: Adding trunk cd changer to 99 Eldo

Rag64top
12-09-06, 04:06 PM
I am new to Caddy's and I would like to add a cd changer to my
99 Eldo. It has the stock cassette player right now, (the cheap one)
Is this car already wired for the trunk changer?
Is the stock radio capable of controlling the trunk changer?
I'm not interested in a FM type changer due to the poor sound quality.
I would like to buy a stock changer on Ebay, and hopefully just plug it in and play!
I have searched the forum for the answers, but don't really find them.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peace
Rags

Rag64top
12-09-06, 06:01 PM
I have looked in the trunk, and found a small flat 2 section plug, that is about 1.5"X1/4" It has 8 plugs, and 12 plug, only about 7 of them are wired.
I also found a larger harness, that had a large receptacle type plug.
It looked like it was for extra relays possibly for some options that I don't have?
I checked out the dash unit, and it doesn't say Bose on it anywhere, so I assume that its just the base stereo that came with the car. If I push the source button, it just goes back and forth between the radio, and the casette, is this bad news for me, as long as this dash unit goes?
I really don't want to change the dash unit, and pay the dealer to unlock the new one, unless I can find one with a cd that has my woodgrain template with it. This looks like factory woodgrain that is on my dash, and doors. Every Cadillac cd dash unit that I see on Ebay, comes only with the plastic front plate, that looks pretty cheap.
If I was luck enough to find one that matches mine, that would fix the problem, and wouldn't have to add the trunk unit.
I wonder about trying to find out who makes the dash inserts, and see if I could get a replacement for mine, except with the cd player cutouts.

Anyone doing this same deal?

Thanks
Rags

CadillacSTS42005
12-09-06, 09:47 PM
theres no cd dash player you can swap into your car all of them require an external amp aka BOSE
if you wanna add a disc changer you can do it very easily check your pm box...

Rag64top
12-09-06, 10:40 PM
So, you are saying that my stock radio will control a trunk changer just as it is, just plug and play?
I tried to reply to your pm, but it says I need 50 post's before I can pm.
It will be a couple of weeks before I am ready to buy one.
Thanks
Rags

CadillacSTS42005
12-09-06, 11:01 PM
yup you got it as long as you have the plug in the back and about EVERY eldo and seville 96+ had it, you can simply plug in and control the changer

Rag64top
12-10-06, 03:48 PM
Great, thanks
Does anyone have the part number for the changer unit I need.
Also will a 12 disk changer work or do I need the 6 cd only?
If anyone has any pics of the changer I need please post them
Thanks
Rags

CadillacSTS42005
12-10-06, 06:41 PM
6 disc is for 98+ seville and 00+ deville
you need the 12 disc

Rag64top
12-10-06, 07:51 PM
Thanks, so would this work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130055388010&fromMakeTrack=true

CadillacSTS42005
12-10-06, 08:01 PM
yup
prob wont end at that price sumthing to keep in mind...

Rag64top
12-11-06, 03:35 PM
I Still don't have anough posts to PM you. Can you email me
at rag64topATcomcast.net? Want to talk about your changer.
Thanks
Rags

JohnnymacB
12-12-06, 06:23 AM
I have the changer in the trunk & it worked fine until I changed the battery in my car. Now the changer works--you can hear it--but no sound comes out of the speakers.

JohnnymacB
12-12-06, 06:24 AM
USA SPEC SCDG190V5 is the changer I bought.

JohnnymacB
12-12-06, 06:44 AM
in my '01 Eldorado the changer plugs in on the right side of the trunk--had to cut the lining to get to the plug

Rag64top
12-12-06, 07:52 PM
That's weird about it not working after the battery change, don't have a clue about that. On my 99, the harness was on the passangers side of the trunk.
Just took one carpet hook, and the hook for the trunk hammock off to get to it.

dp102288
12-12-06, 08:00 PM
Dunno if this is applicable, but you may have to pull a fuse or something. I remember ETC told someone that once for a problem. Not sure on the details though.

CadillacSTS42005
12-12-06, 08:18 PM
yup
if it does that the retained power screwd it up
1st you unplug the changer if thats a no go then you try the fuse

Woob
02-09-07, 11:17 PM
I have a '99 Deville that I would like to put a CD changer in the trunk. Will all this apply equally for me or are there other things to be considered? The car does have the trunk plug as described in an earlier post in this thread. I'm hoping to just be able to do a plug & play.

Thanks in advance. :cool2:

CadillacSTS42005
02-10-07, 12:38 AM
i have the changer but not the magazine for it
ill sell it if youd like it...

Woob
02-11-07, 07:58 PM
What are you asking? I'm sure I can always find a magazine on eBay.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone cares, I'm also looking for info under a post entitled "CD changer for a 1999 Deville?" in the "Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:..." forum.
More specifics on my situation there. Thanks all.

CadillacSTS42005
02-11-07, 10:50 PM
idk
complete with mag they go for like 100-120 i think
what about 70+ shipping sound good?

Woob
02-14-07, 10:26 PM
I guess I could go for that. As long as you don't go overboard on the shipping charges like some of those wackos on eBay.:bulging: How about sending a PM with all the particulars?

You can guarantee this is going to work, right?:gungrin:

CadillacSTS42005
02-14-07, 11:10 PM
indeed
email me being you cannot pm back
cadillacetc1997@yahoo.com

samm
02-16-07, 01:37 PM
ETC, will the 12 disc still work in the 98+ sivvy's or just the 6? and... it wouldn't be able to do anything sweet like read DVD's would it? <---i think i'm getting too greedy

Woob
02-16-07, 11:34 PM
Emails sent.:)

Woob
02-27-07, 08:04 AM
Hey CadillacETC1997! Where did you go? You left me hanging. No replies to my emails. While waiting I found a CD changer on eBay with a magazine included. Bought it for $65 total. Hell, the mags alone go for $40 - $60! I didn't know that.

Anyway, I'm having some issues and have started a new post. Maybe you can help me out. Thanks again.

Rag64top
02-27-07, 08:24 PM
I saw your post about the problems with the Ebay changer. I would send it back to the seller, and tell him it doesn't work right, maybe you can get a full refund, as he sold a broken player.
I bought one on Ebay, it it works perfectly, so try to get a refund.

Peace
Rags

Woob
02-28-07, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the input, Rags. I just want to make sure there is not some other issue before I demand a refund. But that possibility surely does exist and if it turns out to be the changer, you can bet your sweet :lildevil: that I'll be asking for my money back.

Woob
03-03-07, 12:38 AM
Got an email from my eBay seller today. We're working on it. Seems like a pretty nice guy so far.

Took unit to a local stereo place but they couldn't do anything for me. They did give me the name of a place that does GM warranty work on stereo systems. Now its just getting the time to make the trip.

Woob
03-12-07, 09:27 AM
Its a no go at the warranty shop. They want $250 to fix the unit. EBay seller is going to refund my money. I'm holding on to the unit. Maybe someone, someday will be able to fix it cheaply.

I took the cover off of the unit and it seems the CDs are not spinning and thus not being read.

Anybody have any ideas on what the problem may be? Thanks to everyone up to now. This will pretty much end the saga of CD changer #1.

Next?

OffThaHorseCEO
03-12-07, 01:14 PM
ill buy that dead cd changer off of you, i only want it as a case so you can gut it if you want