unfortunately I've drawn the attention of VA's finest several times in the V, and (unfortunately) the missing front plate was never the issue. Besides, it is in the trunk if I need it :D .

Ok, flame away. I've got my asbestos pajamas on.

ahahnu
12-10-06, 06:08 PM
I have been pulled over three times by the same cop in my town. One ticket, one written and one verbal warnig. I just thought the guy had a hard on for me untill it happened in another town. Now I do what CTSV05 taught me, I bent the plate and attatched it in front of the lower grill.

heavymetals
12-10-06, 06:26 PM
I just couldn't stand holes in the front facia.:thehand:

The mounting screws are into expanding rubber plugs that "swell up" in between the grill when the mounting screws are tightened.

The plugs are very well hidden when the bracket/assy is removed.

Thanks for the compliments.:thumbsup:

ntechnic
12-10-06, 07:42 PM
BumperPlugs.com, got em for my wifes SRX, they're perfectly colormatched and look great. My CTS-v didn't need them, I asked dealer not to install the front bracket.

Albertan
12-10-06, 07:52 PM
Lucky for me Alberta only needs a rear plate. Unlucky for me the highway patrol is really attracted to Red V's esp in South Dakota and Wyoming. (8:30AM SUNDAY!)

amyer
12-10-06, 08:43 PM
Been running with no front plates on a couple of vehicles for the past few years. I have gotten one or two tickets but its kind of like a "no plates tax." Also sometimes when you get pulled over for speeding, it helps to have a lesser offense available for a no points ticket. It has happened to me on more than one occasion.

Silver Dollar
12-10-06, 10:42 PM
Bumper plugs?

Sounds like something Florian and Dannystang might have some familiarity with.

heavy footed
12-11-06, 01:23 AM
here's a pic of what I did with mine....

tweeter81
12-11-06, 10:36 AM
I purchased some plugs from bumperplugs.com--will post some pics once installed (unless one of you already has them installed and feels like posting your pic) :thumbsup:

I would be great to see what the bumper plugs look like on the V. I am in the process of deciding on them or getting the holes on the bumper filled and the bumper repainted. The problem is the bumper plugs are too expensive (relatively speaking) if you get them and they look bad, but it is way too expensive to have to pay $300+ dollars to have a body shop get the bumper to look perfect. Hmmm...quite an quandary.

NEW77GUY
12-11-06, 11:26 AM
Now I do what CTSV05 taught me, I bent the plate and attatched it in front of the lower grill.

Pics?? Thanks...

ahahnu
12-11-06, 12:39 PM
Someone is going to have to refresh my memory on how to post pics. Not a supporting member.... I'd also like to include what happened to me the other night...

Silver Dollar
12-11-06, 02:11 PM
It didn't involve bumper plugs, did it?

Either way, just become a supporting member. You'll sleep better afterward when you're no longer a freeloader. I know I did.

12-11-06, 02:49 PM
[quote=Silver Dollar;897657] a freeloader. [quote]

thanks for reminding me of the $20 elitism that made me start to spend time elsewhere.

CIWS
12-11-06, 02:59 PM
thanks for reminding me of the $20 elitism that made me start to spend time elsewhere.

You could probably better spend that 20 dollars in a comedy club. Possibly learn to tell when someone is joking.

Silver Dollar
12-11-06, 03:23 PM

Glad you're back.

12-11-06, 09:27 PM
You could probably better spend that 20 dollars in a comedy club. Possibly learn to tell when someone is joking.

yeah....I'll go heckle Kramer's next standup act.

RobertCTS
12-12-06, 05:18 AM
I could never stand those bumper plugs. They look so cheap. Take your ride to a body shop and do it right. Here in Ohio we have to have front plates.
It gives you a chance to be creative with vanity tags.:cool2:

http://usera.imagecave.com/BobsWork/v-grill-5.jpg

CIWS
12-12-06, 07:28 AM
yeah....I'll go heckle Kramer's next standup act.

HAHA :D

ctsvflorida
12-12-06, 08:33 AM
I can't believe that this thread lasted this long! Amazing!

P.S. I must say that I LOL about the $20 supporting member bit and the reply was even better! Then the reply to that was about taking a joke! C'mon now, you know you were half serious and I agree! Say what you believe, have some balz...yeah it's $5 A MONTH! 5 BUCKS A MONTH...5 BUCKS! Hold on, I hear a bird...cheap...cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap cheap! Case closed!

ctsvflorida
12-12-06, 08:37 AM
Someone is going to have to refresh my memory on how to post pics. Not a supporting member.... I'd also like to include what happened to me the other night...

Lemme guess...you had a dream that you were a supporting member? You got pictures of that too? LMAO

mcfaddens17
01-01-07, 01:19 PM
How are the fasteners removed on the license plate cover? I have been wanting to remove mine, but have not had the time to figure out how to get the fasteners out easily. I'm in NC, so don't nneed the front cover and definately looks much better without.

RobertCTS
01-01-07, 01:34 PM
How are the fasteners removed on the license plate cover? I have been wanting to remove mine, but have not had the time to figure out how to get the fasteners out easily. I'm in NC, so don't nneed the front cover and definately looks much better without.

They are riveted on. Use a drill. I suggest filling the holes at a body shop. The bumper plugs look dorkie IMO.

With a CQQL vanity plate on the front it's not bad.

http://usera.imagecave.com/BobsWork/v-grill-5.jpg