: Tire question

willsctsv
12-06-06, 09:42 AM
I have Bridgestone Potenza Re01R.. Pretty agressive and sticky summer tire. These tires were like glue when heated up. Now in the NY area it's cold and I'm a little afraid to push the car. I know these tires are really for summer, but does that mean they totally suck in the cold.

I guess I want to know if anyone has experience with these tires or similiar ones in the winter temps??

stkshkr
12-06-06, 06:49 PM
GSD3's suck in the cold

Feffman
12-06-06, 06:51 PM
Will:

I sat in on a Yokohama symposium at the national Lotus club meeting in August. Your question came up and the answer was an "YES" most extreme performance tires like the RE010 are sensitive to cold and sunlight!!!

Now this may have been to get guys like us to buy more tires, but it makes sense. I'm going to compromise with a set of all-season high-performance tires in the spring.

Feff

trukk
12-07-06, 12:07 PM
GSD3's suck in the cold

They do.

I drove around all last winter with GSD3 275/245 splits. I found that the tires still gave the same feedback, they just lost adhession earlier.

Will, you'll be fine. Just drive a bit slower.

-Chris

Rey
12-07-06, 03:15 PM
Consider having your summer tires "siped" at about $15/tire. We do that a lot here in Oregon to summer tires. The tiny cuts help a lot in rain and ice. One dealer claims siping actually extends tread life, but I can't confirm this from my own experience. Most winter tires are already siped.

Black Sunshine
12-07-06, 05:50 PM
Thanks! You just diverted about $1K from the snow tire/wheel budget to the "go fast" budget!! Sweet.

Even though I've seen people practice the fine art of tire craving, I have no idea why (brain burnout, probably) this didn't come to mind as an option.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgapp/news/press_release/11172005C.jsp

JamesRocco
12-18-06, 08:05 PM
Pretty interesting tires carvings.

C66 Racing
12-24-06, 01:52 PM
I have Bridgestone Potenza Re01R.. Pretty agressive and sticky summer tire. These tires were like glue when heated up. Now in the NY area it's cold and I'm a little afraid to push the car. I know these tires are really for summer, but does that mean they totally suck in the cold.

I guess I want to know if anyone has experience with these tires or similiar ones in the winter temps??

Most performance tires need to be warm to work properly. My track tires work best at about 180-200F. I've raced in freezing weather and it was just too hard to get heat into the tires. When cold, they are very hard and do not perform as well. Though I haven't driven on the RE01Rs I suspect they will behave the same. Be careful on cold tires...

sefa01
12-25-06, 05:19 AM
Will:

I put on the Avon all-season tires from Tirerack ($148) about a year ago and I really like them. They're not snow tires, but they will go pretty good up to a couple of inches. Now I run the GSD3s only from about May to October.

Steve