: 2000 Eldorado ETC Misfire #2

Fastfred
12-02-06, 09:50 PM
2000 Eldorado with 64K miles. My SES light came on and check out the codes and found P0302. Tells me its #2 misfiring. Well, I changed the spark plugs (all 8) today and the original plugs were real bad. Seeing this, I figured I have the problem solved. No luck, to easy so now what? I have not replace the boots or should I? Still had the rough idle after starting the car, so I proceeded to clear the codes, and as soon as I started driving the SES came back with the same code. Whats left to do? Coils? Is the #2 coil in the front bank? Not sure if I should replace both banks. Looking for answers on what else could it be before I spend a ton on money on the bank of coils or two banks.

Thanks,
Fred

Ranger
12-02-06, 10:41 PM
Where any of the old plugs carbon tracked? If so, the boot may also be tracked and the spark will follow that track (path of least resistance). If it turns out that you have to R & R the coil module, I would only do the one that is bad. They gotta be expensive. I believe #2 is on the front bank. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Fastfred
12-03-06, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the reply. Some of the plugs were very bad and now will go back and change the the boots and if that don't work, just need to be sure of what bank to change for the #2 since its a high dollar item. Anyone else have any comments to add. Appreciate it. Thanks, Fred

Fastfred
12-12-06, 05:36 PM
Just wanted to say, this past saturday 12/09 I replaced the boots and that didn't do it, so now I replaced the front bank and bingo! that did it! Thanks for your help and could not have done it without it.

Now a new problem (errrrr!) code came up tuesday 12/12 as I was driving to work this morning. Will post a new thread.

Thanks again,
Fred