: How is your 1-2 shift?

commander112
12-07-06, 01:50 PM
Mine is a bit notchy. Even when babied in I feel gears moving to line up and a bit of hesitation on the part of the gearbox to allow the shift. Also, sometimes the gearbox does not allow me to throw it into first without placing it into another gear before hand. I have experienced this before on other cars but was wondering if this is normal for a V. I am coming from a blown Miata which pretty much shifted like butter.

Mark

nikon
12-07-06, 02:14 PM
thats pretty much normal, instead of shifting into another gear you can also try putting it in neutral, letting the clutch out, and then going into first...as for 1-2 mines very smooth, and I've got a short shifter in as well..at the same token the only time my car sees 2nd is in a parking lot or wide open...other than that is always 1-3-5-6...2nd is useless when you've got torque.

svassh
12-07-06, 02:57 PM
Sounds like a CAGS problem. Even with my CAGS eliminator I can still feel the solenoid trying to force me to 4th gear a little bit.

nikon
12-07-06, 03:00 PM
Sounds like a CAGS problem. Even with my CAGS eliminator I can still feel the solenoid trying to force me to 4th gear a little bit.

funny, I dont feel that at all...you sure your not imagining it?? it can go in a little rough sometimes..but, hmm...try holding it to the left a little more.

austin
12-07-06, 03:01 PM
I can tell you that it is much better after the tranny warms up.. I'm thinking of switching it out for Mobile-1 synthetic.

Silver Dollar
12-07-06, 03:04 PM
[QUOTE=austin;893029]I can tell you that it is much better after the tranny warms up.. ..../QUOTE]

Ya know, that's what WW says too.......

svassh
12-07-06, 03:19 PM
funny, I dont feel that at all...you sure your not imagining it?? it can go in a little rough sometimes..but, hmm...try holding it to the left a little more.

Nope, only happens under normal CAGS operating parameters. Doesn't happen all the time, lead foot.

nikon
12-07-06, 03:21 PM
Nope, only happens under normal CAGS operating parameters. Doesn't happen all the time, lead foot.

thats wierd...and I must say I forgot to mention I switched out trans fluid for royal purp synchro max, and find even just going into 1st from a dead stop is easier..I dont have to double clutch it in neutral (as much)...

commander112
12-07-06, 05:26 PM
Alright, so this is somewhat normal? Or is it not? We seem to have some difference of opinion. Maybe I should have started a poll.
What I am referring to is not CAGS related. I'm referring to is the mechanics of the shifting process. My old BMW 530i used to shift the same way, a bit notchy going from 1st to 2nd. In that vehicle, I switched to synthetic and found some small improvement as I recall.

Mark

dqw1
12-07-06, 06:10 PM
thats wierd...and I must say I forgot to mention I switched out trans fluid for royal purp synchro max, and find even just going into 1st from a dead stop is easier..I dont have to double clutch it in neutral (as much)...
Sometimes mine trys to force me 1-4 still under low power but I can still get into 2nd. I have the resistor installed.

dqw1
12-07-06, 06:13 PM
Alright, so this is somewhat normal? Or is it not? We seem to have some difference of opinion. Maybe I should have started a poll.
What I am referring to is not CAGS related. I'm referring to is the mechanics of the shifting process. My old BMW 530i used to shift the same way, a bit notchy going from 1st to 2nd. In that vehicle, I switched to synthetic and found some small improvement as I recall.

Mark
I've never mistaken 2nd and 4th, not saying you did either but its pretty straight pattern. 5th and Reverse is close when you first drive the V.

Vendetta-V-
12-07-06, 07:45 PM
Or...how about after you've shifted into 2nd and start to pull out the clutch, I find it very hard to find the sweet spot and transition smoothly into the gear without causing a rough shift.

Anyone else find it a little tempermental?

nikon
12-07-06, 09:37 PM
Or...how about after you've shifted into 2nd and start to pull out the clutch, I find it very hard to find the sweet spot and transition smoothly into the gear without causing a rough shift.

Anyone else find it a little tempermental?

extremely, the gears are just too close...thats why I shift 1-3

JamesRocco
12-18-06, 07:14 PM
I have the same problems every so often.