: It wasn't burning oil after all...

Seattle CTS-V
12-07-06, 06:44 PM
So, during lunch I went out and started up the car after this morning's episode with black smoke coming out of my hood. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/92251-burning-oil.html

She started up fine and a visual inspection under the hood revealed nothing. I checked the oil level and this time it was reading low so I drove to a nearby oil and lube place. I described the events listed here and the guy wanted a look under the hood. He verified low oil and then noticed a rubber-encased fuse that literally had a hole melted right through it. It is the fuse on the hot wire supplying power to my Magnavolt!!!! The thing was a smoldering mess. I'm betting it was on fire for a good 5-10seconds and that was the smoke I saw this morning. The oil levels probably have little to do with any of this.

Anyway, I fumbled with the melted fuse a bit and decided I'd just drive away and replace it later. Well, just messing with it must have caused a break in the power such that the car wouldn't start. I left the car at the shop and got a ride back to work. I called Magnuson and told them the story and they immediately took down my address and are sending me out a new Magnavolt and harness. Great support! He also told me to splice the grey and yellow wires together and that should bypass the Magnavolt so I could get home safely (under leisurely throttle inputs).

Ugh. Mods

austin
12-07-06, 06:55 PM
>He also told me to splice the grey and yellow wires together and that should bypass the Magnavolt so I could get home safely (under leisurely throttle inputs).

Glad you got that worked out..... And that's a good tip for the maggie owners. :)