: Brembo Brakes A Must?

phyunescalade
12-05-06, 02:35 PM
I Heard Brembo Brakes Are A Must If You Size Up On Your Wheels...what About On 22" And 24", Will The Stock Ones Do...what Will Happen If I Keep The Stock Ones...

TheCaddyKidd
12-05-06, 02:42 PM
you can keep stock brakes on any size wheel.. just know that you have to brake alot earlier then if you had stock wheels... i did a baer rotor upgrade for my 22's.. helped with the brakeing a lot... you might want ot consider a simply rotor upgrade to drilled/slotted + size rotors...

AndrewDP
12-05-06, 03:18 PM
Does a rotor upgrade void the warranty? I assume that aftermarket calipers and rotors would cause warranty problems. Also, does Cadillac have a performance parts division or dept. from which one can order upgraded brakes? One one reservation about getting the Escalade is the stopping power, which according to Motor Trend's test was 135 ft. 60-0, which amazingly enough is the same as the new Lexus LS460, although is far short of the Range Rover Sport's 117 ft., which I am also considering.

DLH
12-05-06, 03:25 PM
OK I have to ask. When I bought my 07 I was able to drive it away that day with 18's or 22's. There was no mention of upgrading any brakes. If better braking is required for 22's wouldn't the dealer/manufacturer offer or suggest. Probably a dumb question I know. No offense but at this point I am convinced some of you are rebuilding the whole damn truck.

Maybe they should offer a shell like a log cabing and let us add all the other stuff.

XLR8R
12-05-06, 03:57 PM
you have to brake alot earlier then if you had stock wheels...

If the outside diameter is the same, why would you need to brake earlier? The car knows no different, right?:confused:

Altered One
12-05-06, 04:17 PM
Most people say you need to upgrade the brakes because of the additional weight of the bigger rims. I don't think it should really cause that much of a problem with a well built/engineered vehicle. There could be problems when you take a lower end truck that is designed for 15" rims and you try to go to 20s or 22s. I'm sure that Cadillac knows that like 75% of Escalade owners are going to be putting 20"+ rims. They have to account for it in the new model if they're offering stock 22's without a mandatory brake upgrade.

Sure they'll be a difference if you upgrade, but it isn't absolutly neccessary. That's just my $.02

07slade
12-05-06, 05:22 PM
Its Not THAT much Weight, I have the 22's And for the winter I put on The 18''s and I haven't Noticed Any Difference In braking...but Many Journalists Didn't Like The breaking distances Or pedal Feel...I don't Care as long as it stops Quick with little drama.

Synergetic
12-05-06, 05:32 PM
BIG wheels, BIG brakes! Brembo and Wilwood are good. If not upgrading Calipers, definetely and atleast upgrade your rotors. I got 14" rotors w/ stock calipers on my 24s and when I finally put my 26s on, I will upgrade to 16" rotors with the Wilwood 6 piston brake system. Too many close calls in life... they are worth the money!

TheCaddyKidd
12-05-06, 07:39 PM
if you go from 18's to 22's there is a weight difference.. if you are going from stock 22's to aftermarket 22's you wont notice a difference.. however there could be a weight difference..

phyunescalade
12-19-06, 08:19 PM
If I get 24" aftermarket wheels, are brembo brakes a must on all 4 wheels, can I get away with just changing the rear ones or the front ones.

Also how long do brembo brakes usually last? typically how many miles before I have to change it.

rzundel
12-20-06, 12:42 AM
Going to 24's should include an upgrade on your brakes. You are spinning a lot of extra wheel mass and you will want better brakes than stock for stopping power. Brembo's are top of the line but might be an overkill. When I changed out my brakes I looked at Brembo and decided to go with Baer because they were about 1/2 the cost. The other issue is you have to be carefull with Brembo because they DO NOT work with all wheels due to clearance issues. I am very happy with the result of my Baer brakes. I went with the Alumasports on all four wheels. If I did it over, I probably would have gone with the 6 piston option in the front with the Alumasports in the rear.

The other benefit is they look good inside the 24" wheels.

hcvone
12-20-06, 06:44 AM
Depending on where you live you may or may not need bigger brakes with large wheels and tires, if you live in Florida or Texas where it's mostly flat you may get away without changing your brakes, but if you live and drive in areas with a lot of hills or mountains you will want larger brakes. I have had many different large brake kits and the best I have had was Baer, they make many different options depending on how much you want to spend, and how fast you need to stop. :)

RichieRich
12-20-06, 05:16 PM
I think you need the brakes no matter where you live... I lived in South Fla for a short time & I think there of all places you should have them. The old people down there that just pull out in front of you are reason enough to be able to stop fast...

RichieRich
12-20-06, 05:17 PM
How much did the Baer's cost? As compaired to the Brembo's? Did you install them yourself?

rzundel
12-20-06, 06:15 PM
How much did the Baer's cost? As compaired to the Brembo's? Did you install them yourself?

Baer's were around $4k installed and Brembo's were around $9K. I had them professionally installed.

chrias
12-21-06, 01:33 PM
I bought the Baer Eradispeed +1 front and rear kit. I paid $1700 CDN including the brake pads (Hawks in the front and Wagner Therma Quiet in the rear). It took me 1 1/2 hrs to do the whole thing. It's pretty easy if you're mechanically inclined.

Mind you, I drive a 2000 Suburban 1500 4x4 with 22s and it made a hella difference in stopping distance. I can actually lock up my wheels where I couldn't even do that with the stock brakes (btw my ABS isn't working).

tc3
12-21-06, 11:14 PM
I bought the Baer Eradispeed +1 front and rear kit. I paid $1700 CDN including the brake pads (Hawks in the front and Wagner Therma Quiet in the rear). It took me 1 1/2 hrs to do the whole thing. It's pretty easy if you're mechanically inclined.

Mind you, I drive a 2000 Suburban 1500 4x4 with 22s and it made a hella difference in stopping distance. I can actually lock up my wheels where I couldn't even do that with the stock brakes (btw my ABS isn't working).

Where did u buy them for at that price?!?
And what do u use for winter tires? I'm assuming u live in Canada!?!

ejholt
12-27-06, 10:18 PM
Do they have kits for the 07 EXT? I checked both Baer & Brembo's website, but didn't see any application. If available, where is the cheapest place to buy either manufacture?

billytheshoe
01-16-07, 12:56 PM
Brembo, Willwood, Alcon, AP, ect...won't make you stop any better. 6 piston, 4 piston 2 piston, 1 piston, it won't matter. The purpose of these high end, high maintenence, aftermarket brakes is to servive extreme severe heat conditions that are incountered in racing applications. 99.9% of the folks on this site would never encounter conditions so severe that you would need this kind of hardware. Of course they look cool.

billytheshoe
01-16-07, 01:05 PM
The brakes don't stop the car, the tires are what stops the car.

hcvone
01-16-07, 01:05 PM
I have a few customers with big brakes on their Escalade's, and they stop must faster than stock. I had Wilwoods on my 03' Z06, it stopped so fast and hard it almost threw me thru the windshield the first time I really stepped on them. I agree they are mostly overkill for the average driver, and they are costly to maintain compared to stock.

Ridin' Dirty
01-16-07, 01:17 PM
I can tow my 28 ft boat and car trailer and still stop with no problems and no brake upgrades and I have 26" rims

urbanski
01-16-07, 01:19 PM