: Is is worth it?

Altered One
12-05-06, 05:28 PM
I'm trying to spend $25K out the door including all taxes and fees. I was trying to decide between a sportier car and a SUV and I came across the SRX. I really like it, but I don't think I'm going to fit in my budget if I get the N*V8, AWD, Nav, and UltraView roof. I'm big into customizing my ride, andmy options with the SRX were very limited. Now I'm possibly looking at a full size SUV.

Is there really that much of a difference between the Tahoe/Denali/Escalade to to account for the 10k (for denali) and about 15K (for Escalade) difference in price tag for the same years? I've just started researching these cars and those are roughly the average I got from eBay and autotrder.
My parents has an 03 Denali XL and we loved it. The lease went up on it about 1/2 year before the body style change and decided to hold off. They went with just a regular yukon XL for on a short term lease (vs. denali xl again) because they could get essentially the same truck for much less.

Am I missing anything besides just some exterior changes. The AWD vs. 4WD doesn't bother me. I'm thinking I might just get a loaded Yukon (newer year and lesser miles) for less than the denali or escalade, just put on the Denali front end, get an alpine or pioneer indash with nav, 24's and call it a day. Am I crazy to be spending the extra money just for the name?

Mobius
12-05-06, 06:12 PM
First off, assuming you are not talking about an '07, the Escalade comes with the LQ9 engine, which is a High Output Vortec 6L. The base HP is listed at 345HP. The standard Denali comes with the LQ4, standard Vortec 6L with a listed 300-326HP. The Yukon has the L31 Vortec 5.7L with a listed I think 289HP(could be wrong). Oh and I know the Escalade has the HD transmission which means it should last longer since most Escalade drivers aren't heavy hauling.

There are other nuance options only available on each vehicle, leather types, creature comforts, paint schemes, etc.

If you are going to moddify the engine anyway, and you don't care about the interior, there's not much to distinguish.

XLR8R
12-06-06, 03:01 PM
I just ditched my 03 Denali XL for an Escalade. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Yukon came with a 5.3, not the old 5.7 which was discontinued some time ago. My Denali drive line wise is the same as the Escalade, but the escalade is slightly more tweeked, changing output from 325 to 345. I notice it only a bit in the mid range punch. I believe that the Denali is the best bang for the buck if that is what you are looking for.
The Yukon 5.3 seemed a tad anemic to me. I liked the pull of the 6.0.
My .02 :)

caddycruiser
12-06-06, 03:23 PM
I just ditched my 03 Denali XL for an Escalade. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Yukon came with a 5.3, not the old 5.7 which was discontinued some time ago. My Denali drive line wise is the same as the Escalade, but the escalade is slightly more tweeked, changing output from 325 to 345. I notice it only a bit in the mid range punch. I believe that the Denali is the best bang for the buck if that is what you are looking for.

Perfect synopsis of things. The Yukons and Tahoes mainly all come with the 5.3L, ever since 2000. The Escalade and Denali from '01-06 came with the 6.0, the Escalade being tweaked a tad for 20 extra horses (but also required to run on Premium, though a lot here don't).

Before '07, the Denali was still seen as offering a lot of the Escalade goodness, and only lacking a few small things like better trim in spots of the interior and such. Now for '07, they REALLY are considered a bargain Escalade, since both now have very high levels of refinement and material quality, and again share the new 6.2L (with the Escalade AGAIN getting small tweaks for some extra ponies on Premium). Some just can't live without the Cadillac name and panache, but in most every regard, most people are just as thrilled with a Denali as they would be with an Escalade.

A regular Yukon/Tahoe is also quite nice, but (at least with pre-'07 models) fairly spartan inside, and a lot of people familiar with the 6.0L do think of the 5.3L as a bit anemic. Still quite powerful, but doesn't have noticeably as much grunt when hauling or pulling a load, or just all around. But these are still the big sellers, and for most people, the extra grunt just isn't noticeable enough for the extra money.

LLT
12-06-06, 03:28 PM
I would get the Denali if I had it to do over again. The Escalade remains overpriced for what you get and for what you don't get: eg. bluetooth, telescopic steering, express up, etc.

DLH
12-06-06, 09:19 PM
I went from a Blazer-to Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd-to the 03 Tahoe Z-71 with a couple of Jaguars and others in between. I narrowed my choices this time around to the Denali, Range Rover or Escalade. A distant 4th were the Mercedes GL450, (which is really nothing more than the Jeep I drove :hmm: ) and the Audi Q7. I felt the Denali would be a sideways move from the Tahoe and believed all those expiring 03 leases out there would turn into mass quantities of 07 Yukons and Tahoes. Sure enough in the DC area I am seeing probably 10 to 1 '07 Tahoes, Surburbans and Yukons versus '07 Escalades. I've only seen 3 or 4 new Escalades on the road :histeric: . The whole time I drove the Tahoe I wished it were the Escalade. Now that it is there is no doubt that I would do it again. I enjoy driving the Escalade more than any of my other past vehicles.:bouncy:

Mobius
12-07-06, 01:30 PM

I have read somethings that seem to contradict this. I'm no expert, but this is what I've found on several aftermarket sites and mechanics sites. The LQ9 is not just a tweaked version of the LQ4. The LQ4 is just a bored out version of the 5.3. But the LQ9 is a moddified version of the LS2 which is the corvette engine. Am I wrong?

XLR8R
12-07-06, 02:44 PM
Dunno...hadn't heard anything like that. I guess anything is possible! :)

07slade
12-07-06, 08:25 PM
Yeah Every Journalist Who Has Driven The Denali Has Said "An Escalade But 10k Less" and Basically It is accept you don't get the Cadillac Name And theres a few standard escalade features that are optional on the denali..(correct me if i'm wrong guys)

DLH
12-07-06, 08:52 PM
Perhaps BUT would you rather:

-Fly first class or coach?
-Watch HDTV Plasma or not?
-Eat prime cut of filets or not?
-Ride a Harley or a Honda?
-Eat Lump Crab or backfin?
-Stay at the Holiday Inn or the Ritz?
-Drink fine wine or jug?
-Drink Lager or Bud?...I do prefer Bud..:cookoo:

I'll just bet if those same journalists were asked, which they'd rather drive it would not be the Denali.

LLT
12-07-06, 09:21 PM
Perhaps BUT would you rather:

-Fly first class or coach?
-Watch HDTV Plasma or not?
-Eat prime cut of filets or not?
-Ride a Harley or a Honda?
-Eat Lump Crab or backfin?
-Stay at the Holiday Inn or the Ritz?
-Drink fine wine or jug?
-Drink Lager or Bud?...I do prefer Bud..:cookoo:

I'll just bet if those same journalists were asked, which they'd rather drive it would not be the Denali.

I like your thinking. Good points!

Mobius
12-08-06, 11:04 AM
I like your thinking. Good points!

True, but what everyone seems to be missing is what is he going to do with it? If he's going to rip out the interior, repaint, change the audio system, add performance to the engine, etc, etc, and he doesn't want to spend a lot, he should go with the Yukon put less in up front and waste less.

If he wants all the luxury and doesn't plan to do much other than stereo and wheels, the Denali is probably better suited. If he wants the name of Caddy, Denali is not going to get it. In the mind of the public, Denali is still a GMC truck with some flash added. Especially when you can get a pick-up and an envoy with the Denali badge.

LLT
12-31-06, 06:08 PM
I've had a Yukon XL for the past week while my POS '07 ESV is on its 5th week in for service. After having had the Yukon for a little while, I have to say I like it far better than the ESV. The fact that I'm a bit sour on the ESV after all the problems I've had surely doesn't help, but the Yukon is much much quieter and far smoother (though bouncier since it doesn't share the same suspension as the Escalade.) There is a performance loss, of course, but nothing significant and the FlexFuel capabilities combined with AFM make up for it in my opinion. The plastic dash is kind of off-putting as well, but it's also significantly cheaper in price.

If I ever get my ESV back in one piece and functional, I'm thinking of sticking it up for sale and getting the Yukon.

* Note: I'm comparing the ESV to the Yukon XL. The regular Escalade is ENTIRELY different (better IMO) than the ESV in handling, smoothness and quietness.

Papi_MaC
12-31-06, 06:49 PM
i never even considered a yukon, denali, tahoe, etc... ive only driven cadillac from boxes to bubbles i love my cadi's... now that im makin some extra bucks i went for my first escalade ('02) (sold my '95 concours & '92 brougham + cash for out-the-door buyout) about 8mos ago.. if you want a cadillac.. get a cadillac.. just be real ;D

LLT
12-31-06, 09:18 PM
I think they changed course with the 2007 Escalade. I think they're trying to hit a different demographic (ie: not me.) Personally, I think it's further off than I originally thought from being a real luxury competitor. No bluetooth, no telescopic steering, no auto-up windows, no pushbutton start, no power folding third row (no fold-flat third row for that matter) - come on.

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful vehicle and oh-so-"bling" - it's just simply not worth $70k in my opinion. I guess it's just bitter buyer's remorse for me. To each his own. I'm happy for those who love their 07's as much as I thought I would. :)

TMW597
01-01-07, 01:04 AM
I've had a Yukon XL for the past week while my POS '07 ESV is on its 5th week in for service. After having had the Yukon for a little while, I have to say I like it far better than the ESV. The fact that I'm a bit sour on the ESV after all the problems I've had surely doesn't help, but the Yukon is much much quieter and far smoother (though bouncier since it doesn't share the same suspension as the Escalade.) There is a performance loss, of course, but nothing significant and the FlexFuel capabilities combined with AFM make up for it in my opinion. The plastic dash is kind of off-putting as well, but it's also significantly cheaper in price.

If I ever get my ESV back in one piece and functional, I'm thinking of sticking it up for sale and getting the Yukon.

* Note: I'm comparing the ESV to the Yukon XL. The regular Escalade is ENTIRELY different (better IMO) than the ESV in handling, smoothness and quietness.

I kinda' agree with you on this one. I too have the Yukon XL but I went with the auto-leveling air ride suspension, along with 20" factory rims. Rides just as smooth as the Cadillac, as that's what it is anyway. Same chassis.

Hey LLT you can always pick this up for your Yukon XL: http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=17432&cat=921&page=1

LLT
01-01-07, 01:40 AM
The Yukon is just a loaner - I'm sure they'd love the upgrade though. :D

Again, I'd say the Yukon rides nicer than the Cadillac. Perhaps my ESV just fell off the transport truck and rolled down a mountain, hence it's plethora of mind-numbing issues.

benamaster
01-01-07, 02:11 AM
The Yukon/Escalade size always seemed to feel stiffer to me than the XL/ESV length. Probably because of the length difference. Sorry to hear about the problems with your ESV.