: New (to me) V Staying in the Forum Family!

chipenstein
12-06-06, 03:47 PM
After a 2 1/2 week search, I finally found a V for me. Appreciate everyone's help along the way. I strayed outside my original criteria (non-black, west of the Mississippi, less than 20k miles) because the car stole my imagination. It's Paul's (CTSVLS6) ride - black on black, in Ohio, with 23k miles.

At first, I saw the ad for a modified V and I thought "Hmmm....looks nice but no thanks" thinking that I didn't want someone else's garage experiment with cobbled together parts. But then the more I found out about it, the more it intrigued me. What I discovered was a high performance naturally aspirated V built by professionals (Dynotech Engineering) with an eye toward reliability. Here's the link to what DTE did:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/dynotech-engineering-inc/34699-dte-stage-v-495-performance-upgrade.html

Plus Paul added a couple more goodies like UUC shifter, Hawk brake pads, BMR antiwheelhop kit and pinion support, Red Corvette FRC's, modified air box and plumbing with K&N air filter, Stainless works headers, Random Tech cats, Corsa exhaust with x-pipe and a couple different mufflers and resonator to go from "stealthy" to "in yo face":lildevil: . There's a little larger cam in now with new dyno numbers of 437RWHP and 396RWTQ. Not sure what that equates to 1/4 mile time, but it's in the 12's somewhere.:yup:

In short, the car is built to be factory mild while puttering around town day-in, day-out with a mild lope that just hints at what lays-in-wait. DTE purposely tuned it a little mild for reliability's sake which is perfect for me as it will be my daily driver. But put your foot in it and the beast awakens!

A side note, Paul seems like a genuinely nice guy and I've enjoyed the conversations that we've had about the car. He's even picking me up at the airport next Wednesday so I can start the trek back to Phoenix. Very cool and I appreciate it.:D

So the search is over and I'm stuck counting the days until I pick up the wee beastie. I'm contemplating sticking a F.A.S.T. 90 intake in right away and having Arizona Power and Sound tune it for the Phoenix climate. That should get the horsies close to 450rwhp and help the torque a little too, but more than anything the local tune will get it ready for the brutal Arizona summer.

BLACK_CTSV
12-06-06, 03:59 PM
Congrats!!! Sounds like a great car!!!

Need pics, ASAP :D

dqw1
12-06-06, 04:15 PM
Glad things worked out for you. Sounds like you'll have a fun (fast) ride home. Watched out for the troopers. Yeah, let us know what you think after you get some stick time.
Already modded? :highfive:

rand49er
12-06-06, 04:48 PM
Oodles of HP in that beast. Congrats and giddy up! :bouncy:

12-06-06, 04:50 PM
man I didn't think that he was able to fix that car after he totaled it into a tree when the rear diff exploded while doing 6000 rpm holeshots!

Just kidding. All statements above are false.

Welcome to a great car and a great forum.

50 4Ever
12-06-06, 05:09 PM
Welcome to the forum... :highfive:

stkshkr
12-06-06, 05:24 PM
Paul's car is the best sounding V I've ever heard, gives me wood and makes me want to get rid of Maggie and go NA, Congrats!

chipenstein
12-06-06, 05:36 PM
Watch out for the troopers

I know...I'm researching radar detectors. Any recommendations?

I didn't think that he was able to fix that car after he totaled it into a tree when the rear diff exploded while doing 6000 rpm holeshots!

ONLY 6000 rpm holeshots? :bigroll: Rookie. :rolleyes: If yer not gonna redline it, why even bother? :want: :thumbsup:

Paul's car is the best sounding V I've ever heard, gives me wood...

Well, if it has the same effect on me it'll be an interesting ride home.:eek:

Thanks for the well wishes guys - counting the hours over here.

OldRoadDawg
12-06-06, 06:38 PM
Paul's car is the best sounding V I've ever heard, gives me wood and makes me want to get rid of Maggie and go NA, Congrats!

Congrats! you're getting a super car. Paul didn't have it for sale when I bought mine a year ago or I would have been on it in a heartbeat. Like Gene says . . it it one of the sweetest sounding Vs around. And you are right - Paul is a really great guy who takes excellent care of his ride. You are buying a V you will be very proud of.

BLACK_CTSV
12-06-06, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=chipenstein;891959]I know...I'm researching radar detectors. Any recommendations?

Can't go wrong with a V1. I have had great luck with mine. :bouncy:

DILLIGAF
12-06-06, 07:24 PM
Never be afraid of mods when buying from a car guy.

commander112
12-06-06, 07:39 PM
Don't know what rubber is on that car but be very careful of any snow or ice on your trip south. These cars are bad on the slick stuff with summer rubber. Plus, I'm sure that being from Phoenix you are out of practice on the snow.

Mark

chipenstein
12-06-06, 08:56 PM
Congrats! you're getting a super car. Paul didn't have it for sale when I bought mine a year ago or I would have been on it in a heartbeat. Like Gene says . . it it one of the sweetest sounding Vs around. And you are right - Paul is a really great guy who takes excellent care of his ride. You are buying a V you will be very proud of.

Appreciate the reassurance - it is a bit unnerving buying long distance. However, the superlatives regarding the V are doing nothing for making the time pass quicker. :bouncy:

Can't go wrong with a V1. I have had great luck with mine.

Cool...I'll check it out - thanks.

Don't know what rubber is on that car but be very careful of any snow or ice on your trip south. These cars are bad on the slick stuff with summer rubber. Plus, I'm sure that being from Phoenix you are out of practice on the snow.

Yeah, that wouldn't be too good to wind up in a ditch the first day I got it.:eek: Let's see if I remember right - if I start to slide then I downshift and nail the throttle, right?:want: :thumbsup:

Appreciate the warning Mark - thanks. I've been in Phoenix since '88 and before that in Houston for 4 years so it's been awhile since I've driven in snow. LOL - we took the kids (ages 7, 8, and 10) snow skiing last year and it was the first time they actually saw snow. :rolleyes:

commander112
12-07-06, 07:50 AM
Based on your reply Chipenstein, my professional advise for you is to stop, get a room and enjoy watching it snow from the hotel bar until it passes. It is safer for you, the car and everyone else out there. These cars are quite a handful on snow or ice even with all season tires on them. I am running winter only rubber and still get the tail loose on snow and ice with regularity. Stabilitrack does keep it going the right direction though and I am pretty used to the snow. High HP + RWD + Ice + novice snow driver = ditch, wall or worse.
Words to live by that I learned being a pilot, it is always better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than to be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Substitute the word hotel for ground and road for air and you get the idea.

Mark