: About to Purchase a V

me_dimitri
12-01-06, 02:11 PM
Hi,

I've been scanning the forum and it has definitely been a great source of information.

I am looking to trade in my 01 Corvette vert as I am newly married and in need of a back seat. I have been a long time GM buyer, (silly loyal me), and was looking at the STS-V and the CTS-V. I like the look of the CTS-V better coming from the Vette.

I see a few owners from Canada and Ontario and The Northern States and was wondering if the V was a decent year rounder with a good set of snows on narrower rims?

Any suggestions / comments appreciated.

Dimitri
In Toronto

CIWS
12-01-06, 02:22 PM
Greetings and :welcome: There are several V owners up there in the North and Canada that should be able to answer your question about its "Whiteability" :)

urbanski
12-01-06, 02:37 PM
there's 2 threads active in CTS now about winter-CTSs. No, not Vs, but same principles apply.

V06
12-01-06, 02:45 PM
I am looking to trade in my 01 Corvette vert as I am newly married and in need of a back seat.

Welcome and congratulations on the marriage; you're a lucky man.... My wife still insists that I let her ride in the front seat. I haven't been able to convince her to take a back seat yet.
:)

heavymetals
12-01-06, 02:50 PM
Newly married and your choice is between a stick or an automatic?

I take it your wife can drive either.

Sounds like your married life is starting out well!:thumbsup:

Albertan
12-01-06, 03:20 PM
Welcome to the forum. As you can see, I'm from Calgary. Last week was a "challenge" driving, record cold and snow. Last year I bought a 3.6 CTS auto loaded I have Goodyear RSA tires runs very well through the snow. Only problem I have with the car is that my wife won't let me drive it... So next week I'm flying to Ohio and picking up a 2006 V with F1 tires and driving back to Calgary.
I'm hoping to avoid a lot of snow on those tires. Of course snow isn't usually the problem, it's the ice that the snow becomes that is not a lot of fun. Stability control comes into it's own on the ice. With almost 50/50 weight distribution it isn't the same as those 1975 Chevs with all the weight on the front end and rear wheel drive. Biggest downside to winter driving is you will get it all dirty, I know my wife seems to have found mud to drive through now that it is melting.
Bruce

svassh
12-01-06, 03:21 PM
Newly married and your choice is between a stick or an automatic?

I take it your wife can drive either.

Sounds like your married life is starting out well!:thumbsup:

What makes you think he'll let the wife drive it? I don't let mine ....

unless she tells me to.

rand49er
12-01-06, 05:29 PM
... So next week I'm flying to Ohio and picking up a 2006 V with F1 tires and driving back to Calgary.
I'm hoping to avoid a lot of snow on those tires. ...Bruce, if you encounter snow with those F1s, you won't be able to get up even a modest grade. Any way you can get them changed before you pick up the car? To RSA A/S maybe? (BTW, you're gonna love the car!)

Oh, yeah, "Welcome Dimitri !!!" :welcome:

mike041357
12-01-06, 07:56 PM
I'm from Colorado and even the thought of any snow/ice with F1s scare the :eek: out of me!

I put on Pirelli SnowSports in the winter months and finally had a chance to check it out this week. Unfortuntately, the fresh snow was a little deep (6") and slippery and I barely made it up the hill in front of my house. The traction control was permantly engaged and it wouldn't let me go faster than about 1 MPH no matter how much I pushed the pedal!

Now on the packed stuff it's a lot better and I can get around. Stay away from summer tires on any ice/snow as the rubber compound is too hard.

Good Luck!

C66 Racing
12-01-06, 11:14 PM
Dimitri,
Welcome aboard. :cheers:

Pretty new here myself having just made the same move you are looking at - 02 Z06 to a CTS-V... well there was the few years in there that I turned my Z06 into a racecar and commuted in my F350, but I know where you are coming from. :D

It snowed a lot here in the Puget Sound this week and I left my CTS-V (on F1SCs) in the garage all week and I do have a good deal of experience driving in the snow... unlike most of the rest of those who live here. I have a steep hill to get out of the neighborhood and it wasn't plowed all week. Many people could not get out. In general, our roads were not plowed well anywhere around where I work and I was afraid I'd pummel the Vs low nose in the snow... or destroy the rocker panels with the grit laid down everywhere. Drove my F350 (4x4) all week.

Overall though, very happy with the CTS-V as a Vette replacement unit.

me_dimitri
12-04-06, 12:59 PM
Many thanks for all the feedback and tips, (humourus and otherwise)...

The back seat is not actually for the wife, it is for the inlaws :rolleyes:
(although the road noise of the Vette could come in handy some times :) )

I am in Toronto most of the time, (which really doesn't get much snow), but do make the run to Ottawa, which gets substantially more, for holidays etc.

I always assumed I would need the best set of snows possible to move at all in snow / ice with all that torque.

Hopefully I won't draw too much scorn when I say it looks like I will probably be purchasing the STS-V instead. (My dealer has layered on some additional incentives I can't refuse).

But at least i'm still in the family.

I assume all the advice applies in similar measures to the STS-V.

Many Thanks,

Dimitri
(New Caddy Frat Member)

CIWS
12-04-06, 01:10 PM
Nothing wrong with the STS-V dude. I'm sure Cadi is dealing great on them right now. :)

heavymetals
12-04-06, 03:44 PM
That back seat will be empty after you give the in-laws a "white knuckler".:eek:

Silver Dollar
12-04-06, 04:58 PM
...The back seat is not actually for the wife, it is for the inlaws :rolleyes:

You're a good son-in-law. :)

zozmanCTS-V
12-04-06, 05:50 PM
I am looking to trade in my 01 Corvette vert as I am newly married and in need of a back seat. I have been a long time GM buyer, (silly loyal me), and was looking at the STS-V and the CTS-V. I like the look of the CTS-V better coming from the Vette.

I see a few owners from Canada and Ontario and The Northern States and was wondering if the V was a decent year rounder with a good set of snows on narrower rims?

Any suggestions / comments appreciated.

Dimitri
In Toronto

I garage my Z06 and the wife garages her V. We use four-wheel drive vehicles here in the winter in Illinois. Fifteen inches of snow and massive roadway tie-ups here last Friday is only one reason. Manual transmissions along with the Goodyear F1 tires is another. Did I mention road salt? Buy the V, but keep it safe and dry in the garage during the winter. :thumbsup:

Randy

Dick's06Vee
12-05-06, 03:28 PM
Dimitri....Bought my 06 Vee a year ago this month. Seven inches of new snow on the ground when I left the dealership. Drove right out onto some side roads that were not as yet plowed. Did some starts, stops and was very happy with the handling in the snow. Like others here have said. A balance of nearly 50/50 really helps and with the addition of TC and RSA tires, I have zero issues about driving the Vee during the winter. It makes a great winter beater!! Dick

rand49er
12-05-06, 04:16 PM
... It makes a great winter beater!! Dick:showoff:

(j/k)

Albertan
12-05-06, 10:04 PM
Rand
I'll be picking my car up on Friday. I checked weather and forecast is for sunny and 36F all the way back here. So it looks like I won't have to hole up for a storm.

Dick
Reminds me of the time I was looking for a winter beater to replace my fast 1956 Chev. I ended up with a 1968 Olds 442 4 speed with 3.91 rear. It had so much torque driving in low gear tires would break loose if I stepped on the gas too hard. Made a great winter car, great heater. Lousy gas mileage.
Bruce