: More fun then a barrel of monkeys! [cts 2.8 sport]

ejdavid
12-06-06, 04:43 PM
Sirs:

I bought a stripper 2.8 with sport suspension as a grocery getter and long trip replacement for my Kenne Bell supercharged and suspension tuned '91 Lincoln Mark VII. At 190,000 miles the Lincoln is retired to local driving here in the North Georgia mountains.

I did not expect heorics from the little bugger CTS, but it is a real gas! I am reminded of my 1969 Fiat 850 Spyder; happy happy humingbird motor! I suggest you create a submarket niche and call it the 280 Sports Light. Sort of a classy four door Miata. Provide some aftermarket backdoor support and you could obtain some real street cred.

One problem. I have the nifty 5 spd auto but the six speed manual really really sucks. Out of about a dozen manual shifters I have owned it is the absolute worst. HUGE drive train snatch in first gear is a crime. Revisit the 1965 4sp Corvair Monza to become reaquanted with basic mechanical virture. Then drive a WRX.

Good luck!

dp102288
12-06-06, 09:53 PM
I haven't heard the best things about the 2.8 liter. So you think it runs good. Some people say its underpowered, and should get the bigger engine instead. I dunno, never had the chance to drive one.

Also the first time I heard an automatic transmission was better than a stick!

Lord Cadillac
12-07-06, 05:15 PM
The 2.8 is a little weak down low in the torque department - but if you need power down low you could always leave it in first or second a little longer. It's really not that bad, actually..

dp102288
12-07-06, 08:53 PM
^^ Really? I think I remember you saying that the tiptronic thingy makes it worthwhile.