: Question about chipped key: how to replicate?

Clementine
12-05-06, 10:22 PM
Hello,

I have never owned a Cadillac before.
I recently bought a 1990 Sedan DeVille.
Love it, except for this issue with the keys I am now discovering and learning about.

That's what brought me here.........

I've never dealt with "chipped keys" before, so am totally new to them. We have the PASS key - dealership said another would cost thirty bucks to have a key made - we only got one key with the car.

We are very bad about losing car keys and now we're like, "Is it going to cost $30 a pop every time we need keys?"

I've heard several different stories about what you can do......what I'd really like to do is disable the entire PASS key thing - I've never had a car stolen and I don't figure a 1990 model is in any immediate danger; but I DO worry about us being able to start it.....any info appreciated.

(Yes, I am currently searching the forum for information - I haven't found what I'm looking for yet.....)

Thanks in advance

CadillacSTS42005
12-05-06, 10:26 PM
theres a way to do it
but idk it off hand
i know it was posted in the eldo seville section
but it is a HUGE hassle to do...

dp102288
12-06-06, 08:07 AM
You would take the resistor out of the key and open up the ignition. Find the contact points that would touchs the key's resistor, and soldier the resistor from the key to them, but out of the ignition so the key can still get in.

That is just the general idea though, but it is it in a nutshell.

Clementine
12-06-06, 04:09 PM
Thanks, people.

Hubby went to the dealership and had a new key cut: good thing; apparently the old one was so worn, the guy said he didn't even know how it was working to start the car, LOL.
We also got some touch-up paint.

I already had a headliner put in and the door upholstery repaired.

It's lookin' good.

Thanks to all for the info! :D

dp102288
12-06-06, 09:01 PM
No prob! Any more questions please ask/search!