: Talisman...interesting thought...

bigbluebrougham
12-07-06, 03:00 PM
Anyone heard of these or even better, owned one? I was doing a search the other day and stumbled upon the Talisman. Correct me if I am wrong of course, but these were produced from 74-76 and had some very cool options. I think the '74 was a four seater only. Anyone with more info on these would help me out. I am just curious to know more info on these cars. Maybe a 95 FWB done up like a Talisman...hmmmm, interesting. :stirpot: I posted the only pics I could come up with and they are only of the interior.

bbb

JRau
12-07-06, 04:01 PM
I should have an original brochure from '75 or '76. I do distinctly remember a Talisman option package, but I was relatively young at the time and don't remember the details on that car. However, '74 -'76 would have been the correct bodystyle for this model.

JRau in central Iowa

codewize
12-07-06, 04:32 PM
Pretty cool. I don't have anything back that far. I only started collecting media in the early 90's.

brougham
12-07-06, 06:39 PM
There have been a couple posts about them here before. Do a search for it and see what you can find. Theyre on ebay sometimes too and sometimes they have pretty good pictures. I think the last one had an orange interior and it even showed what the inside of the arm rest looks like.

fleetwood76
12-07-06, 06:53 PM
Hello
Brougham is right , the subject has been up earlier. This is a link that covers the search.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=244877

and this is a link to a thread with a pic from the 76 sales brochure that i scanned at the time.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forums-lounge-member-introductions/60518-fabric.html?highlight=talisman

It was a very interesting option.
I had the chance to buy a talisman -76 here in Sweden only 250 kilometres from were i live, but it was in so bad shape ( rust )that i skipped the deal, i got to take the car on a test run tho, witch was fun.

Jolle

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-07-06, 08:13 PM
The Talisman was the top of the line Cadillac in 1974-76. It sat above the D'Elegance trim level on the Fleetwood line. The option alone cost $100 more than a brand new '74 Pinto! I believe the option was around $2100 back in 1974, on a car that cost around $8,000! They were the very best Cadillac had to offer, and I'd love to see one in person! Yes, you are right, 1974 was the only year they had the four seat design, 1975-76 were 5 seaters if I'm not mistaken..

codewize
12-07-06, 09:39 PM
This one allegedly belonged to Elvis

"Fleetwood Talisman. This sumptuous version of the Fleetwood Brougham is pure luxury. Individual front seats are trimmed in Medici, a stunning crushed velour available in Dark Blue or Black, above. Between each front seat is a console with an illuminated and lockable storage compartment. Outside, the car features a padded Elk Grain vinyl roof, turbine vaned wheel discs and identification on the roof panel."

bicentennialcadillac
12-07-06, 09:56 PM
Whoever mauled that FB should be hanged.

caddydaddy
12-07-06, 10:11 PM
They are cool cars, especially if you get one with the astroroof, EFI and TrakMaster ABS! That would be a rare one! :)
I do have a 1976 brochure, from when I had a '76 Fleetwood EFI.

codewize
12-08-06, 12:00 AM
I would love to see one of these up close in person.

Lord Cadillac
12-08-06, 12:21 AM
The Talisman is my Ultimate dream Cadillac.. I really wish I could own one.. Better yet, I'd love to see Cadillac make a genuine "big" car again - and call it the Fleetwood Talisman.. But it would have to be done right. That looks like THE MOST comfortable interior EVER made...

If I ever hit the lottery, I'll buy myself a Talisman first, and a Rolls Royce Phantom second.. I'd never sell the Talisman, however...

Phantom&RedGoat2004
12-08-06, 01:23 AM
I've only seen one, and it was a '76. Although I do want to say that it had the deal in between the rear seats but I could be wrong. I remeber it was the most plush super-beautiful Cadillac I'd layed eyes on. It belonged to a local former polotician or something. Dookie brown cord-royish interior was a suprise because I really expected leather. Someone really should do a '94-'96 Newstalgic Talisman. That would be really cool.

fleetwood76
12-08-06, 07:33 AM
Quote by Big king Sal

"Better yet, I'd love to see Cadillac make a genuine "big" car again - and call it the Fleetwood Talisman.. But it would have to be done right. That looks like THE MOST comfortable interior EVER made..."

:yeah:

N0DIH
12-08-06, 08:49 AM
I loved the 74-76 interiors. They we SOOOO nice. GM really forgot the "lessons learned" from then. The 77 Grand Prix I think is the most comfortable interior I have ever drove in. The Talisman looks even better.

Highway Star
12-08-06, 03:33 PM
The Canadian rockers The Guess Who had a song on their 1970 "American Woman" album called "Talisman". Imagine ridin' down the highway in a Caddy Talisman with that blasting on the 8-Track! :musical:

I recall seeing one in a salvage yard some years ago, didn't know how rare they were at the time.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-08-06, 10:59 PM
Steven King wrote a book entitled "Talisman".. Maybe it's a sequel to christine where the antagonist is not a '58 Plymouth Fury but a '74 Cadillac Fleetwood Talisman! :sneaky:

I'd love to see one or sit in one, or possibly even drive one! It's like a '70s version of the Eldorado Brougham!

Red_October_7000
12-09-06, 03:49 PM
I have information about one in a coffee table book about American cars. I will get it when I get home, right now I am in a hotel room. But I recall it is a 4-seat car with incredibly sumptuous interior and lots of stuff not found on other cars -rather like a Crown Imperial Director's Coupe (look that one up, it's neat) or the El Dorado Brougham from the fifties (the one with the suicide doors). I want to see more of the car, though. The equipment between the front seats intriguies me...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-09-06, 05:05 PM
The director's coupe is the one that had the table that folded out from one of the armrests in the rear. Made in '67...I have the '67 Imperial brochure...very cool!

Red_October_7000
12-09-06, 06:19 PM
Yes, that was it. 67 and a few in 68, I think, but I do not think it was advertised in 68 and few examples were produced.

Red_October_7000
12-11-06, 02:04 AM
OK, Here's my info, from the book "Detroit Cars" by Martin Derrick: "1974 Cadillac Fleetwood Talisman. Perhaps the most ostentatious of all Cadillacs in 1974, the Talisman boasted four massive armchairs trimmed with Medici crushed velor, a massive center containing a writing set in the front and a vanity set in the rear and -- for the truly wealthy -- an optional all-leather package that cost a cool $2,450 over and above the already steep $11,337 sticker price."

There is one photo of a car, thus equipped, from the outside. I knew I wanted one from the moment I read the description. I still want one.

brougham_geezer
12-11-06, 02:56 AM
Taken from: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/2582/cadillac/flt/talis.html

"Introduced in 1974, the Fleetwood Talisman was and still is the epitome of luxury. For the first edition, the Talisman sat four, and only four, in individual, shirred trim seats inspired by fine European furniture. The interior was upholstered in Medici, Cadillacs crushed velour, and was available in one of four colors. Both front seats recline and they also contained seat back pockets. Between the seats were Medici trimmed consoles. The front contained provisions for an illuminated writing pad with pen and pencil, along with a lockable storage compartment. In the rear is a holder for vanity mirrors and so forth, with the lockable storage bin. Other niceties were deep pile carpet and mats, foot rests and assist straps. Exterior features were a padded Elk grain vinyl roof, special wheel discs, a stand up wreath and crest ornament on the hood, and "Fleetwood Talisman" script on the sail panel.

Pricing for the Talisman option was $1,800 above the base price of $9,537 in 1974. Even more luxurious was the leather trim Talisman package available only for 1974 at $2,450, $100 less than the cost of a brand new four cylinder Ford Pinto!

The Talisman would be made available for 1975 and 1976, but it would be revised to now seat five instead of four. Pricing for 1975 was $1,788 above the base price of $10,414, and $1,813 above the $10,935 base price in 1976.

Production for this option package was as follows:

1974: 1898
1975: 1238
1976: 1200"
The webmaster adds: "I personally have had the pleasure of driving a 1974 Talisman, and I would like to say that there is nothing out there that can compare to the comfort and excess that this car offered its owner. This car demands a premium on todays used car market, and I personally feel that it deserves it. The Talisman is truly the Cadillac of Cadillac's! "

I've never seen one in person, but it would be the Cadillac I want the most. I've got a major crush on them.

bigbluebrougham
12-11-06, 11:13 AM
Someone really should do a '94-'96 Newstalgic Talisman. That would be really cool.

I would like to try to come up with something like that. The center console would be the toughest part, running from the front of the car to the back. I have never done any fiberglass before. That being said, it looks pretty tough for me to come up with...but it would be very interesting. I want a Talisman! BAD! :bonkers:

bbb

bigbluebrougham
12-11-06, 03:09 PM
BTW, thank you all for your generous information on this car. I am just trying to fill my mind with car stuff as my wife calls it. Thanks! :)

Lord Cadillac
12-12-06, 06:49 PM
I want to turn my ESV into an Escalade Talisman. :p

bicentennialcadillac
12-16-06, 12:04 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-Fleetwood-1976-Cadillac-Fleetwood-4Dr-Sedan-Talisman-58-000-Miles_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6149QQihZ002QQite mZ120064426959QQrdZ1#ebayphotohosting

Gorgeous.

bigbluebrougham
12-16-06, 01:58 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-Fleetwood-1976-Cadillac-Fleetwood-4Dr-Sedan-Talisman-58-000-Miles_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6149QQihZ002QQite mZ120064426959QQrdZ1#ebayphotohosting

Gorgeous.

I couldn't agree more. :yup: Now, if I only had the money......

bicentennialcadillac
12-16-06, 02:06 PM
The reserve is in the neighborhood of $3,800 US. Someone here should nab her ...

N0DIH
12-16-06, 06:46 PM
Man I wish I could! That would be sharp. Is it an EFI car? Modernize the EFI from a 454 Vortec PCM with modern injectors, toss in a 4L80E and a set of 3.73's, a larger cam, and a decent exhaust and go really enjoy it! Keep it all looking stock too...

My kids looked at that interior and want me to get it, they want to ride in fluff luxury!

Phantom&RedGoat2004
12-19-06, 09:22 PM
THAT CAR IS TOO GORGEOUS!!! See if the seller will take a right arm, and I'm in. :)

Bowser
01-24-07, 05:18 PM
ohyeaa ! a friend had a 75 fwb and a 76 talisman (sold em in 92 and got a MIATA:bonkers: ) the Brougham was elegant and rode like a barge... but not as quiet as todays lux cars ... between the leather and all the glass and sheer interior size the sound bounced around just a little ... and was higher than i expected ...
but the TALISMAN really was OPULENT.... just short of gaudy... like being inside a velvet jewel box or, as his wife suggested, maybe more like an overdone casket ... virtually unrestrained soft luxury ... the pics seem understated because in person it is wayyy over the top ... the softest pillowy seating i ve ever experienced in or out of a car ... and all that plush crushed velvet and fur-like carpet soaked up the sound so that front to rear conversation had a hush to it even with a strong voice ...
maybe the TALISMAN is an icon at the end of an era or maybe it was an anachronism in its own time ... either way its a WOWW !

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-24-07, 08:58 PM
or, as his wife suggested, maybe more like an overdone casket

Best description I've ever heard of a Talisman! When I die, bury me in a Talisman! :cool2:

Lord Cadillac
01-24-07, 09:35 PM
If I ever strike it rich, I'm going to have a Talisman built for me on a current vehicle platform. :)

eldorado99
01-25-07, 02:18 AM
This one is mighty tempting, only about half an hour from me, and apparently in decent shape. http://www.usedvancouver.com/classified-ad/2001997&category=passenger-cars

I like the '74 Talisman the best because of the 4 seater layout. Something about a car that big being used as impractically as possible is very appealing. Same reason I like Coupes the best... A 2 door Talisman, thats what we need!

Lord Cadillac
01-25-07, 04:05 AM
This one is mighty tempting, only about half an hour from me, and apparently in decent shape. http://www.usedvancouver.com/classified-ad/2001997&category=passenger-cars

I like the '74 Talisman the best because of the 4 seater layout. Something about a car that big being used as impractically as possible is very appealing. Same reason I like Coupes the best... A 2 door Talisman, thats what we need!
$1000.00?!?!?! If that were near me I'd buy that Talisman in a freakin' second!

Highway Star
01-25-07, 11:44 AM
"Only thing wrong is a few tears on top."

I think that vinyl top is beyond a "few tears." Still, the car looks like a good investment as far as the pics go.

eldorado99
01-26-07, 05:41 PM
Well I'm gonna go take a look at that Talisman this Sunday. I'll take plenty of pics don't you worry! I'm having a hard time justifying actually considering this car though, considering I already have a '70 land-yacht, and a daily driver that is on its last legs... but maybe, just maybe, if I can get it for 500 bucks I'll be too tempted to say no. It's been for sale for a while, and the owner considered it sold until last Saturday when his previous buyer fell through. It sounds like he wants to get rid of it.

eldorado99
01-28-07, 06:56 PM
Looked at the Talisman today, the cancer definately has a good start on this car. The rust is fixable, but the amount of work would be pretty steep. Aside from the rust the paint is shot. The interior is very nice, in fact I'd kind of like to take the seats from it and put them in my car... :hmm: It has 142K miles. The tires are still good, and the underbody looks in reasonable shape. Apparently it will run if you stick a battery in. I didn't make an offer because this is either a pretty ambitious project car, or a parts car.271272712827129271302713127132271332713427135

Highway Star
01-29-07, 12:06 AM
Is that Neil Young's "Rust Never Sleeps" playing on the 8-Track? :coffee:

Yeah, that would be a major undertaking to get that baby up to speed.

eldorado99
01-29-07, 12:57 AM
Is that Neil Young's "Rust Never Sleeps" playing on the 8-Track? :coffee:

Yeah, that would be a major undertaking to get that baby up to speed.

Haha, no actually it was CCR, but that would certainly have been fitting!