: Paint flake on audo buttons

Rey
12-06-06, 07:47 PM
I am on my third audio system replaced under warranty because of paint flaking from audio buttons. I will be out of warranty soon, and the option of warranty extensions does not seem worthwhile to me.

I am wondering if the button paint is a sort of laquer. Just about all furniture is laquer finished these days. I have an Ethan Allen craftsman-style chair with wooden arms, and the finish is flaking off wherever my hands rest on the arms. My wife has an identical chair with no such problems. I naturally sweat quite a bit (my wife, who is a good person, does not sweat) and wonder if the salt on my hands is breaking up the finish on the chair.

By the same token, I wonder if the finish on the audio buttons is similarly affected?

I am thinking that a "fix" might be a thin coat of varnish on the audo button faces. Varnish will stand up to just about any abuse. It takes much longer to dry than laquer. Comments?

Thello
12-06-06, 08:20 PM
Just put three coats of varnish on the navigation buttons last week. Too early to tell if it will help, but no new chips for a week which is a record it seems for me. I have not put it on the radio buttons, but probably should.

I used a flat finish product and can barely tell I put it on.

austin
12-06-06, 09:49 PM
I read somewhere that the dealer can order just the buttons and/or faceplate alone from the radios manufacturer... It would be nice to have a spare set... I know i wouldn't mind paying for it... Would any sponsoring dealers here on the board be able to do this for us. :)

Silver Dollar
12-07-06, 08:25 AM
This is a GM problem. My Buick did it, my Siverado did it and my wife's Tahoe is doing it.

I also have one button on my V that's peeled.

ewill3rd
12-07-06, 08:42 AM
Okay, just as a teaser I'll tell you this.
I just called our radio distributor and it seems as though we CAN purchase the buttons from them for some of these radios.
I specifically asked about the CTS and CTS-V nav units and they said we can order as many of each button as we want.

For those of you in our service area, when James gets back from vacation and settled in I'll talk to him about ordering some stock to replace peeling buttons.
I am not sure how we'll handle it and I can't make any promises until the parts are in hand. The only parts available through GMSPO (regular parts order) are the big round knobs.

I am told that we can get buttons for Escalade nav units up to '06 as well.
As I know more, I'll tell you more.
We'll try to figure something out next week.
Also I'll talk to James about buying buttons to sell and ship to those of you that might want some.
It's fairly easy to replace the buttons actually. I might even be able to put together a pictorial?

If anyone is interested please let me or James know.
;)

austin
12-07-06, 09:40 AM
That's great news... Please keep us informed.. Thanks :)

srracer
12-07-06, 10:08 AM
Ewill3rd,
Do you know if its possible to order just a wood grain face plate for the radio? I would love to order the OEM wood grain parts from the regular CTS, but I've been under the impression that I can't get the radio piece - only the vent panel and temperature panel. If I could order the navigation faceplate too, then I'd be all over it.

Thanks for all your help and work in chasing these odd requests down for us!
-Chris

ewill3rd
12-07-06, 10:33 AM
I need the radio part number to ask Specmo.
They might complain if it was a non-woodgrain face and I want to get a woodgrain one but I can always ask.
The nice Woman that I talked to indicated that the faceplates are available but they cost considerably more than the buttons.

ctsvett
12-09-06, 12:10 AM
sign me up for at least 5 sets of buttons at the rate I am going through them.

Reed

ewill3rd
12-09-06, 07:17 AM
Guys don't forget to remind me to talk to James about this next week.
I suspect he'll be pretty busy on Monday since that will be his first day back.

dqw1
12-09-06, 08:37 AM
I need buttons also.

lunarx
12-09-06, 11:55 PM
I need a Faceplate and Vol Knob.
My buttons are all still good.
I would love to buy the parts and do this myself.
Please spare me the agony of a dealer visit.

Florian
12-10-06, 12:05 AM
Volume and Search button needed...

F

austin
12-10-06, 08:21 AM
I hope this gets off the ground... This will be of help to everyone that needs the buttons.... and does not want to tie there car up at the dealership.

ewill3rd
12-10-06, 08:40 AM
I think we should be able to pull this off.
If any of you know the part numbers for your radios, or know how to get the radio out to get the part numbers it will help when ordering the buttons.
The woman told me specifically that she needed that to be sure we get the right buttons. I think they are all the same but who knows.
Plus most people at GM are stingy about things related to part numbers, even though this is actually a sublet company.
I still have to talk to James and see how this will work, but I have been mulling this over as long as folks have been complaining about peeling buttons.
When you remove the faceplate from the radio there are a couple of flatwire connections so you have to be semi-careful, but it's actually quite easy.

Silver Dollar
12-10-06, 09:46 AM
I need one button and I'll take a few spares as well

srracer
12-11-06, 03:34 PM
I would like to get the woodgrain faceplate and a few spare buttons. I'll get my radio part number this week.

-Chris

Poopie D
12-11-06, 04:30 PM
I managed to get a whole new faceplate, screen and buttons for my Envoy with Bose from some company called Eastside automotive (I will double check my records) for $30 bucks. It was a bit of a tricky install for someone with no tinkering experience but it saved me a TON!

I would love to get a hold of something similar for the V...especially a new screen...that thing gets scratched just by looking at it. Can this connection get screens?

austin
12-11-06, 04:32 PM
They sell NAV screen protectors for the cts/cts-v on ebay, for like $12.49. :)

Read what it fits and you will find cts-v;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Screen-Protector-Cadillac-Escalade-ESV-STS-SRX-XLR-DTS_W0QQitemZ110066499761QQihZ001QQcategoryZ38653Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Tags63
12-11-06, 06:41 PM
Hey All!!

yea, even though it's under warranty, I think it's ridiculas to change out the radio just for the knobs considering anything could happen accidently while your car is in service. I only had one knob flake so far and I covered it with black paint a while ago and nothing is happening to it. There are also brushed aluminum dash trim just for the knobs which I believe highlights the interior on our V's. I may go that route if they flake again...

Paul

austin
12-11-06, 07:03 PM
I agree all the way... Some warranty work just ain't work the headaches.... With my luck..... And the hacks working at some of these dealerships... They will most likely mark the side of the NAV unit as the take it out.... Just like someone did to a cts i looked at along time ago. :)

Black Sunshine
12-11-06, 07:52 PM
There are also brushed aluminum dash trim just for the knobs which I believe highlights the interior on our V's. I may go that route if they flake again...

Paul

And pray tell where you found those?!?

Personally, I was thinkin more along the lines of the satin clear varnish route or coming up with a way to mold a little clear, adhesive cap for each button.

I've had my car four weeks and even being super careful I've got two right buttons and the volume button doin lil light shows.:mad:

ewill3rd
12-11-06, 08:32 PM
Still working on this.
We have a few things to figure out.
I'll check into the screen, not sure about that one though.

austin
12-11-06, 09:05 PM
>Still working on this.

Thanks for the update. :)

ewill3rd
12-11-06, 09:57 PM
I did talk to James today and I think we are going to find a way to stock a few of these buttons. We are going to set ourselves up for a few different model radios that we see a lot of problems with.
I am sure we'll find a way to sell them to you guys. The things like the faceplates will take more work but we should be able to get the button thing going within a few weeks.

lunarx
12-11-06, 10:25 PM
I did talk to James today and I think we are going to find a way to stock a few of these buttons. We are going to set ourselves up for a few different model radios that we see a lot of problems with.
I am sure we'll find a way to sell them to you guys. The things like the faceplates will take more work but we should be able to get the button thing going within a few weeks.
Please stay on the faceplates. :thumbsup:
I figure when I do the faceplate, I will do all the buttons too.

austin
12-30-06, 01:55 PM
hey.. how is this going? Please update us. Thanks.. :)

ewill3rd
12-30-06, 05:05 PM
We did on on an Escalade the other day.
Replaced 3 of the buttons and it looked like a brand new unit.

PM James with the part number for the radio, identify which buttons you want and quantity. I think we'll be able to sell them for $16.00 each, which I know is not really cheap but it's cheaper than a radio. (unless you have to replace them all)
My parts manager is checking to see if they can give us a list of their part numbers for each model radio and then we have to find a way to control them in inventory since they are not regular GM parts, so we are still working on the details. If anyone wants to volunteer we'll see if we can get the ball rolling.

I can give you instructions on how to change the buttons if you need them, but it's really quite easy.

austin
12-30-06, 05:50 PM
Thanks alot for the update... My nav eject button is showing light at night along with two of the regular numbered buttons. Mine is an 2004. Am i going to have to pull the whole radio for the part number... or is there one floating around here for it? It is the original nav unit that came with the car. Reguarding the instructions.. That would be greatly appreciated! It would also be nice to get this into the faq section at some point. If you could post them here for now, that would be great. :)

trekster
12-30-06, 09:05 PM
You guys might need to carry for the moonroof dial too. Mines is peeling.

lunarx
12-31-06, 02:21 AM
Any word on Face Plates?

ewill3rd
12-31-06, 09:37 AM
No I haven't asked them yet.
Give me a part number and I'll call them Tuesday and see how much.

To my knowledge there are 2 ways to get the part number, with the scan tool or by pulling the radio out.
It's not hard but it can be tricky.
I think there are instructions on radio removal in the faq?

SlvrVee
12-31-06, 11:48 AM
Does anyone know if you can replace an 04 nav unit with an 07? I'm on my third replacement nav unit(it took two days for #2 to peel) and to me it does not make any sense replacing it with the the same unit thats going to peel in a couple of days. I'm also thinking that replacing the individual buttons will only be a short term solution because it they are a direct replacement they too will peel. I'm hoping that the 07's are rubberised.

heavy footed
12-31-06, 12:18 PM
I think the 07's are touch screen.

HiTechRV
12-31-06, 01:39 PM
Everyone gets in my car and thinks it is a touch screen. It *looks* like a touch screen, but it's not. My wife has tried to push buttons on it like 10 times so far. I tell her it's STILL not a touch screen.

At this point it has become a running joke.

ctsvett
01-01-07, 10:43 PM
I can use a couple buttons... say 2.

Reed

ewill3rd
01-02-07, 07:35 AM
Reed, PM James with radio part number and which buttons you want.

I know they are the same, but at least they will look new.

I am not sure about cost, but I was wondering if someone with the capability couldn't disassemble the radio face and machine small aluminum buttons to take the place of the plastic ones?
Some of you guys have aluminum knobs... I wonder how that would look?

ctsvett
01-02-07, 11:14 AM
I was thinking if I got some from james, I may try an alternate solution... Maybe not brushed aluminium, but something else...

Reed

dvandentop
01-02-07, 11:55 AM
i will have my broken nav unit back in a week or 2 if someone can machine some up off my olde face place i would be willing to work a deal with them

50 4Ever
01-02-07, 08:30 PM
That's a good idea. The only downside would be they wouldn't lightup at night, but at least the things wouldn't peel.

dvandentop
01-02-07, 08:39 PM
is this a problem on the NON nav radios with cts' as well?

chrisalteregokelley@
01-15-07, 01:20 AM
I had my vehicle in for warranty service (water pump & thermostat because of that whinning sound) and asked for 4 buttons to be replaced. Volume, seek, and soft buttons 1 and 3. The request was made on the 2nd. Let's see when they come in...

ewill3rd
01-15-07, 07:06 AM
The non-nav units can do it but don't seem to as much except on the volume and tuner knobs.

Most dealer's don't realize they can get the other buttons, my guess is that you will see new volume and tuner knobs and the same old chipped buttons or a new complete radio.

ctsvflorida
01-15-07, 01:45 PM
In just reading the first page I am wondering why everyone needs these buttons if they are warranteed! If the dealer changes them more than 3 times then it is a lemon law issue...correct? Next is, why buy the same old JUNK buttons over and over again! Understandably, there may be no other option but WTF! Wouldn't you talk to the manufacturer and ask them if they intend to make them better? This is directed at the guy who said he spoke to someone where they make these horrible buttons. I know that these things happen to most cars but not as often as ours! They obviously suck!

04CTSVFLA
01-15-07, 01:49 PM
this has happened to me 5 times!!!!! Last time I went in for it....they used some cheap paint to paint over the flake (it came off immediatly when I left the lot) ....brian I dont have any lemon law available to me because I bought the car used...but it was certified.....what can I do. Im only 22 so I dont know where to start or what to do....I have a slew more problems which keep repeating themselves.

lunarx
01-15-07, 01:55 PM
Does anyone have a part number to any nav unit?
I want to order a new faceplate and take my chances that all nav units have the same faceplate.
Saves me the time of pulling my Nav out to check the part number.

Thanks

lawfive
01-15-07, 03:10 PM
Same problem here. I'm getting ready to take her in for the third nav...

ilovemysportycadilla
02-23-07, 12:50 AM
What about buttons on an 01 STS with BOSE RDS? Can those be gotten?

ewill3rd
02-23-07, 06:50 AM
I replaced some yesterday on an '04 Deville. It has a simlar radio.
I would have to call my supplier to check but I am pretty sure they are available.
You have to be pretty careful, if you handle the faceplate incorrectly all the buttons fall out and it can be a real mess trying to get them all back in place.

Silver Dollar
02-23-07, 09:04 AM
I'm using the Urby method of a black sharpie.

Works great for me.