: Clutch TSB question

Zeppelin
12-07-06, 04:54 PM
Was out in the '04 last Saturday. Wound it up in 1st, and when I shifted into 2nd, the clutch peddle stayed on the floor. Did that twice. Took it into the dealer yesterday with the 05-07-31-001 TSB. Got a call today that the TSB only pertains to '05 CTS-Vs. I asked them to check with Cadillac since the TSB specified a pressure plate build date, and called for replacing it if the date was before a certain date. Can anyone steer me into any additional information regarding whether the TSB also pertains to the '04s?

Thanks

The Tony Show
12-07-06, 04:58 PM
"Built before xxx build date" pretty much sums it up.

Even if the bulletin doesn't specifically apply, it's a safety issue and the bulletin should make the diagnosis pretty easy for the dealer. Pedal staying on the floor = weak clutch return springs.

Zeppelin
12-07-06, 05:06 PM
Its really not weak clutch return springs, if you read the TSB. It seems like more of a pressure plate design flaw in a specific circumstance, and ONLY occurs occasionally at ABOVE 6,000 rpms. The cause stated in the TSB seems to relate to the inertia at high rpm causing a condition of zero or less than zero force from the pressure plate to the clutch.

Just wondering if anyone has specifically had to deal with the issue of the TSB being accepted for an '04 car.

Thanks

The Tony Show
12-08-06, 08:34 AM
I just read it again: "Cause: Centrifugal loads on the clutch diaphragm spring greater than the clutch return load from the diaphragm spring". The stronger diaphragm spring on new style pressure plate eliminates this.

Talk to any drag racer from the old school and they'll tell you about GM clutches sticking to the floor at redline.

ewill3rd
12-08-06, 12:49 PM
We just did one on an 04 for a customer from New Jersey who got denied by two local dealers.
Whether the bulletin applies or not, it should be done. It's not supposed to do that. You might be in for a fight if you push for the TSB repair, but if you just tell them it's broken and you want it fixed, they might help you.

CTS-V420
12-08-06, 01:23 PM
I brought mine into the dealer, the dealer said it would take them 2 weeks to get the part in?!!!! thats BS

Holmes815
12-08-06, 01:47 PM
I brought mine into the dealer, the dealer said it would take them 2 weeks to get the part in?!!!! thats BS

I hear a lot of people are asking for V clutches for X-mas!!!!

--James

svassh
12-08-06, 02:10 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the stealerships get paid by GM for the warranty work they perform? Thats always the way I thought it worked and explains why I have NEVER had an issue with a dealership for a non Cadillac vehicle I've owned give me any grief about TSB or other warranty repairs. The dealerships were always happy to oblige whether I bought the car from them or not. Why do Cadillac dealers feel the need to question every little request we make even when there is a documented TSB supporting it? It frustrates the CRAP outta me I can't even get my Service Mgr to look at some of the stuff I want reviewed.

kgoch
12-08-06, 03:05 PM
I got rid of the stock flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate an put the Z06 set up in. The car drives and shifts 1000% better.

Zeppelin
12-08-06, 03:17 PM
Service Manager talked to Cadillac and got the clutch replacement authorized. Kudos to Germain Cadillac and Milt, the Service Manager. :thumbsup:

CTSVLS6
12-08-06, 03:28 PM
Try removing the spring that is hooked on the pedel. You will have to remove the upper cover right above your feet to get to it. It hooks to the pedel and the frame. What it does is make the pedel go down easier, but it also can cause it to stay down under hard excelleration. I removed mine long time ago and it hasen't stayed down since. This should help unless your pressure plate is shot.

LV_V
12-08-06, 06:09 PM
I got rid of the stock flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate an put the Z06 set up in. The car drives and shifts 1000% better.

The LS6 Z06, I assume?

calicadi
12-08-06, 09:42 PM

Got some part numbers, please? Also, do you know if that's a lighter setup than stock? If I ever need to replace mine, I might want to go that route. That might be a cheaper alternative to aftermarket brands.

calicadi
12-08-06, 09:47 PM
Was out in the '04 last Saturday. Wound it up in 1st, and when I shifted into 2nd, the clutch peddle stayed on the floor. Did that twice. Took it into the dealer yesterday with the 05-07-31-001 TSB. Got a call today that the TSB only pertains to '05 CTS-Vs. I asked them to check with Cadillac since the TSB specified a pressure plate build date, and called for replacing it if the date was before a certain date. Can anyone steer me into any additional information regarding whether the TSB also pertains to the '04s?

Thanks

It pertains to '04's all right. Dealer replaced mine. The fun part was showing them the fault. They didn't want to spool it up to the redline and asked me to come in. Scared the crap out him!