: Strange Sound

Mike_S_30189
12-01-06, 10:25 PM
Need your help. Have a 2007 SRX AWD with MRC with about 2,500 miles. I started to hear a strange noise. When I brake harshly or turn my wheel strongly, I hear a creaking sound. Strangely, the best way I can describe it is like creaking knee joints.

I am taking it to the dealer, but I was wondering if anybody out there has any ideas.

Thanks

c5 rv
12-02-06, 08:11 AM
Do you feel it in the steering wheel? Your description of the noise matches exactly what I heard in my son's 04 Impala SS and it was the intermediate steering shaft. GM has a big problem with intermediate steering shaft lubrication, but I've never heard of it with that low of a mileage or in the sigma platform.

Do you notice that your gear shift is moving / flexing when you hear the noise? I notice that mine moves, but no noise.

Mike_S_30189
12-02-06, 01:33 PM
Do not feel it in the wheel. I am thinking it either brake pump or MRC is not functioning properly. Very frustrating

john d
12-02-06, 06:41 PM
Older Ford products would have a dry and worn idler arm/drag link in the steering linkage and/or highly worn upper control arm bushings that make the sound you describe.
At one year and 7k miles my early 04 SRX started making the sound you describe at just a few thousand miles when slowly going over speed humps (as opposed to bumps) that gently and fully flexed the front suspension. After many attempts to isolate the source the dealer used an electronic noise ear and determined it was the upper control arm rubber bushings on both sides. Dealer soaked the bushings with silicone spray and the noise ended. It's now a year plus 10k miles later and the noise is back. If it's the same problem hope the dealer will replace the bushings this time around as the noise indicates unusual wear.
Let us know what your noise eventually is found to be and the fix.

srxfrank
12-04-06, 07:16 AM
I agree, GM has a real big problem with the steering shafts. My wife's '02 Yukon has been back 4 times for this problem (dealer relubes the shafts). It has 50k on it and it is still done at no charge. Dealer states many have this problem and gm has yet to come up with a fix for it.

c5 rv
12-04-06, 05:36 PM
I agree, GM has a real big problem with the steering shafts. My wife's '02 Yukon has been back 4 times for this problem (dealer relubes the shafts). It has 50k on it and it is still done at no charge. Dealer states many have this problem and gm has yet to come up with a fix for it.

The GM fix for it is the lube kits. It's good to hear that you have a history with your dealer and the work is being done for free. My son bought his Impala SS last spring with 40K miles at a Chrysler dealer in North Carolina when he was in the Marines and the car now has about 60K miles.

Mike_S_30189
12-11-06, 04:27 PM
A fyi....

The dealer told me today that the problem is a bad lower control arm. They had to replace it along with adjustment to a couple of bolts. Very frustrating.

john d
12-11-06, 05:05 PM
A fyi....

The dealer told me today that the problem is a bad lower control arm. They had to replace it along with adjustment to a couple of bolts. Very frustrating.
Mike - Thanks for the update.
Did the dealer perform an alignment?
Replacing the control arms, upper or lower, will cause changes in caster, camber and toe settings. Most all alignment shops will only set the toe and ignore needed adjustments to caster and camber as it's time consuming and sometimes difficult. Some alignment rack operators don't know there's anything besides the toe settings to adjust. One dealer said the SRX camber and caster wasn't adjustable until I showed him my SRX factory shop manuel chapter on the adjustment procedure and special tool.
Watch the front tire wear carefully and often.

dimitri_010
12-14-06, 11:11 PM
I had a similar problem in my 06 SRX. Do u feel it in the pedal? feels like a grinding correct?

Mike_S_30189
12-15-06, 01:46 PM
No grinding and I do not feel it in the pedal. Heard the noise again and took it to the dealer. They are going to try to the upper control arm this time. I think it is the bushings!

Thanks

Smokin' SRX
12-25-06, 12:18 PM
No grinding and I do not feel it in the pedal. Heard the noise again and took it to the dealer. They are going to try to the upper control arm this time. I think it is the bushings!

Thanks
Search this forum for recall on lower control arm bolts/washers! Had my '04 done and noise was gone! But they never did an alignment and I ate my front left tire(coincidence?) to shreds shortly after (6 months!) Stupid me forgot to ask for the re-alignment! Duh! Think they'd know???? Think I'd know????!!!@#%$$#@@

Mike_S_30189
12-28-06, 11:50 AM
It was the lower left control arm and the related bushings. Thanks to everyone's input.

Also, according to the dealership RO, the camber was reset. I will check tire wear at 7,500 mile oil change. I cuurently have 3,000 miles.

tonygxp
03-17-07, 04:54 PM
my 07' AWD V6 is making a similar noise, only it's intermittent and seems to pop up only on certain surfaces, my first thought was a sawy bar link or bushing. it's coming from the front pass side, I was also thinking strut mount or bad strut?? strange that it started after I made an evasive maneuver on the pkwy to avoid an accident in a driving "sleet" storm.. I wonder if that's relevant, because I noticed it right before I exited the hwy, I never hit, ran off the road or anything other than jerked the wheel and slammed on the brakes (hard enough for the ABS to engage).. any thoughts? notice it more at speeds of 20-50, above that I can't hear it and slower unless I give it gas and hit the brake it's not there (control arm bushings already?)

ps car is only 5 days old and 250mi...sucks

dkozloski
03-17-07, 05:06 PM
For over 75 years the fix for creaky rubber bushings is an old line product called RuGlide and an oil pump can. See your NAPA dealer.

Mike_S_30189
03-17-07, 05:09 PM
My issues were not surface/pavement related and they were not related to a driving incident. They were consistent. It may or may not be the same thing?
Good luck and don't give up. The dealer will figure it out. You will love your SRX!

tonygxp
03-17-07, 05:17 PM
My issues were not surface/pavement related and they were not related to a driving incident. They were consistent. It may or may not be the same thing?
Good luck and don't give up. The dealer will figure it out. You will love your SRX!

I hear ya. I was hoping it was a "common" problem that someone would be like "Oh yeah it's the xxxxxxxxx" and be done with it..

as for the driving incident, it could of been a coincidence? that's the problem, we didn't hear it until we got off the pkwy, but at pkwy speeds it's either not there or blends in with the road/traffic noise.. my wife swears she heard it before the "incident" so maybe it is similar to yours? this is like a creak/groan sound faint, and then obtrusive and just before I felt it in the wheel, whereas before this I didn't feel it, just heard it.. I picked it up from the dealer after the windshield was replaced because it was scratched on delivery.. couldn't be a noisy windshield right? like if the adhesive didn't dry properly from the cold weather and ice storm? strange that it happened after I drove the car home from the dealer after that repair?

Mike_S_30189
03-18-07, 08:19 AM
The sound was evident when I used the brakes as the weight of the vehicle shifted forward. I think the windshield would cause a whistling not a creaking sound.

tonygxp
03-18-07, 02:17 PM
The sound was evident when I used the brakes as the weight of the vehicle shifted forward. I think the windshield would cause a whistling not a creaking sound.

I think you're right, except the only thing I had done prior to the
noise was change the windshield so I assumed it to be related. Now I have no idea?? it happens now and then and it's pretty loud when it happens, but you know when I bring it in it won't happen lol.. Anyway the glass is a "PPG SunShield SolarGreen" piece.. not OEM? I wonder if there is a difference between the two or is PPG the OEM Supplier (factory windshield has GM on it, this doesn't)

Mplsspyder
04-02-07, 11:31 AM
did you check out this one?
06-03-08-008ATSBSqueak/Creak Type Noise from Front of Vehicle when Braking or Turning (Install Front Lower Control Arm Rear Bushing Spacer)September 1, 2006