: Noisy power steering pump, belt noise ????

Z06CTSV
12-01-06, 08:58 PM
At least I believe it's my power steering pump. It's noisy most of the time but especially when cold. It quiets down when the engine gets hot, but I can still hear it when I make turns. I took it to the dealer and they noticed that fluids were low and filled it, but found no leaks. Noise remains. Should I fight for a new pump or is this problem something else? It sounds like a straining belt noise. I'm taking another trip to the dealer, soon. I just didn't know if this has happened to someone else and what was their fix.

Thanks...

Lyn Labahn
12-02-06, 12:26 AM
You are not alone. The first day it dipped below zero here in Oklahoma I noticed the exact same thing. Definitely from the power steering pump. I am wondering if it is just the fluid getting exteremly viscous in the cold. It is embarassingly loud when I first start up the car.

I too would like to hear if there is a solution!

BLACK_CTSV
12-02-06, 12:30 AM
You are not alone. The first day it dipped below zero here in Oklahoma I noticed the exact same thing. Definitely from the power steering pump. I am wondering if it is just the fluid getting exteremly viscous in the cold. It is embarassingly loud when I first start up the car.

I too would like to hear if there is a solution!

Move to Florida? :hmm: :D

Kyle15
12-02-06, 02:12 PM
I live in NC and two weeks ago I got this for the first time. I am 99% sure its the pump, and mine only does it when its really cold here, which is hardly ever. Has to be below 40 or around that. I think your idea about the fluid has to be on point. Let me know if you figure anything out.

v-ape
12-02-06, 03:48 PM
I just had my pump replaced (30,500 miles). It was making noise for a few months before it finally went out. The pump was on back order so I was without my car for a week.

04CTSVFLA
12-02-06, 06:20 PM
i live in tally, it happens to me alot, sounds like iom maggied

Lyn Labahn
12-02-06, 08:15 PM
i live in tally, it happens to me alot, sounds like iom maggied

LOL, that I can definitely see how you can draw the the comparison! :thumbsup:

Z06CTSV
12-02-06, 09:18 PM
I'll make an appointment and see if I can get a new pump. Don't want to be stranded somewhere. I'll keep everyone informed.

Thanks...

C-TX-V
12-04-06, 01:53 PM
I took mine in after the same noise during cold weather starts. The dealer flushed the power steering fluid and re-filled it. I left the car outside the other night when we had a hard freeze. The next morning, I started the car and there was no moaning sound. So I guess it fixed the problem. I wanted a new PS pump out of the deal...but the fix works for now, so I have no real complaint.

BigAndyZV
12-04-06, 03:16 PM
ITS NOT THE PUMP!
I live in dallas tx, the 1st night it got really cold I woke up the next morning and had the same problem. I took it to the dealer immediately, where at 10am, there were 5 V's at the dealership all with the same problem, on the same day. The power steering fluid contracts at cold temperatures, allowing air into that chamber...the noise is the air working itself through the system, the noise goes away after the engine heats up bc the fluid expands and takes the air out.
You need to have your fluid filled slightly above the fill line... and this will take care of the problem, covered under warranty and took an hour. I talked with my service supervisor and the really interesting thing will be when it gets hot again, and the fluid expands taking up even more space when our resevoirs are filled slightly over where they should be, leaving almost no room for the expanding fluid to take up more space....POP!! so i definitely left a mental note for after winter to drain a little out.

BeagleBrains
12-04-06, 04:28 PM
There is a service bulletin. I got off work, started up the V; lots of noise when turning the steering wheel. Went directly to the Cadi Dealer. A service bulletin identified the very problem. They performed a flush and installed new fluid. After about six weeks, quiet, reliable.

1QUICKV
12-04-06, 06:17 PM
Mine started making noise too this weekend because its getting cold in brooklyn but i just added oil and it went away. So will see what happens

jasaero
12-05-06, 06:09 AM
ITS NOT THE PUMP!
I live in dallas tx, the 1st night it got really cold I woke up the next morning and had the same problem. I took it to the dealer immediately, where at 10am, there were 5 V's at the dealership all with the same problem, on the same day. The power steering fluid contracts at cold temperatures, allowing air into that chamber...the noise is the air working itself through the system, the noise goes away after the engine heats up bc the fluid expands and takes the air out.
You need to have your fluid filled slightly above the fill line... and this will take care of the problem, covered under warranty and took an hour. I talked with my service supervisor and the really interesting thing will be when it gets hot again, and the fluid expands taking up even more space when our resevoirs are filled slightly over where they should be, leaving almost no room for the expanding fluid to take up more space....POP!! so i definitely left a mental note for after winter to drain a little out.

Mine does the same thing. I live in Fort Worth and now that it's warmed a bit in the day it doesn't even do it during daylight hours. So I figure I will just add a bit of power steering fluid. Seems other GM cars I have owned do this same thing?? Wonder why they haven't ever figured out a way to get around this annoyance?

Z06CTSV
12-13-06, 04:07 PM
ITS NOT THE PUMP!

Thanks... I'll have them check that..

Z06CTSV
12-13-06, 04:16 PM
Noise is gone...Took V to dealer. Told him to check fluid level. They called back that it was the belt tensioner. I don't know how too read their invoice for part numbers, here's what I got:

J0680 TENSIONER
12569301 TENSIONER

Hope this helps someone...

Z06CTSV
12-18-06, 10:28 AM
There is a service bulletin. I got off work, started up the V; lots of noise when turning the steering wheel. Went directly to the Cadi Dealer. A service bulletin identified the very problem. They performed a flush and installed new fluid. After about six weeks, quiet, reliable.

Must be a combination (low fluid/belt tensioner), maybe the low fluid caused belt tensioner problem (weird)...:suspense: