: Just dropped $20K into my '06 EXT

rzundel
12-06-06, 08:50 PM
A couple months ago I went to the dealer to look for an '07 EXT. Of course, they just came out and I couldn't get my hands on one that day. They had a new "06 that was my color combination (black/cream) and they were willing to give me a screaming deal ($10K off sticker). My impatience got the best of me and I drove it home.

I couldn't let the new ride sit in stock format so I underwent an overhaul that put me out about $20K. Included in the list of goodies:

24" TIS 01 Wheels with Nitto 305/35/24 tires
Baer Big Brake kit including 14 inch rotors and nice big red calipers.
Custom exhaust with JBA headers, High flow cats, flowmaster muffler, quad tips
McGaughy's 2/3 lowering kit
Volant cold air intake
E&G Grill
Cobra remote alarm system
Tinted window and Chrome goodies.

The outcome looks great! Now I'm considering up upgrading to 26" wheels if I can find a buyer for my 24's? Yes, I'm an impulsive buyer! Great buy for an interested party? Let me know.

When it is all said and done, I will probably drive it for a while and end up trading it in for an "07. Just think of the money I would have saved if I could have waited a few months! Please just don't tell my wife!

Texxy
12-06-06, 08:52 PM
Thats slickkkkkkk

caddydaddy
12-06-06, 09:02 PM
Awesome truck! I can't believe you want to get rid of it already!

avcoolin
12-06-06, 09:05 PM
Nice ride! How long u think it'll be before you break down and get the 07? Hope wifey don't read the forums :D

403HP
12-06-06, 09:21 PM
Okayyou havremy attention. How much for the Rims and tires?

rzundel
12-06-06, 09:22 PM
Nice ride! How long u think it'll be before you break down and get the 07? Hope wifey don't read the forums :D

Going to the 26in wheel option will probably buy me time to see some improvement on the pricing and availabilty for the '07. Besides, I want time to allow any new bugs to be worked out on the new model.

BTW, the "wifey" thinks I'm just looking at my business email!

rzundel
12-06-06, 09:34 PM
Okayyou havremy attention. How much for the Rims and tires?

I paid $6K for the set (wheels/tires). They are only a couple months old. I would like to get somewhere north of $3900.

403HP
12-06-06, 09:50 PM
I paid $6K for the set (wheels/tires). They are only a couple months old. I would like to get somewhere north of $3900.

Maybe a bit rich for my blood.

403HP
12-06-06, 09:51 PM
Great looking truck by the way.

Synergetic
12-06-06, 10:35 PM
Wait!!

You really spent $20,000 on just those few upgrades?!!!!

rzundel
12-06-06, 11:03 PM
Wait!!

I know, sounds pretty insane. Doesn't it? I might be a little high in my calculations but not by much. I had a few other cosmetic things done to the EXT like having the paint professionally color sanded and custom floor mats made that I didn't add to the list. The custom built exhaust system alone cost me $4500!

I don't want to excuse myself for going a little over the top. I love cars and always use the best materials and best labor available. I pay for that!! I don't cut corners.

I bought the EXT simply to have a driver because I just purchased a new $110K (ouch!) Porsche C4s Cab and didn't want to put the miles on it going to/from work/airport. With only 1000 miles on the Porsche I am already looking at what's next! (and yes, my wife thinks I'm crazy) I call it living my passion! I work hard for it!

Synergetic
12-06-06, 11:48 PM
I know, sounds pretty insane. Doesn't it? I might be a little high in my calculations but not by much. I had a few other cosmetic things done to the EXT like having the paint professionally color sanded and custom floor mats made that I didn't add to the list. The custom built exhaust system alone cost me $4500!

I don't want to excuse myself for going a little over the top. I love cars and always use the best materials and best labor available. I pay for that!! I don't cut corners.

I bought the EXT simply to have a driver because I just purchased a new $110K (ouch!) Porsche C4s Cab and didn't want to put the miles on it going to/from work/airport. With only 1000 miles on the Porsche I am already looking at what's next! (and yes, my wife thinks I'm crazy) I call it living my passion! I work hard for it!

I know it would of costed me not even $10,000 for all that. If you are happy with the result, thats what counts. By the way, it looks great! :)

ItsAdam1
12-07-06, 12:36 AM
Wait!!

Damn that allot for just rims and Exhaust,:eek: but its is looking good tho... :thumbsup:

rzundel
12-07-06, 12:55 AM
Damn that allot for just rims and Exhaust,:eek: but its is looking good tho... :thumbsup:

I appreciate the comments but remember it's a lot more than rims and exhaust. Just installing the "big" brake kit was $5K. I know it is a lot of $. I went with Baer because Brembo's were $9K. Now, that's crazy!

jrs05caddyext
12-07-06, 01:08 AM
Looking good.

vietfob714
12-07-06, 02:21 AM
$4500 for exhaust... wow... we shouldnt complain about our $700-800 exhausts anymore...

hcvone
12-07-06, 07:50 AM
Nice looking truck, but you spent way more than you had to for the work you had done. :)

RichieRich
12-07-06, 10:38 AM
If you dropped 20G's you got hosed... Don't get me wrong, the truck is phat.. Totally tricked out lookin but.... 20G's?

gothicaleigh
12-07-06, 10:42 AM
Wait!!

:yeah:

Don't get me wrong, there's no questioning that it's a nice truck and tastefully done. But there's so much more you could have done for $20k...

outofdablue
12-07-06, 11:25 AM
$6,000 for 24" Tis's is a bit too much. For that much you could have got 26's or some nice forged 2 pc. 24's.

cadnathan
12-07-06, 12:46 PM
What kind of piping did you use for the exhaust? Is it made out of gold? Or did you mean $450 for the exhaust?

rzundel
12-07-06, 01:49 PM
What kind of piping did you use for the exhaust? Is it made out of gold? Or did you mean $450 for the exhaust?

Okay - here's the story why my exhaust cost me $4500. I started by putting on the Borla Cat back ($1500). I then took the EXT in to get lowered and the pipes hit on the rear differential. Bummer! Some people would live with that but I couldn't. I took it into Royal Muffler (awesome custom shop!) and explored my options. The right way was to have the pipes refabricated from the muffler back. (dual exhaust) Since I was having that work done I decided to have him upgrade to 2.50" aluminized tubing (from 2.25") and install JBA headers and high flow cats. I also had him fabricate custom dual chrome tips coming out both sides of the EXT. I baiscally had the entire exhaust rebuilt with the exception of the Borla muffler. (add $2700) After driving it for a couple weeks I was not happy with the loud droaning sound inside the cab. It was driving me nuts. I went back to Royal Muffler and asked Jimmy for his recommendation and he suggested removing the Borla muffler and going with the Flowmaster 80 series. He charged me ($300) to install it. When all done my cost was $4,500 for the exhaust. Yes, I threw away the $1500 Borla Cat Back in the end. Lesson learned. I wish I would have found Royal Muffler to start with. The exhaust is one of a kind and killer! It's all comes down to what you are willing to spend for the outcome you desire.

cadnathan
12-07-06, 02:01 PM
Well at least you got headers and bigger piping (and probably a high flow cat in there). I was assuming you paid $4500 for a cat back.

AWDTSi
12-07-06, 03:34 PM
Yeah 20k is alot, but the way he is talking with his Porsche and all, his 20k is about 7k-8k of ours ( which is what we woul dhave paid) so he isnt missing the extra 12g's.

Nasty Black Lac
12-07-06, 08:37 PM
porshe = "who gives a shit about a couple grand"

rzundel
12-07-06, 10:46 PM
porshe = "who gives a shit about a couple grand"

LOL!! Have you been talking to my wife? She has a PhD in "shopping"! She's actually mad at me that I have a new Porsche sitting in the garage while I drive the EXT everyday.

05 Cadillac Escalade
12-07-06, 11:08 PM
This is going to be cool. I am going to keep my eye on this thread just to see what is next. Haha! You are definitely going to throw some more money somewhere into this EXT, unless we get to see it all over again when you purchase the 07 EXT, which we all know will eventually happen. Haha! Great looking EXT. I am thoroughly impressed.

Thanks.

parexa
12-08-06, 12:46 AM
Very nice EXT. I think it would be a great idea if you took pics where Caddy and Porsche are together.

bass10after
12-08-06, 01:22 PM
man it sounds like you might be paying premium for everything because your money is no object kind of attitude. Id go into knowing that i could afford anything i wanted, but play the game a little just to see what kind of deal you can get- thats all part of the fun. But it sounds like your time is worth quite a bit more than mine so maybe getting in and out is your cheapest option : ) i like your rig though, minus the chrome gas cover.

Derf
12-08-06, 02:55 PM
What did you do with the original tires and wheels? Were they chrome?

fast66
12-08-06, 03:31 PM
I like everything except the chrome gas cover.

Im shocked you paid $20,000 for just basic upgrades though. For 20,000 you could have customized the whole interior and installed a bumpin sound system.

I dont know.......I like it though....but I would be pissed off if I was you.

rzundel
12-08-06, 06:03 PM
man it sounds like you might be paying premium for everything because your money is no object kind of attitude. Id go into knowing that i could afford anything i wanted, but play the game a little just to see what kind of deal you can get- thats all part of the fun. But it sounds like your time is worth quite a bit more than mine so maybe getting in and out is your cheapest option : ) i like your rig though, minus the chrome gas cover.

I don't want to come across like money is no object. Yes, I have been blessed financially but I work hard for it. I like to get a good deal like the rest. I have simply found that for the most part, you get what you pay for. I am not looking to save a few bucks to have someone cut corners. Everyone has a profit target they want to make and they are going to get it out of you somewhere. Yes, my time is worth something and honestly, I play with cars for the sport of it. Thanks for your comments!

rzundel
12-08-06, 06:07 PM
What did you do with the original tires and wheels? Were they chrome?

I traded the original set in for $400. Yes, they were chrome. I had no use for them because I put big brakes on and they would no longer fit.

rzundel
12-08-06, 06:25 PM
First I want to thank everyone for their comments. Part of the fun of having a nice ride is having a forum like this to share it with other enthusiasts.

I know $20K seems like a lot to spend. It is! I probably paid premium for some things but that was my choice. I either wanted premium parts or premium labor. It came down to that. When you break down what I got you have a better appreciation how fast $20K can be spent:

24 " Tires and Wheels - $6000
Custom exhaust, cats and headers - $4500
Baer Big Brakes - $3500
Lowering - $1000
Billet Grill - $1000
Cold Air Intake - $300
Chrome parts - $500
Front stabilizer - $250
Window tint - $300
Alarm system - $1250
Floor mats - $300
Paint color sanding - $400

403HP
12-08-06, 09:51 PM
First I want to thank everyone for their comments. Part of the fun of having a nice ride is having a forum like this to share it with other enthusiasts.

I know $20K seems like a lot to spend. It is! I probably paid premium for some things but that was my choice. I either wanted premium parts or premium labor. It came down to that. When you break down what I got you have a better appreciation how fast $20K can be spent:

24 " Tires and Wheels - $6000
Custom exhaust, cats and headers - $4500
Baer Big Brakes - $3500
Lowering - $1000
Billet Grill - $1000
Cold Air Intake - $300
Chrome parts - $500
Front stabilizer - $250
Window tint - $300
Alarm system - $1250
Floor mats - $300
Paint color sanding - $400

Cadillac escalade - Priceless

caddydaddy
12-08-06, 10:35 PM
Cadillac escalade - Priceless

I'm in shock over the $4,500 for exhaust system and headers! I hope it's at least stainless steel! But, like you said, you didn't mind paying a premium price for it.
It's a damn nice Caddy! Sell it to me when you upgrade! :alchi:

cadnathan
12-08-06, 10:48 PM
Alarm system - $1250

????

rzundel
12-08-06, 11:13 PM
Alarm system - $1250

????

It's a Cobra system with all the bells. Remote paging, remote start, shock sensors, ignition kill, etc.

rzundel
12-08-06, 11:16 PM
Anybody interested in the 24" tires/wheels for $3900? It's a good deal for someone if interested? Only 2000 miles on them.

Synergetic
12-09-06, 12:14 AM
Everybody relax about how much he spent.

Rzundel, I would throw them on eBay. List it with a high "Buy It Now" price and put a No Reserve price at $3,850. High Buy it Now price as in $5,500. And state that you paid $6,000 for them. Scan some receipts and put them on the ad as well. That will help sell them quickly. And also put "New" (Not brand new) in the title of the ebay ad, then re-state in the ad description that they are practically new with only 2,000 miles.

rzundel
12-09-06, 12:36 AM
Everybody relax about how much he spent.

Rzundel, I would throw them on eBay. List it with a high "Buy It Now" price and put a No Reserve price at $3,850. High Buy it Now price as in $5,500. And state that you paid $6,000 for them. Scan some receipts and put them on the ad as well. That will help sell them quickly. And also put "New" (Not brand new) in the title of the ebay ad, then re-state in the ad description that they are practically new with only 2,000 miles.

Thanks for your support and ebay advise!

8ball
12-09-06, 09:10 AM
Since you have all this money let me have those rims for 2,000...lol

vietfob714
12-09-06, 02:25 PM
To be honest with you I really doubt your going to get close to $3900 . I just sold my custom painted Zenetti wheels for $2600. I put it on ebay for 2800 and never got a bite. $2600 is the highest I got so I just wanted to you to know. Good luck.

Synergetic
12-09-06, 02:33 PM
To be honest with you I really doubt your going to get close to $3900 . I just sold my custom painted Zenetti wheels for $2600. I put it on ebay for 2800 and never got a bite. $2600 is the highest I got so I just wanted to you to know. Good luck.

With how many miles on them? The best thing to do is the ebay trick. Some people think they are saving money with a high buy it now and low no reserve, others don't fall for it. I'm selling my 24" 1PC wheels for $2,600. I already got a buyer, just haven't had the time to install 26s.

rzundel
12-09-06, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the pricing expectation on the wheels. I guess the good news is that I'm in no big hurry to sell. If I find the right buyer, great. If not, I will hold onto the 24's for a while until the tires wear out or something. I love the wheels. I just wish that I went with 26's to begin with.

vietfob714
12-09-06, 10:18 PM
I did the best offer thing. They can throw an offer at you and you can go back and forth .

socalescalade
12-12-06, 01:05 PM
Sherwood? I live right around the corner and my parents live in there. Tiger is coming soon :) I would pay $2000 and be able to pick the wheels up today.

djmodifyd
12-12-06, 03:50 PM
hm....as stated before...very nice truck

but 1200 for an alarm?

i have a python autostart/alarm...with pager, ignitinn kill, heated seat module, shock sensor...and all that crap
i paid $490 for it....

rzundel
12-14-06, 03:05 PM
Sherwood? I live right around the corner and my parents live in there. Tiger is coming soon :) I would pay $2000 and be able to pick the wheels up today.

Hey neighbor, you are right about the big Toger Woods open this week. Pretty exciting stuff! PM me and let's discuss the wheels.

socalescalade
12-22-06, 01:17 PM
Hey neighbor, you are right about the big Toger Woods open this week. Pretty exciting stuff! PM me and let's discuss the wheels.

Sorry for the delay. I just tried to PM you but it won't let me until I get 50 posts. Maybe if you send me a PM I can reply.

DLH
12-22-06, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the pricing expectation on the wheels. I guess the good news is that I'm in no big hurry to sell. If I find the right buyer, great. If not, I will hold onto the 24's for a while until the tires wear out or something. I love the wheels. I just wish that I went with 26's to begin with.

I am ready to buy something. What's your best price to South Carolina?

rzundel
12-22-06, 03:00 PM
Socalescalade and DLH if you are interested in the wheels, why don't you send me and email at r.zundel@verizon.net and lets discuss off line.

cornfed
12-22-06, 03:57 PM
What a sharp looking truck!

Patrick7997
12-22-06, 05:34 PM
Hey man, nice.... nice.

I happen to like the gas cap cover....

My only nit pick (and this is a small small nitpick) is I don't think I personally would have lowered it... but that's just me.

Super nice, man. Congrats.

WS6Owner
01-06-07, 01:36 AM
lol HOLY CRAP! It looks awesome! I am laughing though because I just picked up my 98 WS6 Vert for about 5k less than your upgrades. And i thought I was living the high life :)

Rey Rey 650
01-06-07, 08:56 AM
Nice house :)

andrew99eldorado
01-19-07, 02:37 PM
Damn, you guys sure give him a hard time about how much he is spending. From his price break down it seems about right. The rims were a bit high but thats wheel stores for you. And so was the exhaust but not by much. Now i dont have a escalade but how much are headers for your trucks?

srt
01-20-07, 04:10 AM
it's hard to believe:hmm: you spent 20 g's on upgrades. i had not even spent half of that and i have almost the same set up. accept i have Zapco amps, eq, and the new Alpine pdx 4.150
although......
i don't ever pay full price since my boys gave me the hook up on all that i've done to it. saved A LOT!!!!!
BUT......
nice ryde!