: Spun Caddy-V into Ditch - Help

caddyVkid
11-30-06, 11:55 AM
I spun my 2005 cadillac cts-v into a ditch last night (horrible roads) and was able to get out but I cracked my front bumper and the wheel well guards are all out of place. Also, I see a silver metal box hanging from under the engine onto the ground, its hooked to some cables. Its located towards the front of the car on the drivers side. The car runs fine. This whole situation could have been alot worse.

Im waiting on getting it towed as we speak.

First question:
1. Whats the best way to go about replacing my front bumper and wheel wells? Dealership for everything? Can I get a pre-painted (black) bumper from the dealership? How much will this cost me?

2. What is this part hanging out from under my engine? What do you think happened, a bracket for this part snapped? I was going to have a regular shop look at this first, this is where im having the car towed. What do you think?

3. What else on the car should I have looked at after flying into a ditch?

Thanks for the help

urbanski
11-30-06, 11:58 AM
ahha oh man, been there done that
the box is the PCM, carefully use a bungy-cord to secure it, do NOT let it get pulled on or messed up.
bumpers come unpainted. your body shop of choice can match your paint.

nikon
11-30-06, 11:59 AM
well, the little metal box is your pcm (brains of the car) be vawy vawy careful..or thats one expensive repair...as for the bumper and stuff, I'm not sure but I dont think you can buy that prepainted...wheel wells are an easy fix..its just plastic with x-mas trees holding them in...but you might as well have a body shop fix it all, dealer is going to rape you on cost...you can do all of it yourself, really not that hard.

caddyVkid
11-30-06, 12:03 PM
the PCM.. why is it hanging out? what broke? expensive replacement?

urbanski
11-30-06, 12:07 PM
its held up with a very thin fragile plastic box that you torpedoed....trust me i've done it twice

urbanski
11-30-06, 12:08 PM
well chances are you didnt kill the PCM, unless it looks dented or something. and its only a $400 part. but you want to avoid having it ripped out :) that woudl be bad

caddyVkid
11-30-06, 12:10 PM
is that pretty easy to bungee cord back in? how do I do it, I wont tow my car if I can do that

how do I know if the PCM is good? the car seems to run fine, so the PCM should be good?

how much is that box going to cost, how much should I pay to have that fixed?

urbanski
11-30-06, 12:19 PM
no clue about the plastic box....the dealer/body shop can evaluate all the bad parts and order them all.
ya, if it runs the PCM should be fine.
bungee it? just crawl up under it and secure it lol! just dont let it drag. good luck.

caddyVkid
11-30-06, 12:35 PM
should I just do all of this at the dealership?

NIK
11-30-06, 01:37 PM
None of this covered by your insurance? Or are you trying to avoid an insurance claim?

rand49er
11-30-06, 02:13 PM
None of this covered by your insurance? Or are you trying to avoid an insurance claim?Could it be ... :alchi: .

Been there, done that.

v-ape
11-30-06, 02:31 PM
Did the po-po's show up? When I was 18 I got my parents car stuck in a ditch on some deserted country road in the middle of the night in NJ a long time ago. I got lucky that someone came by with a large pickup (I guess thats more common than not out there though) and pulled the GTI out. It needed a new alignment and a wash.

Dont forget to check your alignment too. Our tires cost enough that you dont want to sleep on that.

Woody_MI
11-30-06, 03:34 PM
Wasn't that a deer I seen darting out in front of you? That was an incredible manuver you made to avoid hitting that deer and potentially do way more damage to the V! :highfive:

nikon
11-30-06, 05:15 PM
how old are you anyways...y'know just the whole "kid" part in your name...what like 16?

CIWS
11-30-06, 05:48 PM
Wasn't that a deer I seen darting out in front of you? That was an incredible manuver you made to avoid hitting that deer and potentially do way more damage to the V! :highfive:

Hahah you're good. :)

Pillboy
11-30-06, 06:45 PM
Glad you are OK. BTW, did stability control try to help?

caddyVkid
11-30-06, 07:16 PM
v-ape: po-po's did not show up.

nikon: just turned 22

pillboy: not really sure

My V is still the apartment complex I left it in last night, the roads are too bad for me to go get it and it just keeps hailing little tiny balls (has been all day), I would just wreck it again. I hope my car is ok, it sucks just leaving it where I have it. The shitty thing is, its supposed to snow even harder tonight and tomorrow. Im not sure what to do.

RightTurn
11-30-06, 08:11 PM
....trust me i've done it twice

:eek:

CIWS
11-30-06, 08:13 PM
:eek:

Ask him how long in between :yup:

RightTurn
12-01-06, 07:37 PM
Ask him how long in between :yup:

OK. :thumbsup:

"Urby, how long in between??" :food-snacking:

wildwhl
12-01-06, 10:24 PM
glad urby is here to field this one...I'd have no clue how to answer :canttalk:

WW

Wife_took_my_Cadi
12-02-06, 02:37 AM
I spun my 2005 cadillac cts-v into a ditch last night (horrible roads) ......................

This is my personal favorite line. First it is "I"......... then it is (horrible roads)........ :bigroll:

I have seen way to many people that drive or try to drive above their ability. I have even done it a time or to but in all the bad situations "I" new I screwed up and said so.

rgd
12-03-06, 12:14 AM
should I just do all of this at the dealership?

Since I haven't seen any reply to your questions I thought I would offer my thoughts. If money is no object by all means have a dealership fix your car. But, if I were you, I would save the money for a track day or three and do the repairs myself. I am assuming when you say the front bumper you are talking about the front cover (as listed in Cadillac parts catalog). You can buy those pre-painted if I am reading the catalog correctly for just over $500.00 at list price. You can usually get a deal if you ask. The wheel wells are about $40 each or $80 per side. Unless of course you have blown thru a few sets then they are cheaper. lol 2nd or 2nd and 1/2 set discounts! If you are at all mechanical everything is easy to replace. A 2nd set of hands helps with bumper but not completely necessary.

A couple jack stands, a floor jack, size 10 or 1/2" wrench (pretty sure its one of those two sizes) flat screw driver and pliers to pull out the plastic dudahs holding it together is all you should need to replace front cover. As far as the PCM box goes, get a good light and take a look. Almost everything is fixable.

Good luck...
I hope everything turns out ok for you.
:thumbsup:
rgd

caddyVkid
12-05-06, 02:12 PM
where do I get this cadillac parts catalog?

Is it really that easy to replace the front bumper cover? Does the grill have to be replaced?

ctsvett
12-06-06, 02:02 AM
ctspartslist.pdf

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/doclib.html

Reed

caddyVkid
12-06-06, 05:00 PM
i called the caddy dealership and they said I couldn't order factory parts pre-painted... he made it sound like I couldn't order factory parts at all myself...

anyone know anything more about this?

btw thanks for that cts-v documentation site, alot of good stuff there

atdeneve
12-07-06, 08:18 AM
The factory parts come primed and are not painted. They will require paint matching to your vehicle's paint code.

If your dealer insists that you are not able to order factory parts yourself, he is tugging your balls. Basically, he wants to leave you no option but to order through them at a ridiculously inflated price.