: Wrrrring sound during cold start up lately

ahahnu
12-09-06, 09:43 AM
Lately its been pretty cold here (Jerz), first it started when I would trun the wheels, last night it made the noise right during start up. Continued when i would lightly test the gas pedal, and definately when I turned the wheels. Usually in the morning I start her up, then back out of the garage and let it sit for a few mins before I go anywhere. I tend to do the same thing at work, last night when I cranked her up I check the oil temp (28). Wasn't sure if it had anything to do with it.... Anyone else suffer from this or have any ideas?? Before I leave for work this morning I plan to go check fluid levels.
Thanks for your help!

thebigjimsho
12-09-06, 10:54 AM
Yep! Power steering. Make sure you have your fluid up to level. Per the FAQ, I'm replacing the power steering cooler and flushing the fluid in the spring. My V is sleeping right now...

svassh
12-09-06, 10:55 AM
Yes, it was 61 degrees in my garage this AM, wait no I don't have this problem.

50 4Ever
12-09-06, 03:11 PM
BigJim hit it on the nose.

I read you said you let her sit a few minutes before you go anywhere. I flip over to coolant temp and idle until the temp reaches 100. My oil temp has never been as low as yours but has dipped down to 33.

Check the power steering level, it will just get worse.

ahahnu
12-09-06, 03:16 PM
Thanks guys! Jim def jealous I wish I could lay her up for the winter. I checked the power steering fluid level, almost none! I bought some on my way to work, so I'll fill'er up later.

svassh, I may have said it before, but I love the avitar. I watch that show as much as possible. I'm gonna thread jack my own thread, did you know Ed O'neil didn't even want to do the show, so when he auditioned his hoe hum attitude won out. Thank god.