: STUMBLE 1996 Fleetwood...I know what it is not!!

RobDeville
12-07-06, 11:00 PM
Hello,

You may know me from my recent post about my recent purchase of a 1996 fleetwood. Anyways, after reading through the records the seller provide me again I found some good news. On 6/15/05 (at the 101,000mile mark) they had the car serviced at the local Cadillac Dealership. They had the water pump, distributor drive shaft seal, waterpump drive seal, sparkplugs, wires, opti spark cap kit, thermostat housing, air filter, pcv valve and they cleaned the throttle plates. Also checked the A/C for leaks and recharged it.

I am now sitting at 120,000 miles. It seems to stumble a bit on WOT. I see in one sheet where the fuel filter was suggested but declined. I am hoping that is all it is. Does this seem like a reasonable assumption? Anyone else experience this. You would never notice it just crusing along or idling but if you get on it you definately can tell it bogs down.

Where do you all think I should start looking at first? Thanks again guys!!

More recently yet they had the wheel bearings, center link stabilizer link, and idler arm done.

codewize
12-08-06, 12:28 AM
The fuel filter is a great thing to look at. That will definitely cause fuel starvation at WOT.

RobDeville
12-08-06, 10:21 AM
Another question, How important do you all think it is to go with gm parts when it comes to the fuel filter. I almost always go with gm but if I do that I will go with RockAuto.com and I will have to wait for it to be shipped. Is it worth it?

codewize
12-08-06, 10:47 AM
I don't worry about GM filters. All my filters are WIX. Hardware I use GM where I can but not for a filter.

Another question, How important do you all think it is to go with gm parts when it comes to the fuel filter. I almost always go with gm but if I do that I will go with RockAuto.com and I will have to wait for it to be shipped. Is it worth it?

BCs71
12-08-06, 01:46 PM
If not fuel related then I would next look into the coil going bad possibly since it's the last ignition component not touched.

RobDeville
12-09-06, 07:30 AM
Well I called the dealer to get a price on the filter. It ended up only being 3 dollars more than what rockauto.com had it for. And that is before the shipping charges. So it ended up being cheaper at the dealer. $24. which was only a few bucks more than what autozone and napa had.

Anyways, it seemed to clear that lag right up. Picks up much better. Thanks to all that replied. :xlol:

codewize
12-09-06, 08:16 PM
What did you replace the filter or the coil?

RobDeville
12-10-06, 06:39 AM
Yeah I re-read my post and realized I did not specify at all. I edited it. Anyways, I replaced the filter. It helped a lot. WOT is much better. However, I wonder when/if the coil has ever been changed? I am sitting at 120,000 miles and it did not get done at its 100,000 mile tune up. I am considering grabbing one of MSD's coil. Anyone ever use and does it make any difference? My setup will be mostly stock with some bolt ons.

codewize
12-10-06, 11:46 AM
Well IMHO MSD makes the best aftermarket and performance ignition. Having said that I don't know a whole lot about the LT1 but I would say a standard L05 350 could only gain from that as long as the wires are of high quality.

If you don't think the coil is breaking down under lad or heat then it's probably a waste of money, unless you just want to upgrade.

Now having said that, that's my opinion and I tend to be proven wrong quite frequently around here :)

BCs71
12-11-06, 01:46 PM
A lot of LT1 owners have had issues with MSD and other aftermarket coils. In fact, the 1996 stock GM coil is considered one of the best units for these cars even in most performance applications.
Owners of 1994-5 LT1 cars will get the 1996 coil for their car. There was a slight revision in 1996 to make it better (also has a slightly diff harness connector so is not a direct swap for 1994-5 owners, FYI).

zugy
12-21-06, 11:35 PM
Did you have the timing checked. It will run but not well if the timing isn't set with the single lead grounded to the battery. Location right passenger side intake carb area. 20 degrees off if not done right I think.

Have you run some Techron fuel injection cleaner yet? Costco gas will ruin injection.

Good luck.

caddycruiser
12-22-06, 11:51 AM
A lot of LT1 owners have had issues with MSD and other aftermarket coils. In fact, the 1996 stock GM coil is considered one of the best units for these cars even in most performance applications.
Owners of 1994-5 LT1 cars will get the 1996 coil for their car. There was a slight revision in 1996 to make it better (also has a slightly diff harness connector so is not a direct swap for 1994-5 owners, FYI).

^^I second that. MSD makes some terrific stuff, but in a lot of cases, just using an MSD bit here and there also seems to cause issues and can "fry" some other parts. Case in point, a few years ago my father bought a '69 Chevelle that someone had done some minor work on, throwing in a MSD part here and there in the ignition, causing other components to get fried and/or just not work properly. Once back close to stock level all throughout, there were no more issues.

That said, good info about the '96 coil. My '95 is still doing largely fine, but I'm approaching 125k right now and still not sure if much of anything was done in terms of a more thorough maintenance around 100k (no records). My entire fuel system in the rear is new, so that's no issue, but it may be time for a few other small things just to be safe.

N0DIH
12-23-06, 12:37 PM
LT1's can't set the timing. You can only do a PCM tune on it to change, all settings are fixed and controlled by the PCM.

As always, avoid the cheapest gas stations. There is 3 grades of fuel at the depot, and those stations always get the cheapest, from the top of the tank. The big names get the better grades of fuel. I always choose a top tier fuel given a choice (unfortunately by me I don't get a choice most of the time) http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html, spend some time reading up there, good info.

I always buy fuel at a limited number of stations, mainly 90% of it from one local station (no ethanol!!) and then only when I am away and can't get it there, I get it at a top tier station. Avoid cheap. Costco and Sams are notorious for crappy gas.

I have only got 1 tank of bad gas in my Cadillac and that was when I filled it up and my Suburban at a Citgo (avoid Citgo!!!!) and my car ran poor almost immediately after and my wife got blown away by a Dodge Neon up a hill and he wasn't trying and she was! That gas was BAD. Shop only at stations you know and have high confidence in what you are getting.

Did you have the timing checked. It will run but not well if the timing isn't set with the single lead grounded to the battery. Location right passenger side intake carb area. 20 degrees off if not done right I think.

Have you run some Techron fuel injection cleaner yet? Costco gas will ruin injection.

Good luck.

Rick186
12-23-06, 10:04 PM
So if you can't find a station listed - within reasonable distance - to full up, which additives do you suggest to toss into the tank to keep things cleaned up?
I know a lot of them are simply "mouse milk" as called in the trade, and really do not do very much.
For example, around here, Texaco is about 3 miles away in dense traffic. The Shell station is to be avoided due to the absolutely dastardly crooked actions of the owner (shut down by the state DMV many times) so I wouldn't go there, anyway, and the other brands listed are nowhere around here.