: Oil change frequency question...

jnrandall
12-07-06, 08:06 AM
Do you let the Engine Oil Life Monitor guide your decision or do you count miles on the odometer?

I have about 1000 miles left on my "3000 mile" change rule and the monitor reads 57%. (I did reset the monitor to 100% immediately after the last change.) Since I just got the car in late Sept. 2006, that was my first oil change and this will be my second.

I will be driving from NYC to ATL to NYC between Christmas and New Years. Between the trip itself (750+ miles each direction) and driving around down there, I may total 2K miles. The 3000 miles would be exceeded but I am almost certain that the monitor won't -- Or will it?

Any suggestions? :confused:

atdeneve
12-07-06, 08:30 AM
Modern synthetic oil can run for 10,000 miles (probably more) without any problem. It is the filter that needs to be replaced and, of course, when replacing the filter, you might as well go ahead and change the oil, as well.

Anyway, changing the oil every 3,000 miles is on the more stringent side and if you go over, no biggie.

The monitor is, apparently, extremely accurate and should give you a very good indication of where you are, as far as required oil changes are concerned. Assuming you don't change your driving style too much, by the end of your trip you should be about ready to change your oil, as per the oil life monitor (57% @ 2,000 miles --> 14% @ 4,000 miles; though probably more, since 1,500 of those 2,000 miles will be continued highway driving).

I would guess that most people use the oil life monitor to have some idea of where they're at and change the oil at 5,000, regardless of the remaining percentage (earlier, of course, if dictated by the monitor).

In any case, you'll still be under, whether it's the 5,000 mark or the oil life monitor percentage that you choose to go by.

jnrandall
12-07-06, 09:11 AM
Thanks!
:thumbsup:

50 4Ever
12-07-06, 05:38 PM
Except for the first couple of oil changes I go by the oil life monitor. When my oil life gets down below 10% I start thinking about when I can get it changed. I keep a log at every fill up that includes the current oil life percentage. It seems to go down by 3% everytime I get a full tank of gas.

dqw1
12-07-06, 05:44 PM
I also wait until it reads 10 also. Or get it changed before a road trip.

ctsvflorida
12-07-06, 05:53 PM
So, everyone on here changes their oil about every 8-10k miles?

stkshkr
12-07-06, 05:55 PM
Nope, every 3K for me

CIWS
12-07-06, 05:56 PM
Approx every 5000 miles here, last time was 5800. Oil life was at about 34% then.

ctsvflorida
12-07-06, 06:04 PM
Why change synthetic oil every 3k miles? Just curious as I do mine about every 4k-8k miles but have the dealer do it every other one. I do that to have the records their as schedualed and do it myself in between most times. At the dealer, it appears that it is done every schedualed time but I do it more than that. I just can't go 70 something dollars for every oil change at 4-5k miles. They are robbery!

urbanski
12-07-06, 06:05 PM
Except for the first couple of oil changes I go by the oil life monitor. When my oil life gets down below 10% I start thinking about when I can get it changed. I keep a log at every fill up that includes the current oil life percentage. It seems to go down by 3% everytime I get a full tank of gas.

my first few i did strictly by odometer.
1k, then 3 k, then 3k later....then i got lazy and went by the monitor :p

CIWS
12-07-06, 06:41 PM
Why change synthetic oil every 3k miles?

Because that's what the owner likes to do ?

1QUICKV
12-07-06, 08:19 PM
i tell you guys, that we should go by the miles and rest the Nav at 50% other wise i believe the motor starts to lose hp....

stkshkr
12-07-06, 10:20 PM
I buy the oil and filter and the dealer changes it for $10.12

ctsvflorida
12-08-06, 07:55 AM
Because that's what the owner likes to do ?

If anyone wonders why people get attacked on here...well here's your answer! They ask for it and this is an idiotic answer or statement! DUHHHHHH!

You must be awfully bored to even write something like this! Get a life!