: antenna repair - help

lochenjons
12-04-06, 05:34 PM
okay so on my 85 fleetwood RWD the antenna does not go all the way down. I figured out that the top section of the mast will not go down all the way, so a friend told me I could repair it myself. Any idea how to do this? I have somewhat of an idea I just don't want to screw anything up... This problem has been going on for some years now, even when the previous owner had it. He disconnected the motor which works fine, because since the antenna wouldn't go all the way down, the motor kept trying to bring it down and was running all the time. I want to get this antenna down soon because I just bought a nice car cover for it and im reluctant to punch a hole in it when the antenna is SUPPOSED to go down. Last resort I'll go to a junkyard and buy an antenna... but i'd prefer to fix it myself. Any ideas or suggestions?

dp102288
12-04-06, 11:27 PM
If you are just going to cover it, couldn't you disconnect it from the car?

lochenjons
12-05-06, 01:56 AM
yeah, but i drive it every other day, i put the cover on to save it from the sun etc. it just bugs me not to have every "rich person" feature on that car not working... :suspect:

dp102288
12-05-06, 08:59 AM
^^ Don't worry, that's normal! :p

I searched google for some phrases...this should help you.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4079_replace-power-car.html

Highway Star
12-06-06, 03:31 PM
Sounds like the cable that lifts/lowers has snapped, which is typical. I'd avoid getting one from a junkyard unless it could be tested. I've rebuilt a few of these before and it usually just requires getting a replacement cable (comes with upper/thin mast section). Can be a pain in the butt if you've never done one before. I'm currently using an aftermarket unit made by Metra (Advance etc) on my '79 CDV until I can get the proper rebuilt kit for my original.