: Painted Running Boards?? How??

nofinga911
12-09-06, 08:37 PM
I saw a picture of a custom painted monotone 07' white diamond escalade..and the guy even had his running boards painted white, the top part that you step on..do you guys think the paint would hold up to being stepped on and stuff?

jrs05caddyext
12-09-06, 10:15 PM
I dont think it would hold up if you have people stepping on it

Foxriverkid
12-10-06, 07:01 PM
Dupont IMRON paint. I had it put on boats and airplanes in the past. It can be mixed to match and it's tough. It's as tough as it gets.

nofinga911
12-10-06, 11:48 PM
Dupont IMRON paint. I had it put on boats and airplanes in the past. It can be mixed to match and it's tough. It's as tough as it gets.

are you saying thats what they use for something like that? or are you recommending it?? because it also has to have good adhesion to the top of the running boards because their (wow i forgot) either plastic or i think probably rubber..

hcvone
12-11-06, 08:17 AM
It's the only thing that's going to hold up to walking on. They use it on boats. :)

Foxriverkid
12-11-06, 08:37 AM
What I would actually suggest to you is to go to an automotive paint store. I forgot that the tops are rubber or the like. What you need is what they call an "elastmeric" paint. This is the paint type that is used on flexible body parts such as bumper covers, etc. I don't think Imron will flex. There is a way to do it. Has to be.

nofinga911
12-11-06, 06:02 PM
What I would actually suggest to you is to go to an automotive paint store. I forgot that the tops are rubber or the like. What you need is what they call an "elastmeric" paint. This is the paint type that is used on flexible body parts such as bumper covers, etc. I don't think Imron will flex. There is a way to do it. Has to be.

ok so i guess most high end body shops or custom car shops would know what to use...but when i decide to get it done..ill just do some research on the paint that they tell me they will use..thanks guys

Foxriverkid
01-10-07, 10:25 AM
Almost any body shop will do. Remember that almost all cars have painted, soft bumpers both front and rear. The paint is used. Don't spend (waste) money on a custom shop. This a no big deal.

nofinga911
04-03-07, 07:02 PM
any more input on if you guys think the paint will hold up...what if i had them painted and then had something put over them...umm like a thin pice of plexiglass cut to fit over the running boards...i dont care if they get slippery lol...but its just an idea

gforceext
04-04-07, 11:23 AM
Imron will stick to almost anything if the prep is done well. Boats and planes use imron for a reason...

nofinga911
04-04-07, 12:11 PM
Imron will stick to almost anything if the prep is done well. Boats and planes use imron for a reason...

but will they be able to make white diamond color with it?

lazar
04-04-07, 05:10 PM
You could possibly try line-x or some other type of sprayable bedliner on it. It would be good since that stuff is tough as hell and is slip resistant. I just don't know if it would match perfectly to white diamond, I have seen a white sprayed on bed liner on a dodge and it looked pretty nice.

STEALTHBOMBER
04-04-07, 06:22 PM
your best bet would be paint diamond plate there are a bunch of paints that will hold up a lot better to the metal plus the fact that you wont have to worry about losing the grip on the running board

nofinga911
04-04-07, 06:49 PM
your best bet would be paint diamond plate there are a bunch of paints that will hold up a lot better to the metal plus the fact that you wont have to worry about losing the grip on the running board

i would imagine diamond plate would mess up easier since it is not a flat surface and the diamonds are sharp and solid...wouldnt it have to be powder coated? but then again nobody can color match white diamond in powder form....hmmm

STEALTHBOMBER
04-05-07, 11:09 PM
i would imagine diamond plate would mess up easier since it is not a flat surface and the diamonds are sharp and solid...wouldnt it have to be powder coated? but then again nobody can color match white diamond in powder form....hmmm

true its a very hard color to match and powder coating is prob impossible but the running board dont directly touch any of the white diamond parts so you might not notice the diffrence