: Silly bass problem. Help?

Lord Cadillac
12-01-06, 11:11 AM
I recently had a small system installed and there's something the installer is explaining to me that I need help with. He's saying that there's a part I need if I want my bass to increase along with the volume past the half-way mark. He says (and I notice) that as I raise my volume, the bass only increases to the half way mark - while the volume to the other speakers still raises as I increase the volume..

Whatever this part is, it's taking almost 2 months to obtain and I don't want to wait any longer. What is the name of this part? I'd like to get it from somewhere else...

Thank you...

CadillacSTS42005
12-01-06, 01:06 PM
yup
thats ac delcos / bose way of insuring you dont blow the crappy drivers... so it cuts the bass down to prevent failure...

now as fort his part im not quite sure what he means...
there are very expensive parts and cheep ones but remember you get what you pay for...

also what did they use in the install for the rca level outputs to the amp?
a simple rca converter and if so which one????

MachX
12-01-06, 09:35 PM
Actually, if you are talking about the factory head unit, they have a built in attenuating loudness control. (as do most factory head units) You get increased bass at low levels to keep it audible, then as you turn the volume up the bass is returned to normal level.

dp102288
12-02-06, 08:37 AM
Sal asks for help any I have no damn clue what he is talking about! :mad:

:leaving:

CadillacSTS42005
12-02-06, 09:07 AM
you dont have bose in any of your cars dp....
do you?

dp102288
12-02-06, 09:30 PM
Nope...you should like that! :D

Well, the Vette, but I don't drive that.

CadillacSTS42005
12-02-06, 10:04 PM
bose aint bad for factory
but its a bitch to work with...
at this point thought its no different to me than connecting a set of subs and an amp...
i can do anything essentially with bose...

dp102288
12-03-06, 07:45 AM
^^ Meh. The sound in the Vette doesn't sound too different from anything else. I just don't have that kind of ear I guess. All sounds the same to me!

MachX
12-03-06, 12:52 PM
With that burly Vette exhaust, I'm surprised you can hear the radio at all! :p

dp102288
12-04-06, 07:32 AM
^^ The inside isn't that loud at all in the highway...its when I leave it in second on the highway that it is a "little loud"! :p

chazglenn3
12-05-06, 12:14 PM
Sadly, the Vette doesn't have the room inside like, say a Seville, that Bose can work with for the speakers and sound fields. The Bose in my STS sure does sound good!

Lord Cadillac
12-05-06, 09:53 PM
Okay. I just had the old amp replaced with a more powerful one. That solved the problem because there's enough bass now that even at half-volume, it's almost too much for the speakers..

However! I've come across a new problem and I'm afraid I'll have no way to explain this to the installer...

I noticed when I got into my truck yesterday morning - everything seemed a bit lower than usual. Normally, at even the first hint of volume, I have a fair rumble of bass coming from the subwoofers.. Not this time.. As I was driving along - not thinking much of it - all the sudden - BOOM! The whole stereo system gets very loud! The front speakers, back AND the subwoofers - as loud as I remembered previously.

So that told me - yes - there's a problem. As I'd adjust the volume, it would BOOM in and out. At one point, it would be very low - but as I'd increase the volume - like a short re-connecting - BOOM! It would burst loud again! And it had nothing to do with going over bumps or anything. This would happen while driving on a smooth road or stopped completely..

Now, I've got nothing but low bass.. Even the low bass is fairly powerful, however.. But *I* know it's not right. I know that somewhere or somehow - there's a BURST of about 50% power that I'm not getting..

What The Heck Happened?! Sigh.......

CadillacSTS42005
12-05-06, 09:59 PM
1st what equip do you have in the car thus far i thought you decided on the basslink?
2nd how was the install done any ideas?
3rd this SOUND like the factory bass adjustment is kickin on and of...
I know on my dads 98 STS on his radio there is an auto volume control which you can turn on and off
you MAY wanna try turning that off 1st if you can to see if that has an affect.
3rd how are the rcas run from your hu to the new subs

on a side note if you want a faster responce i shot you an IM on aim my sn is the same as my name on here (CadillacETC1997)

dp102288
12-06-06, 08:11 AM
The sudden booms sounded like the auto-volume thingy that the Bose in the Vette has. I hate it and keep it off because it doesn't work well. But after reading I don't think that was it because it doesn't sound like you were increasing your speed very much.

CadillacSTS42005
12-06-06, 10:01 AM
also does that based on surrounding noise it detects...
im THINKING his subs booming it thought was a loud noise and turned up the volume then down b.c subs off then on ya kno?

dp102288
12-06-06, 09:02 PM
It also monitors outer sounds too? Damn!

CadillacSTS42005
12-06-06, 09:13 PM
via the mic in the car...
on caddys is that little vent looking thing in the overhead console....
im like 80% sure on this....

chazglenn3
12-06-06, 10:27 PM
Yes, on the Bose 4.0 system in the 98-04 Sevilles there is a microphone in the overhead console to detect ambient noise and adjust the frequencies that are being blocked or blotted out by the noise. Much more advanced that the usual auto volume control that just turns up the volume the faster you drive. There is probably a similar set up in Sal's Escalade.

CadillacSTS42005
12-06-06, 11:16 PM
there goes Chaz
gettin all technical and giving the in depth explanation on it rofl
thanks man i more of a do as i say not heres why do what i say you saved me from typing out a long explanation

dp102288
12-07-06, 07:33 AM
Oh. Our 00 SLS has the scary looking mic thingy...I thought it was for the gov't to hear what we were saying!

But that car doesn't have Bose...:hmm:

CadillacSTS42005
12-07-06, 12:33 PM
doesnt matter
you think they would of bothered to produce another piece to not have that grille?
ill let you answer that for yourself...

chazglenn3
12-07-06, 07:21 PM
That, or your mic is for On Star...does the car have that?

CadillacSTS42005
12-07-06, 07:22 PM
onstar...
what a waste of money imho....

dp102288
12-07-06, 07:59 PM
No Onstar either.

I think I would like Onstar, but I never used it.

chazglenn3
12-08-06, 01:26 AM
Really...I thought that OnStar was standard in 2000 Sevilles. Must have been 2001 when they started making it standard. The 2000 cars were probably pre-wired for it from the factory...since OnStar was probably a dealer-installed option.

chazglenn3
12-08-06, 01:32 AM
onstar...
what a waste of money imho....

True...but it would be fun for the first year while the servcie is free. I rented a 2006 STS from Hertz earlier this year, and didn't realize that it was free the first year. I pushed the button for fun and then the OnStar advisor came on the line...I told her I was just pushing buttons and didn't know it was on, and she told me the service is free the first year and active on the new cars when delivered.

the727kid
12-08-06, 07:52 AM
Onstar the shit....it's tight as hell to talk to someone hands free w/o a cell in the car. Plus reservations, directions, movie times, ect. It is a non visual Navigation System, cept aftermarket can't reserve you things and buy your tickets in advance.

dp102288
12-08-06, 07:54 AM
Well ours is an SLS if it matters.

That's a good way for me to try Onstar...get a rental!

CadillacSTS42005
12-08-06, 09:28 AM
onstar could be had on the sls or sts

KURT
12-17-06, 07:50 AM
king: did you intentionally name this thread with Paul Mccartney in mind?