: dash light replacement

capn
03-04-04, 10:44 PM
Hey all

soon im going to be putting in a new CD player in my eldo, and its a blue light up LCD. and i want everything to flow so is there any way to change the green numbers and readouts on the display (information center, mpg, range, etc.) to a blue color to match?

LacSeville
03-05-04, 10:20 AM
do you have green leds for the speedo and stuff? that's the way it is in my 91, and i'm getting tired of the green too! something i've thought about doing is, go buy some colored transparent contact paper, and cut it to fit over the gauges. I'm going to try a purple or orange, and just see what color i get! it'd probably have a purple or orange tint all the time, but maybe not too harsh.

capn
03-05-04, 06:33 PM
no my needles and stuff are white, but i would like the side info bars to be blue instead of green so it goes with this

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/5264/5264019cv1a.jpg

LacSeville
03-05-04, 11:49 PM
ohhh man, that is soooo clean! what model is that? how much it set you back? niiiice!

Pimpin_Whity
03-06-04, 04:14 PM
Hi.

If you want to replace your gauges go here
http://www.autoaccessorystore.com/home.asp?dir=search_res&cat=4&cat_name=Interior&sub_id=25&sub_name=Glow%20Gauges
I've never seen a replacement for the green console lights.

capn
03-06-04, 06:08 PM
i dont want to replace the gauges just the green parts i saw on S2ki.com that a person did something like that and had to change the indiglo element in the back im not sure if thats the case here

and thats the pioneer DEH-8500 and its about 500 bones

and this is what a S2000 owner did with his (note the interior is supposed to be red)

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=120136

http://www.s2ki.com/imagecatalog/imageview/30254/6/

Playdrv4me
03-07-04, 08:21 AM
i dont want to replace the gauges just the green parts i saw on S2ki.com that a person did something like that and had to change the indiglo element in the back im not sure if thats the case here

and thats the pioneer DEH-8500 and its about 500 bones

and this is what a S2000 owner did with his (note the interior is supposed to be red)

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=120136

http://www.s2ki.com/imagecatalog/imageview/30254/6/

Indiglo as you call it, or electroluminescence, is only a factor on LCD displays, the displays in the eldo are more than likely Vacuum Flourescent displays, which create light in a different manner. Taking this into account, the only real way to change the color of the numbers would be to put some kind of transparent filter over them as mentioned above.

btw... that s2000 dash kicks ass, especially the "knight rider" style gauge at the top.

Night Wolf
03-07-04, 10:10 AM
yeah, that S2000 is nice.... I was reading the thread on their site, and I guess the factory tach (the big digital bar across the top) changes color as you "hit V-tec" hmmmm.... all that rush.....

Anyway, my favorite color is blue, I like a nice deep blue... I got my Alpine CDA-9807 becuase it, besides the other one for $600 is the only Alpine that is blue.... IMO blue and silver are the 2 colors that go together like nothing else.... my cell phone is silver and has nice blue back lights, and I chose the Delphi Roady over the SkyFi (XM radio) becuase you can change the backlights and get a nice blue.....

.... I have been thinking about trying to switch my speedo to the digital one, but it got me thinking, that will be alit more difficult... I would like to change all the lights in my car to blue.... being that the color scheme of the car at night is.... white (except for the FDC and ECC and speedo needle) all I have to do is take out everything that has lights in them, and either install blue lights, or buy high temp paint and paint the bulbs blue... then I will get the blue glow.... I figured I'll stay with the analog speedo too....

... about the digital part... on my FDC and ECC it is the green LCD.... you *COULD* open them up and go through the much difficult of changing them over.... but I may try that transparent tape thing... right now in physics we are going over light waves and stuff, so I will just look back in my notes and see what color you have to add to green to get blue..... If I ever get this done, my whole dash will be blue at night, the A;pine is silver/blue and the XM Roady is silver/blue.... so is my cell phone... that is gonna be really neat.

*the HUin that S2k is the next Alpine to have the blue lights.... it is really nice also.... then again mine wasn't cheap either :canttalk:

capn
03-07-04, 11:30 AM
well thats going to be hard to accomplish with just tape inserts or whatever, becase a blue over green light prolly wont look right. but today i tear into the dash of my eldo to see if i can change the lights wish me luck

Pimpin_Whity
03-07-04, 02:39 PM
i think orange tape should make the gree blue. But anyways u probably wont get a matching color. u should try to replace the green leds or whatever they are for some blue ones, that wont be that simple though.

Night Wolf
03-07-04, 06:13 PM
Well, today I have the dash to my '93 CDV all apart... I went to Advance and realized they sell rpealcement bulbs that are already blue (they have red also) $2 for a pack of 2, so I bought 5 packs (all that was on the shelf) they are a direct replacement for the back lights of my instrument cluster.... the FDC and ECC use smaller bulbs, and I am gonna have to get blue tape to put it over the palstic that the light shines through..... I wasn't able to get the light swithc out tonight (not engouh wire.. can hardly pull it out...but something I noticed, the PLASTIC LENS for all the digital displays are green, when I connected it to the car without the faceplate, the display is a neutral, almost blue-green, but it mainly get's it's color from the lens... so applying some kind of colored transparent tape on the INSIDE would keep a nice clean look....

... since I don't have my insturment cluster out, I changed the bulb for my window lock switch, so that it lights up blue, so far I like it, but it isn't totally dark yet.... in a few mins I will go out and try it.... I didn't want to take the dash out (again) yet, as I would rather wait until I get my new front speakers for the car, so I don't hae to take it out AGAIN....

Night Wolf
03-07-04, 06:20 PM
Well, I just tired it out, and wow... I like it... it isn't a deep blue (like i like) but more of a cyan or something... still pretty nice... the window lock had a regular bulbe, the speedo cluster and shifter thingy have the regular bulbs... I need to try and take the light switch thing out and see if that uses the regular blubs (hope so) or the really small ones... the FDC and ECC use the small ones too....

.... I think that the FDC and ECC will end up staying like they are, because I doubt I will get them to be blue, being that they have the plastic stuff that shine the light... it is hard to make it blue without a blue light.... but I am not worried about that, maybe tomorrow I'll try to get that light switch out...

capn
03-07-04, 06:26 PM
well as i have just found out the bulbs can not be switched out as i could do in my honda ( i broke one:disappoin ) so now i'll have to get a new buld and just put covers on the bulbs instead of replacing them. and as for the digital display part that is the vacuum type as indicated so cover for that and a whole lot of taping