: Very confused purchasing new wheels and using old tire pressure sensors

bartturner
12-02-06, 06:11 PM
I am very confused about the tire pressure sensors that come with the 2007 ESV. I purchased an ESV with 18" wheels. I want to replace with 22" wheels. Have a couple of questions:

- If I buy OEM 22" Escalade ESV wheels can I just use the sensors that come with the wheels?

- If I buy a different brand wheel can I use the tire pressure sensors from my factory wheels? Would I just be able to take them off and put on the other wheels?

What does a tire pressure sensor look like? What do they use for power? Do they communicate wirlessly?

Thanks so much for any help.

TheCaddyKidd
12-02-06, 08:24 PM
you can take the pressure sensors out of your wheels and place them in any wheel... i had mine taken out and put on my 22's.. once you install them in the new tires you just reset the system to adjust so the computer knows what pressure is correct.. my dealer did this when they installed my aftermarket 22's... most shops know how to do it.. they do communitcate wirelessly..

they look like this:

bartturner
12-02-06, 08:43 PM
Is this something I can just do myself? Can I just move the sensors myself to the new wheels?

TheCaddyKidd
12-02-06, 09:01 PM
you may be able to install them into the wheels yourself.. its nothing special i dont think.. i jsut let the dealer do it but you should be able to do it yourself if you have a tire removal machine.. you have to take the tire off the wheel or if they are not on yet its even better.. i think its just like installing a regular valve stem.. then you mount the tires and then mount the wheels/tires on the truck and then just go through the resetting process which i am not sure if it is the same as on the 02-06's

'06 QuickSilver
12-03-06, 03:17 AM
i removed the sensors from my stock 17s and into the 24s , they run perfectly i didnt have to reset anything, just need to drive for 5-10mins so that the computer will have the readings again. if you dont want to go to the dealer, you can go to a reputable tire shop and they'l have it done for you. good luck

SUX2BU
12-04-06, 12:31 AM
i removed the sensors from my stock 17s and into the 24s , they run perfectly i didnt have to reset anything, just need to drive for 5-10mins so that the computer will have the readings again. if you dont want to go to the dealer, you can go to a reputable tire shop and they'l have it done for you. good luck

actually unless you put the sensors in the exact locations they came (front right, front left, rear right, rear left) from you do have to reset them so the comp knows which ensor is where. It will work if you don't but if you do have a low tire the comp has a 75% chance of telling you its the wrong tire.

ewill3rd
12-04-06, 08:36 AM
You have to break down the tire to install the sensor, if you don't have your own tire machine, which most people don't, then you'll need to have it done.
They should fit in your new wheels, but there are limitations. The wheel has to have room for the sensor to fit, some don't.
Also whoever puts them in must be careful not to break the sensors when mounting the tire, this often takes a positive IQ when it comes to tire machine operation.
;)

As for locations, yes you have to put them in the same place or program them so the computer knows the correct location.
If it tells you the right rear is low and it's really the left front you might end up riding funny down the road.

03whiteesv
12-04-06, 11:05 AM
do 03's have this?

D-man
12-04-06, 03:20 PM
do 03's have this?

No, Tire-pressure warning systems on Lades came out in 04' (At least in the EXTs, anyway)

"D-man"