: Need crash course in Replacement Brake Pads..

austin
12-08-06, 10:10 AM
Will be in need of new brake shoes soon..... Not sure which way to go.... Factory GM pads or not. I have also seen ones from Hawk, and Posi Quiet being sold on ebay. Not sure if they are junk or not though. I would like to keep the material strong, and also have no noise, and possibly less dust. What are most of you guys using around here. What is the best bang for the buck that will last a very long time. Any Installation tips would also be welcome.. :)

Dreamin
12-08-06, 10:53 AM
Factory GM pads and Hawk HP pads work great. Those are your main choices for street pads.

Install is here: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/bpadchange/index.html

FWIW, I've found you can push the brake pistons back into the caliper using your fingers. I Love these brakes!! :D

austin
12-08-06, 10:56 AM
Great... Thanks... BTW... Is bleeding a must afterwards? :)

Dreamin
12-08-06, 01:34 PM
It's not a must... but it's a really, really, really good idea. You could skip the bleed, and see how the brakes feel... if the pedal is still firm... you'll be fine. Otherwise bleed it.

But if you've never tracked the car, you could skip the bleed.

But if the car is ~2 years old, you really should bleed... maybe even flush the fluid.

But if...

Feffman
12-08-06, 04:41 PM
Haven't used them on the CTS-V but for years I've used Carbotech pads (www.CarboTechEng.com) on my Lotus Esprit. The CTS-V pad is the same as the Esprit's front caliper.

For track days I used Carbotech's XP Panther Plus and on the street their Bobcat compound. Definitely bleed the system with each pad change and flush no less then annually. It's cheaper then rebuilding or replacing a Brembo caliper.

Feff

mike041357
12-08-06, 06:20 PM
Hawk HPS pads are great replacements. Look in a few past posts, or maybe even the classifieds. I think someone had some pads new in the box they were selling since the car was on the way out. The Hawks have mucho less dust. Contact James at Lindsay as they have the best deal.

VelodromeRacer
12-08-06, 06:24 PM
Feffman...great to see you here...glad you sold the Espirit and bought the V,

Track days will be fun now...I might be able to keep up!

Doug

austin
12-08-06, 06:25 PM
FYI... My 2004 "V" just hit 14,400 miles. When i had it out the other day, the rear brakes sqeeled everytime i hit the brake pedal. Is 14,400 about right for brake time on a "non" track, regular street driven "V"..

Feffman
12-08-06, 07:21 PM
Feffman...great to see you here...glad you sold the Espirit and bought the V, Track days will be fun now...I might be able to keep up!

Doug

Doug:

Thanks! Are you coming to Autobahn(June 4) and Putnam Park(July 23). Gotta get Whitney to bring the Audi. :) Dinner at the steak place again in June!

Loving the V. Have some minor plans (short shifter, maybe the Ground Control coil overs, maybe a Corsa exhaust). Extra wheels are in the basement awaiting track tires! :)

Talk to you soon!

Feff

DILLIGAF
12-08-06, 10:56 PM
FYI... My 2004 "V" just hit 14,400 miles. When i had it out the other day, the rear brakes sqeeled everytime i hit the brake pedal. Is 14,400 about right for brake time on a "non" track, regular street driven "V"..
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,i'm pushing 40,000 on my V and theres enough meat on the brakes to not even consider changing the pads.

austin
12-08-06, 11:11 PM
40,000 on original brakes??? Why the heck are my rears squeaking when i hit the brakes?

mike041357
12-09-06, 12:00 AM
Have 'em checked. Usually the wear indicators squeal when your foot is off the brake, and then goes away when you depress the brake. As far as squealing when braking, that is usually the pad backing plate vibrating.

austin
12-09-06, 12:45 AM
I thought it was the wear indicator.... Because that is what it exactly sounds like.... But the squealing only happens when the brake is depressed, and it goes away as soon as the brake is released. You are probably right about the pad/backing plate causing it.

lunarx
12-10-06, 12:29 AM
I just put on a set of Endless SS-M Fronts.
Yes, you can get Endless for the V.
http://racecompengineering.com/
Kelly or Miles

Part Numbers are:
F: SM 357
R: SM 958 (14mm or 17.8mm thickness)
I plan to get the rears as soon as I figure out the thickness I need.

I had my set drop shipped to me from Japan.
These [SS-M] pads are very expensive, but they are a completely non-metalic formula designed for low dust yet still provide great performance.
I literally just put them on, so they are not bedded in yet.
So far, from my 1st test drive, they stop great are completely silent and really are very low dusting.
The stock pads are completely nasty, so they had to go.
BTW - I used Hawk-HPS and Carbotech Bobcat on my WRX and found them to perform poorly and still dust too much.
Therefore I looked for something better for the V.

I'll keep you posted on the SS-M as I drive on them more this week.

austin
12-10-06, 08:20 AM
>R: SM 958 (14mm or 17.8mm thickness)

Thanks... Let me know how you mde out with the rear thickness, why are there two to choose from?

TNT V
12-10-06, 10:45 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,i'm pushing 40,000 on my V and theres enough meat on the brakes to not even consider changing the pads.

Just changed mine out at 58,000. Fronts were almost gone and rears still had 1/3 wear left on them. I went with Hawk HPS and is it ever nice to no longer have the pesty brake dust!

lunarx
12-19-06, 09:51 PM
>R: SM 958 (14mm or 17.8mm thickness)

Thanks... Let me know how you mde out with the rear thickness, why are there two to choose from?
Well after driving on the Endless SS-M front pads I just ordered the rears.
These pads are really nice.
It's the first time I had pads that met all of my expectations for a street pad.
Extremely Quiet, Super Low Dust and good stopping power.

They are super expensive though.
Believe me, I paid dearly for them.
You don't want to ask how much.
However, I am hooked on the quality now.
Best bet is buying straight from Endless USA (http://endlessusa.com/), Kent.

Check out these pics comparing dust levels after 4 days of driving.
Fronts are Endless SS-M
Rears are Stock Brembo

Big difference, considering Fronts usually dust way more than rears.
You can barely even see where I swiped my finger across the front wheel.
It's really clear on the back wheel though.