: How to get at the starter?

jreld
04-13-03, 11:36 PM
I have a 96 Eldorado. When I turn the key to start, I just get a click. Voltage is 12.3V with the engine off, 13.6 with the engine on. The battery was recently replaced. While turning the key, if I whack the engine block with a steel rod it starts right up. This leads me to think that it is either a loose or corroded connection or a sticky Bendix.

On a Caddy newsgroup, someone was kind enough to point me to pictures of the starter - UNDER the intake manifold:mad: . My question is - how do I get to it? Do I have to take the engine apart? Is this a job best left to the $85/hr dealer?

Thanks

Katshot
04-14-03, 08:50 AM
I know it LOOKS tough but the plenum actually comes off real easy. Just lift it up and there's the starter. I usually do a starter in less than 20min.

jadcock
04-14-03, 08:52 AM
It's actually pretty easy. The intake manifold is dry -- meaning you don't even have to drain coolant. The intake seals are reusable, so you shouldn't have to buy new ones. The "hardest" part would be making sure you mark all the connections (like fuel and vacuum, etc) to make sure everything gets connected back up correctly. IIRC, there are only 4 or 8 manifold bolts to come out.