: Misc. Ramblings...GM execs, I hope you are listening

G--
12-06-06, 09:39 PM
Bit of a rant here:rant2: , so those of you wanting to bail out before reading, consider yourself warned.
My V loses all oil pressure last night (don't get me wrong here, I LOVE my V even with it's faults) so I call Roadside assistance to get the V trailered to the closet Caddy Dealer. 800 # lady answers, very friendly, calls the wrecker/flatbed service says it will be at my location within an hour, no problem. It's about 7:15pm, and I ask her to contact the Caddy dealer to be sure someone is there when I arrive, and can I get a loaner car, as I have to get home (and ideally to work tomorrow) and my wife is with 2 sick kids at the house, so what can you do? She puts me on hold, says someone will be at the dealer, but they are out of loaner cars. I will preface this by saying the 800 # rep was nice the entire time, but here is a summary of our conversation:
I say, "Well, you did contact the Caddy car dealer, correct?", she confirmed "yes", I then say "I'm pretty sure he's staring at about 300 cars on his lot, and I find it impossible to believe there's not a single car for me to have for the night", rep says "I'm sorry about that, but they said they open at 7am tomorrow morning, and I could get one then":banghead: I then say, "Can you tell me the difference b/t now and 7am in the morning? Are they expecting a mad rush of loaner cars to show up overnight, and appear before 7am?" rep says "you could obtain your own car through a rental company and seek reimbursement through the dealer later", I THEN say, "How would I get to a Rental Car company this time of night without a a car?" Clearly stumped, she then says "I'm not sure how I can help you". SO, I politely ask her to call the tow company and ensure they can at least take me home once the car is dropped off and I'll call the dealer myself. She understands and will be "glad to take care of this" and tells me "it was a good suggestion" :banghead: OK - so the Roadside customer svc reps are nice, but need to live in the real world, and think about the situations and answers they provide...maybe too much to ask...
What makes this story less of a rant is that I then called the dealer directly, the front desk woman answers the phone, and I explain my situation and that my car and I will be there in an hour or less...she (one of the last remaining employees at the dealer that night) proceeds to track down the night sales mgr, not take no for an answer, and tells me that she will have the keys to a demo car I can have, and she would be waiting for me when I arrive with keys in hand!:highfive: I show up at 8:10pm, dealership is closed, she is waiting with the keys, makes a copy of my license, sends me on my way and says the sales mgr is around and will sign off on the tow service, so I can go home. THE COMMON COURTESY OF ONE OF THE LOWEST RANKING EMPLOYEES AT THE DEALER MADE THE DIFFERENCE!!!
I will be writing a very nice letter for this very kind woman, who helped a customer when in need, even when the corporate folks chose not to waste their time on a valued customer.

One other note is that the flatbed driver, who also seems to be a decent guy, proceeds to say he likes my car, but can't believe that a car w/just 6400 miles on the odo would have this kind of problem. I believe his quote was something like "No wonder all these people that want high-end cars buy the Japanese ones, I don't ever pick up a Lexus or Acura unless it's wrecked"...we proceed to talk this over until I arrive at the dealer, I told him I see hundreds of Lexus and Acuras every week, but none of them are as fun to drive as the V...not sure I got through to him, but I tried...
Rant over...I feel a little better...

nxlr8
12-07-06, 05:25 AM
Same thing for my line of work... Retail Store Manager... it bewilders me how some people are unable to think outside the box to come up with a solution to "get it done"...:cookoo:

Now for the Devils advocate spin::lildevil:
Sometimes, you don't put yourself in the "other" person's shoes and simply state the obvious to get it over with... sounds like that's exactly what you delt with here... the phone rep even admitted it! Happens ALL the time... and no matter how hard people try, it won't ever go away... path of least resistance

DO make sure to COMPLIMENT the people who did you RIGHT... I'm sure they don't get praised much at work (nature of the beast)... and the bosses need their eye's opened to what their failed actions did to a good customer. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

moldowan
12-07-06, 06:33 AM
you know I sold my v 6 months or so ago and I still check the forum from time to time.
The thing is I too was sick of the little problems that could not get resolved, and the more time that goes and i see the (continuing) complaints on this board the more I actualy get angry about my past ownership!!! I mean I really want to drive an american car because I'm American! but I do not want quality issues plaguing the car .
that being said the benz forums have much fewer issues like this caddy forum does and I'm really happy with the new cls55,but there still is a part of me that wanted an american car that could be on par with a jap/euro car in the quality arena
-moldy

Feffman
12-07-06, 07:27 AM
G:

Sorry about the CTS-V issue. It will be resolved and believe me it's no different with the Japanese, German or other manufacturers.

Make sure you send the owner, or general manager a note about the "one employee" who saved your ass.

Feff

Feffman
12-07-06, 07:35 AM
I mean I really want to drive an american car because I'm American! but I do not want quality issues plaguing the car .
that being said the benz forums have much fewer issues like this caddy forum does and I'm really happy with the new cls55,but there still is a part of me that wanted an american car that could be on par with a jap/euro car in the quality arena
-moldy

The world is the same all over. The whole "America is not as good" is BS!. You'll bump into issues with the Benz too. One of my partners and his wife lemoned their Benz about three years ago. We stuck three (3) transmissions in my wife's Honda minivan and she was so tired of it she'll never own another Honda after owning five Hondas in a row. She now drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and loves it, her first American(??) car.

I drove an Audi A8 for years and it too had it's issues. Great car and not inexpensive to own. The timing belt chagne on the A8 cost more then the timing belt change on my Lotus Esprit!!! I owned Jags before that, and Saabs before that. The only place that gave me loaner cars was the Saab dealer. HHHMMM the lowest priced car (owned by GM none the less) gave me the loaner. Go figure!

Not trying to dish you Benz, but let's not overstate the obvious, all car manufacturers have their issues. Happy Motoring and Happy Holidays all!

Feff

CIWS
12-07-06, 07:48 AM
another black on black V, I'm telling you that's a curse :eek:

;)

The truth is any automobile can have issues at any time, even ones with "only" 6400 miles on it because parts fail and I don't care who builds the damn car. Yes on average the american cars have more instances than most of the asian cars, but that doesn't mean there isn't a toyota that's basically new out there that had a major problem that required a tow to the dealer. I owned a Mazda built car that shat it's engine at 10200 miles. That required a tow to the dealer and a complete engine replacement. That day it was raining like hell, had been for 3 days, and I get stranded out in the middle of the street with a dead car I have to push off the road in the driving rain, end up soaking wet and get a pull tow truck that takes my car to the dealership who doesn't have a loaner to give me and won't rent me a car because I didn't purchase an extended warranty, even though this car had 10K miles on it and was still under original warranty. So I have to pay for one initially and get reimbursed after the work is done on my car. Part of this game is service rendered by the manufactuer and / or dealership because even the best of cars have problems and you may end up being one of the unlucky ones, it happens.

Definately make sure you write a letter to the dealership explaining what happen and how that one lone female ended up keeping this less of an issue for them. If you want to be really thankful to her send her over some flowers with a thank you note on it.

svassh
12-07-06, 09:06 AM
G--, Definately take care of that front desk woman. I'd recommend an email to Mr. Customer Service himself, Carl Sewell. I'm sure they have many internal rewards and recognition she will be eligible for

It will let Mr. Sewell know his mantra of 'customer first' may not be working everywhere but it is at the lowest levels of his organization.

ctsvflorida
12-07-06, 10:44 AM
I am guessing that your oil pressure issue is only the gauge but to get into the warranty issues...let me explain!

Yes, indeed all manufacturers have issues and please feel free to go to their boards and you will here the same crapola! I may admit that we have slightly more issues but only because of a weak rear in a somewhat high H.P. car with independant suspension and some young reckless drivers that believe nothing will break because it is new. Well...check other younger drivers in other new cars and trust me, they will break any car time and time again! When I was younger, I would have broke this car plenty of times!

The good news is that I am one guy that has never had an issue and I race as much as possible with no problems with my rear or anything else for that matter...26.5K miles later!

P.S. My rear was replaced once but not for failing but for a slight whine which only occured at 42mph and my rep said that if you don't mind the car being tied up for a day, we'll put the '06 rear in and see if it's better! Well, it made no noise for a week or so and then at 42mph it does it again. I will say that any stick car will whine slightly at some speed!

The Tony Show
12-07-06, 10:59 AM
That's awesome that the receptionist was bustin' balls toget you a loaner. Too cool.

I'm with CIWS: Send her some flowers and make her day. She made yours the other night. :thumbsup:

rand49er
12-07-06, 12:02 PM
That's awesome that the receptionist was bustin' balls toget you a loaner. Too cool.

I'm with CIWS: Send her some flowers and make her day. She made yours the other night. :thumbsup::yeah:

And, I hope the kids are feeling better.

BadCad
12-07-06, 01:17 PM
CLS55 is double the price of a CTS-V... I'll take a CTS-V on performance to dollar ratio, especially given the ratings MB has been given lately for their overall reliability. Wait 'till you bring in the benz for repairs and maintenance.
All cars will have issues, no matter where they're built. Some are good and trouble free, some have issues.

Zeppelin
12-07-06, 06:22 PM
I just want to chime in here since I feel the same way about wanting to own an American car. My team member at work drives a BMV and is always razzing me about how often my V is in the shop. Here is my list so far:

4 rearends
4 NAV systems
Tires(got 8,500 miles out of them)
Front shocks
valve cover gaskets
stability control module
2 interior pieces fell off
and right now its in for:
Air pressure sensors
Coolant light
clutch pedal stuck on the floor at high rpm shifts

All with only 33,000 miles on the car. You can't tell me there isn't a quality control issue with this vehicle.

ctsvflorida
12-07-06, 06:31 PM
I just want to chime in here since I feel the same way about wanting to own an American car. My team member at work drives a BMV and is always razzing me about how often my V is in the shop. Here is my list so far:

4 rearends
4 NAV systems
Tires(got 8,500 miles out of them)
Front shocks
valve cover gaskets
stability control module
2 interior pieces fell off
and right now its in for:
Air pressure sensors
Coolant light

All with only 33,000 miles on the car. You can't tell me there isn't a quality control issue with this vehicle.

Indeed there is with yours but now I will list mine:

Do you see them? No? That's because there are none 26.5k miles. Every car is different. I had a BMW 750IL and it was a nightmare. The stories will go and sorry for your bad luck!

G--
12-07-06, 09:17 PM
:yeah:

And, I hope the kids are feeling better.

I'm with CIWS: Send her some flowers and make her day. She made yours the other night. :thumbsup:

CIWS/Tony O/rand49er - thanks for the thoughts, I agree with you guys. Here's the update: Got the car back tonight, drove it a little hard just to be sure nothing repeats itself on the way home. Everything seems in order, runs good, sounds good...replacing the oil pump was quite a task, and since they had to disconnect the battery, my g meter is reset now. Noted there was only a .42 (l) .46(r) on it now, so it seems the tech didn't flog it too bad on the test drive (Unless they purposely reset the g meter after beating on the pavement for a while) :cynic:
Back to the receptionist: Wife thought it would be a little weird to send or bring flowers (not sure I agree completely, but I'm sure the thought of giving another woman flowers when she's been home with 2 sick kidos MAY have had something to do with her thoughts:shhh:), and said that she also thought the receptionist may mistake it as someone hitting on her or something...I see the point since I'm at least 15 years her sr., so instead I wrote a nice full page letter addressed to the GM of the dealership. I gave it to the svc mgr, and he was going to hand deliver it to him (I saw him walking down the hall reading the letter on his way when I left). I also stopped by the receptionist's desk and thanked her again when I picked up the V. I told her my wife thought it would be strange to give her flowers, so I settled for a letter and an in person thank you.
Since I live in TX and my inspection sticker was due, I was told they could not do that at this time, since the battery reset something(?) and I'd have to drive it a few days before I could have it inspected. I was clearly confused by this point, so I let it go and was just glad to get my car back. It's amazing how much you miss driving the V after a couple of days...
I'll go back next week for the inspection, and see if my letter resulted in anything.

lusterblade
12-08-06, 07:25 PM
good to know that you did that..
btw, what loaner car did u get?

G--
12-08-06, 08:19 PM
good to know that you did that..
btw, what loaner car did u get?

'07 white diamond cts 3.6, it was a demo...very glad to have it to drive

moldowan
12-10-06, 09:34 PM
The world is the same all over. The whole "America is not as good" is BS!. You'll bump into issues with the Benz too. One of my partners and his wife lemoned their Benz about three years ago. We stuck three (3) transmissions in my wife's Honda minivan and she was so tired of it she'll never own another Honda after owning five Hondas in a row. She now drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and loves it, her first American(??) car.

I drove an Audi A8 for years and it too had it's issues. Great car and not inexpensive to own. The timing belt chagne on the A8 cost more then the timing belt change on my Lotus Esprit!!! I owned Jags before that, and Saabs before that. The only place that gave me loaner cars was the Saab dealer. HHHMMM the lowest priced car (owned by GM none the less) gave me the loaner. Go figure!

Not trying to dish you Benz, but let's not overstate the obvious, all car manufacturers have their issues. Happy Motoring and Happy Holidays all!

Feff

I understand your logic but.......... i have had lexus' many bmw's my family drove MB's for over 20 years and I have had more than a few GM built cars and looking back on all of them the GM cars were far more problematic in both small and big issues.
so for me i cannot agree with your statement and it will be (unfortunatly) a long long time before i ever buy a GM vehicle again. all of the dodge/chrys product faired pretty good so far for me actually, so i should amend my comment a regulate it to GM products-LOL

Zeppelin
12-11-06, 05:58 AM
An update on mine:

'check coolant level'= New Radiator
Clutch pedal staying on the floor=New clutch/pressure plate

CIWS
12-11-06, 07:32 AM
CIWS/Tony O/rand49er - thanks for the thoughts,

Glad you got you V back and everything seems OK with it again. The inspection battery thing could be (guessing here) that they want the PCM to run the car a few days to readjust emissions and such before an inspection is performed.

As far as flowers that depends on what type you send, roses would not have been correct, but basic arrangements or "friendship" types should have been fine. Most chicks love getting flowers, it brightens their day. However I don't have a pissed off wife to come home to who told me not to do it. ;)

JimmyH
02-17-07, 09:27 PM
I understand your logic but.......... i have had lexus' many bmw's my family drove MB's for over 20 years and I have had more than a few GM built cars and looking back on all of them the GM cars were far more problematic in both small and big issues.
so for me i cannot agree with your statement and it will be (unfortunatly) a long long time before i ever buy a GM vehicle again. all of the dodge/chrys product faired pretty good so far for me actually, so i should amend my comment a regulate it to GM products-LOL

From Consumer Reports:

"Consumer Reports’ annual auto reliability survey shows that new vehicles from Detroit’s Big Three automakers are now slightly more reliable, on average, than those from European makers. The survey also shows that vehicles from Ford, General Motors and Chrysler tend to hold up better than European makes as time passes."

I have heard horror stories and will never by a BMW or M-B (including Chrysler who seem to have inherited M-B problems lately).

valdeztke
02-17-07, 10:37 PM

Thats happened to many in a few cars....it tends to go away if you learn to not ride the clutch at 6500 RPM. :tisk: