: Anyone ever make a sub box out of the midgate

RichieRich
12-04-06, 12:19 AM
I'm tired of looking at boxes for under the seat that don't allow the seats to fold down & the midgate to be used properly. I'm thinking about just using the midgate for 2 subs & building a box on the back so that the seats go down as they were made to & the midgate still folds down as it was meant to. The only difference is the midgate will have a box sticking out of the box. Kind of like making my own stealthbox without the ridiculous price that JL charges. If anyone has done this in the past please tell me how it worked out & post some pics if you can. I need ideas.

07caddyext
12-04-06, 12:31 AM
i did it. it still folds down and sounds good. i will post some pics tommorow

fast66
12-04-06, 12:45 AM
Well I ahve one but I dont have a camera yet so its hard to take pics of it.

I also need the camera to take pics of the headunit surround that you wanted to see.

TheCaddyKidd
12-04-06, 01:01 AM
I have seen a few guys do it.. shouldnt be that hard..to be honest you might as well just get a whole custom midgate done.. even if you can fold it down there isnt going to be much to haul anything and i dont know how safe it would be to be flipping down the sub box and then slamming the midgate shut and whatnot.. i would say it would be safer to just do a custom midgate or just remove the midgate all together and just put a box that is built almost the entire dimension of the midgate and just line it up to it...

RichieRich
12-04-06, 12:08 PM
I have seen a few guys do it.. shouldnt be that hard..to be honest you might as well just get a whole custom midgate done.. even if you can fold it down there isnt going to be much to haul anything and i dont know how safe it would be to be flipping down the sub box and then slamming the midgate shut and whatnot.. i would say it would be safer to just do a custom midgate or just remove the midgate all together and just put a box that is built almost the entire dimension of the midgate and just line it up to it...

I've seen too many custom boxes leak, that includes the stealthbox. I also need that thing to be able to fold down.
Fast66, did that fold down? How did having only 1 sub sound?

RichieRich
12-05-06, 09:39 AM
Come on boys... Let's see some boxes! I know they're out there.

fast66
12-06-06, 02:19 AM
I've seen too many custom boxes leak, that includes the stealthbox. I also need that thing to be able to fold down.
Fast66, did that fold down? How did having only 1 sub sound?

Doesnt fold down.

takes up about 2 feet of the bed.

One sub sounds amazing, you can adjust it from just shaking the rear seats all the way up to shaking the windshield wipers.

This box doesnt leak at all, it is ported though.