: NEW exhaust idea...

STS
03-06-04, 12:23 AM
replacing complete straight piece front to rear, taking out from cat (removing cat as well) to Y with a straight piece of 3", longest 3" bullet muffler i can find, and a cut out, with the cutout installed right before the Y. keeping stock mufflers/tips in place.

so the stock 2.5" :

pipe / cat / pipe / resonator / pipe / Y

-----[___]-------++++++----------<

will become 3" :

pipe / ' ' ' ' ' / bullet muffler / cutout / Y

-------------===========----\----<

opinions?

fristim
03-06-04, 01:56 AM
LOL, yea its illegal!!

STS
03-06-04, 08:59 AM
LOL, yea its illegal!!

so.

Vesicant
03-06-04, 10:03 AM
Actually, cant you remove the Cat on some cars...

I thought i heard it was legal in some states, dont know about florida but it was possible in Minnesota i believe.

(Im Probably Wrong)

STS
03-06-04, 10:10 AM
not that it's legal, just that emmisions testing is no longer required in this state.

and................. opinions on my idea please.

156MPH
03-06-04, 10:46 AM
Yea.add A Exhaust Cutout Too!

capn
03-06-04, 06:42 PM
dont change the rest of the exhaust at all just get a cutout and modify the connection between the cat and the downpipe to fit the cut out

STS
03-07-04, 05:59 PM
Yea.add A Exhaust Cutout Too!

yea so you should actually read what i posted. a cutout was one of the major parts of the exhaust idea :hide:

dont change the rest of the exhaust at all just get a cutout and modify the connection between the cat and the downpipe to fit the cut out

o.k. so then it'd be like running with only exhaust manifolds... no thanks. :helpless:

I'm going to end up doing this. but will probably change the mufflers to some polished ones anyway, just for appearance. i'll let ya'll know how it goes, if and when it happens.

capn
03-07-04, 06:12 PM
i ran straight headers, thing was a loud ass beast

STS
03-08-04, 08:09 PM
i ran straight headers, thing was a loud ass beast

right, so i'm trying to avoid that.

capn
03-08-04, 09:32 PM
right, so i'm trying to avoid that.
i sure wasnt:D

BUILDINGCTSAMG
03-08-04, 10:38 PM
I think it will be louad as hell without the cat.....im not sure but i do think the cat and the restrictor are incorporated

BUILDINGCTSAMG
03-08-04, 10:38 PM
Oh also youll get check engine lights without a cat (i looked into doing it in my cts)

STS
03-08-04, 10:41 PM
Oh also youll get check engine lights without a cat (i looked into doing it in my cts)

OBD I buddy....

also, you can put O2 simms in your CTS and not worry about an SES light, but warranty work would get ya.

Bigshot
03-12-04, 10:16 AM
$10,000 fine if they catch you....federal offense, not state. Hollow it out, don't remove it.

156MPH
03-12-04, 10:22 AM
Gut The Cat! Gut The Cat!f___ The Cops!!:)

STS
03-14-04, 07:22 PM
$10,000 fine if they catch you....federal offense, not state. Hollow it out, don't remove it.

LMAO, i bought the car used. how am i supposed to know what the previous owner did to it...

Aurora By Olds
03-14-04, 08:09 PM
$10,000 fine if they catch you....federal offense, not state. Hollow it out, don't remove it.Cats are stupid anyways, unless you have emissions testing, throw it away. If you're worried about drying from air pollution, start smoking.:annoyed:

As for the original exhaust idea, I think it would be about perfect. Great flow, yet muffled enough to sound pretty good...not TOO loud. The louder the better, obvously, though :p

Budabear
03-15-04, 12:15 PM
$10,000 fine if they catch you....federal offense, not state. Hollow it out, don't remove it. How do you hallow out the cats and what are the results?

Aurora By Olds
03-15-04, 04:58 PM
If all you do is hollow out the cat with no other mods to the exhaust (what I have now, just did it for fun while the exhaust was off) you dont get any more anything, except for a bit of resonation at the righ RPM's. Pointless unless you're going to do full exhaust. In that case, it would mean just a bit less restriction which = more flow. The cats on these cars aren't really all that restrictive anyway, but the way I look at it, there is still material in there that gets in the way. If you look at www.caddyinfo.com, they have some info about exhaust ideas and flow factors....

STS
03-15-04, 10:55 PM
i decided just to put a 2.5" cutout in after the resonator. :(