: Quit Complaining!!!!!

caddy_enthusiast42
03-06-04, 01:32 AM
Recently, the american automotive industry has made great attampts to create cars on par with high quality imports. (especially Cadillac) I am disgusted that all i've heard from peolpes reactions is complaining. I am overwhelmingly happy that north american automakers are making a comeback. They are trying to improve. This case is exceedingly true with the 2005 STS. All i hear is complaints. Aside from the XLR its the best looking new cadillacs, so why is it that everybody says it isn't as nice as 'lexus,' when they aren't even in showrooms yet???? Where has the support of the American automotive revelution gone??

Playdrv4me
03-06-04, 03:52 AM
Where has the support of the American automotive revelution gone??

Ill leave that one alone... but I will say this. Much of the disappointment with the new STS comes from the sheer fact that for the most part, the car is no more than the simple stretching and reshaping of an extremely similar, extremely SUCCESSFUL, but pre-existing vehicle, the Cadillac CTS and its associated SIGMA "architecture" (MFRs dont like the word platform anymore). To me this was somewhat acceptable for the SRX and CTS, but more specifically BECAUSE of some of the high expectations that Cadillac has given us (Evoq, Sixteen, XLR) many of us hoped for a more dramatic and import murdering design and engineering structure for the STS. Also it doesnt help that the STS from 93-2003 set a benchmark so high, and was so successful in its own right, that it is in all honesty nearly impossible for the new STS to make a bang right from the start. I by no means have given up the ghost on the new STS, but I will DEFINITELY need to SEE IT and drive it before I come away impressed, unlike the previous generations, which were just drop dead gorgeous from the first moment I saw them on paper.

I will reiterate my previous statement that the new STS just needs time to make its mark, and hopefully itll be a positive one, and hell, weve got a possible 500+ HP STS-V to look forward to... if thats not a revolution, I dont know what is!

In addition, I always say one very important thing... I am a CAR enthusiast, NOT an ORIGIN OF MANUFACTURE enthusiast! I UTTERLY HATE some of the nastyness that is eminating from the halls of BMW design right now, the STS is LUCKY I dont despise it in the way I do some of the new Bangled bimmers. With international influence the way it is these days (Pontiacs being australian, Fords being european, and Mercedes, Toyota and BMW products being built on our shores everyday [and thus still contributing to our economy if you really want to take the argument so far]) you really cant wholly direct a "revolution" to any one country, but rather more a style or design influence, and Cadillac is on the right track, they just need to infuse a bit more differentiation between their creations.

Ralph
03-06-04, 03:58 AM
Recently, the american automotive industry has made great attampts to create cars on par with high quality imports. (especially Cadillac) I am disgusted that all i've heard from peolpes reactions is complaining. I am overwhelmingly happy that north american automakers are making a comeback. They are trying to improve. This case is exceedingly true with the 2005 STS. All i hear is complaints. Aside from the XLR its the best looking new cadillacs, so why is it that everybody says it isn't as nice as 'lexus,' when they aren't even in showrooms yet???? Where has the support of the American automotive revelution gone??

No one in my family thinks a Japanese or German car is better than a well built AMERICAN CAR, and we buy them to support this notion! We had a very in-depth discussion about the quality of American cars in my thread "A Quality Vehicle..." and came to the overwhelming conclusion that perceived quality is NOT actual quality! This gets even more complex as we discussed depreciation of Cadillacs and a belief that perhaps only the overabundance of them, used, on dealer lots is the reason for steep depreciation. One should NOT confuse depreciation with quality! There are too many other factors at play. I would buy an XLR in a heartbeat!

If people are complaining, I've only heard some mention repairs they've done, or have to do, but in general, I think they still like their cars, or they would not have bought them? Older cars WILL need repairs, and that is true of any make. IMO.